Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has installed one of these new Alpine 9" Halo units in their second gen? I really want a double din, but am NOT excited about cutting up the truck. Single din flip up does not work due to blocking vents. Love the idea of the alpine halo but its a massive screen. I want CarPlay functionality and to keep a clean look.

Stumped right now and figured I'd ask all of you. Not sure whether I have a body shop modify the dash for a true double din or go Alpine halo. I'm aware either route is going to cost money, my main priority is a clean look.

Thoughts?! Load me up with some opinions!

Jake

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just ordered the Halo 9 and will be installing it in a week or so once it gets here. I have a 3rd gen so my install won't be exactly the same as yours. But once I install it I can give you a better idea of functionality, looks, that type of stuff. My brother has a second gen and he plans on installing a cheaper version of the Halo 9 (same concept of a single din with a giant screen sticking out of it).

I'll let you know how it goes!

Isaac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered the Halo 9 and will be installing it in a week or so once it gets here. I have a 3rd gen so my install won't be exactly the same as yours. But once I install it I can give you a better idea of functionality, looks, that type of stuff. My brother has a second gen and he plans on installing a cheaper version of the Halo 9 (same concept of a single din with a giant screen sticking out of it).

I'll let you know how it goes!

Isaac
Just as i started selling myself on the classic look of keeping the single din..... lol

Let me know what you think! If you really like it, I might pull the trigger as well.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Google image search turned one up.. nice looking head unit, I think it would work especially good in an upper 3rd gen since theres is a lot of empty space around the heat unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got the unit installed. Overall I’m very happy with it, lets me use apple CarPlay, and the screen is enormous for my backup camera. Took a few hours for the install to solder everything and play around with it to get it right. If you end up getting it I highly recommend getting the $10 parking brake bypass on amazon or eBay. Alpine has a safety feature that locks the settings unless the parking brake is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.