Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with nitto terra grapplers had any problems with a vibration after putting them on?
Has it been a common thing with the terra grapplers to have a vibration? I would assume not but figured I would ask.

I have just put on some 295/70/17's on my 2010 and it has a pretty good vibration now. It is the worst between 60 & 70 mph. I had the tire shop re-balance them and the vibration is still there. Going to take it to the dealer to make sure there is nothing going with the truck before going back to the tire dealer. The tire dealer is aware there is still a vibration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I recently put nitto terra grapplers on my truck, 305/70/17, and I'm getting the same vibration in between 60 to 80. Had the tire shop balance them 3 different times but still the same. Just wondering if anyone besides us had this same problem and a fix.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have had the same problem from day one with my terra grapplers (305's). I have had them balanced 3 times and roadforced, I still get a vibration and wandering issues with them. I have replaced everything in the front end and had the truck aligned. So far these are the worst tires I have owned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
nitto terra's

I have the 295's on my truck. This is my second set. Had the same problem. Try 32psi in rear tires when running light. Helped mine alot. Also keeps from wearing out tire centers. These are good tires just picky on air pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea I've had these tires for only a week and they've been balanced 3 times already as well. What psi are you running in the front? I was beginning to think that all 4 were out of round. I hope the air pressure is the trick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Currently have the same tires and yes had the same problem. The tire shop tried three times to get it right. Had to take it to the dealership to get it right. As long as I rotated about every 6000 miles or so its been good. Got a little over 30000 out of them so far. Going with the Cooper ST Maxx next.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No problems here - 45 psi front/35 psi rear

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ya I had the vibe, I attributed it to being so wide at a 325 but since I read this I guess not. I have 295 70 18 Nitto Trails now and no vibration.

Reactions: Dieselus Maximus

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Yea I've had these tires for only a week and they've been balanced 3 times already as well. What psi are you running in the front? I was beginning to think that all 4 were out of round. I hope the air pressure is the trick.
take in mind the air pressure they are recomending is for their 285's, your 305's require a different pressure. Good luck, Ive experimented with many different pressures and they still ride like crap and vibrate.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Ya I had the vibe, I attributed it to being so wide at a 325 but since I read this I guess not. I have 295 70 18 Nitto Trails now and no vibration.
Wide tires do have some more issues than skinnier tires, but I will say that I have ran many sets of superswampers that are much wider and have never had the issues with them I am having with these nitto's.

·
RACE KTM
953 Posts
Make sure you tire shop is road force balancing your tires. That's very important, as the process measures tire and wheel "run out" and matches the high spot on one with the low spot on the other, thus leading to a better ride and virtually no "come backs" for vibration.

It's also possible to have tires that simply will not road force balance, and the tire shop will have to keep trying tires until they find acceptable tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, I have the same exact problem as you guys. 60-80 MPH is terrible, and right about 43-45 MPH there is also a slight vibration. I have mine set at the max PSI of 50 PSI.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have it with my Trail Grapplers. Been trying different things since I got them thinking it was front end issue but I cant find anything bad so I'm assuming tires. I had them balanced twice and then road forced. I get a shake from them when they warm up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
WOW, it's a good thing I saw this thread as I was just about to purchase a set of 305/70/17.

That's unacceptable in my opinion. Surprised so many have this problem and Nitto hasn't acknowledged it.

I guess I'll start looking elsewhere. Perhaps Toyo A/T II. But not sure I want to reward the parent company of Nitto.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Toyo AT2 would be sweet. I did lower pressure to45 front and 40 rear it did help alot. II'maassuming at a certain pressure they start bouncing on the road like basketball's.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have been running my terra grapplers for over 32k miles with no vibration issues at all. The truck does feel like it wanders a bit but it did that with the original tires. I run my 285-75-17's at the max pressure (80 psi) and have them rotated every 5k miles (its free for me where I bought the tires) and I think I can easily get another 20k out of them, maybe more. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones???

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the 305/70/17 terra grapplers no vibration just didn't get but about 25k out of them now got the315/70/17 in trail grapplers and love them got 17k on them and still well over half tread more like 3/4 tread

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I have no complaints at all about my Terra Grapplers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts