Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all! i keep getting conflicting info and would like to get to the bottom of this. how much should i be able to move my driveshaft around inside my carrier bearing?

i mean if you just reach undr there and grab it, it seems i can move it about a half inch. and i think its shot. now....mind you it takes some pushing to move it that much, and at rest it still seems to be suspended in the middle like it should.

any feedback would be so appreciated!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Shouldn't really move too much... can you see into the rubber parts to see if any of them are torn....

we have replaced a few of them on the dually and just spun the rubber webbing on the inside of the bearing, I'll try to find the link here on the site but there is a upgrade by using a Spicer carrier bearing of a 5500 chassi.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The bearing itself should have NO play in it. The rubber bushing will give a bit. But the rubbers should all be intact without cracks, tears, etc.

What is the issue? I'm not much help but lots of the guys here are a wealth of knowledge. If its a vibration issue I would check u-joints, wheel balance, etc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine on my 06 did exactly what u are talking about had about 1/2-3/4" of play in it and it was causeing a little vibration under a load. so i changed my carrier bearing and problem was solved. hope this helps

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what im experiencing is when i come to a stop, then take off again, i get what feels like a jumping or wheel slippage. its kind of violent. then when i get going it smooths out.

i plow snow and ive noticed that when i was done plowing alot of heavy snow, i would experience this.

the weird part is when the truck sits for a while it seems to quit until i get her under a heavy load again, then it starts back up.

it definitely feels like the problem is behind me when im sittin behind the wheel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would say its the carrier bearing because thats exactly what mine did. mine would do it really bad under a heavy load or when i put the skinny pedal down hard. thats what i would start with and when i did mine i just replaced my rear ujoints as well

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just for argument sake, when it happens do you feel it in the steering wheel or in the seat.
If in the steering wheel, then its the front. The seat, then the driveshaft or rear wheels. Also my driveshaft is pretty firm. Sounds like your carrier bearing, with that much play:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for argument sake, when it happens do you feel it in the steering wheel or in the seat.
If in the steering wheel, then its the front. The seat, then the driveshaft or rear wheels. Also my driveshaft is pretty firm. Sounds like your carrier bearing, with that much play:(
i think i feel it in the seat and floor.
ive ordred a one piece drive shaft from moparparts.com.
with shipping it was 560 bucks. it does come with new u joints. i guess u just remove the carrier and brackets and just bolt it right in.

thanks all for your input. incredibly nice guys on here.

·
Registered
502 Posts
keep us updated and let us know

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Mine does a similar thing but I don't have a carrier bearing, but I'm still willing to bet its part of your problem, if it doesn't solve the issue it probably something that has to do with the limited slip unit in the axle. Mine is bad from getting t-boned and I think it is what caused the damage to the axle but it does something similar every now and then... Drives me crazy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
driveshaft replaced. seems to have worked. the little shutter i always had on take off is gone. guess we'll see what happens when i plow, but i think its fixed. thanks everyone!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well. its not fixed. now we think its the trans. ill keep u posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts