Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase an Edge EZ for my truck I "think". I hear that it is a safe chip to run on a stock truck. What do ya'll think about them? Any other boxes/upgrades you would recommend before the EZ?

·
SuperDuperMod
2,816 Posts
i had the ez and switched to the quad xzt+. the quad is a way better box imo, way cheaper, same power, nearly same mileage gains but for a lot less money you get a lot more features from the quad. cold engine protection, switch on the fly, high idle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an EZ on my truck i like it quite a bit. I get better mileage with it an has plenty of power. But i think Im going to up grade to the juice with attitude so i can monitor more of what the truck is doing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've also seen that a lot of people recommend putting some rv275 injectors on before doing a box. Just trying to pick my poison wisely. I don't want to die from it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am thinking about selling my comp someday soon if you are interested let me know...:hyper:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would go with a juice and monitor for all of the security features that go along with it...the alerts and defueling alone are worth it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with a juice and monitor for all of the security features that go along with it...the alerts and defueling alone are worth it

Do they have a sensible mode for stock trannys....LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do they have a sensible mode for stock trannys....LOL
absolutley....the first mode of the juice is mileage mode....pretty much the same as the EZ except their is a little up arrow that you can push...and let me tell you that little arrow is always asking for it---MAKE TRUCK GO ZOOM ZOOM AND TRANNY GO BOOM BOOM:lol3:

and since you have an 01 it would probably be a good idea to go with the juice so you can get the fuel pressure gauge and warning so that you dont have to deal with a VP44 replacement

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The only sensible mode the Comp has is......Wait there isnt an sensible mode.Just dont be a fool and put it on 5 beat the piss out of it.You can also not tap the wire that goes to the VP and you have all the settings as the E.Z.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have an ez... I like it.. keep it on level one most all the time, It's a huge boost on the injectors from stock settings with them... but I stacked the TST with it, and have a pillar gauge pod..
I enjoyed the mileage increase for certain with it!!! and cooler temps, I'd buy one used if you do, they can be had pretty cheap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I May Be A Little Late With This But Let Me Tell You About The Ez I Have On My Truck. It Is Set On 5. They Must Set Them By Taking The Back Plate Off And Setting The Jumper Where You Want It. I Was Hotshotting. When Pulling A 16000 Lb Load On My 16000 Lbs Of Truck And Trailer Mileage Went From 6.3 To 7.8 Mpg. It Would Stay In Overdrive And Lockup. That Was The Good News. The Bad News- I Have An Automatic. I Burned The Tranny Out Twice And Sheared Off The Bolts On The Torque Converter. Wiped Them Both Out.
I Have Quit Hotshotting But Left The Ez On The Truck. I Have A Sfi Flexplate, A Ptc Triple Disk Torque Converter, Better Disks, And Valve Body. Ptc In Muscle Shoals Built It For Me. I Also Changed The Trans Cooler To 2 10"x 15" S Flow And A 30" Finned Cooler. It Stays Real Cool In Od When Going Fast. 75mph. It Warms Up In Town. Right Now I'm Looking For A Lockup Switch That I'm Comfortable With. I Am Trying To Design It Myself But Having Problems. I Put Guages (pyrometer, Tranns Temp, And Boost) On My Truck. The Temps Stay Low And Boost Is Fine.
I Like The Ez But Either Set It At 1,2, Or 3 Or Plan On Doing Trans Work If Your Loading It Heavy. I Love The Power And Torque. I Seen One On Ebay For $215 Yesterday. They Range From There To $450. The're Easy To Install. I Don't Know About Other Units But To Me It Was Pretty Cheap Hp. Believe It Or Not I Bought Mine Used And Have Had It On There Since '04.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I May Be A Little Late With This But Let Me Tell You About The Ez I Have On My Truck. It Is Set On 5. They Must Set Them By Taking The Back Plate Off And Setting The Jumper Where You Want It. I Was Hotshotting. When Pulling A 16000 Lb Load On My 16000 Lbs Of Truck And Trailer Mileage Went From 6.3 To 7.8 Mpg. It Would Stay In Overdrive And Lockup. That Was The Good News. The Bad News- I Have An Automatic. I Burned The Tranny Out Twice And Sheared Off The Bolts On The Torque Converter. Wiped Them Both Out.
I Have Quit Hotshotting But Left The Ez On The Truck. I Have A Sfi Flexplate, A Ptc Triple Disk Torque Converter, Better Disks, And Valve Body. Ptc In Muscle Shoals Built It For Me. I Also Changed The Trans Cooler To 2 10"x 15" S Flow And A 30" Finned Cooler. It Stays Real Cool In Od When Going Fast. 75mph. It Warms Up In Town. Right Now I'm Looking For A Lockup Switch That I'm Comfortable With. I Am Trying To Design It Myself But Having Problems. I Put Guages (pyrometer, Tranns Temp, And Boost) On My Truck. The Temps Stay Low And Boost Is Fine.
I Like The Ez But Either Set It At 1,2, Or 3 Or Plan On Doing Trans Work If Your Loading It Heavy. I Love The Power And Torque. I Seen One On Ebay For $215 Yesterday. They Range From There To $450. The're Easy To Install. I Don't Know About Other Units But To Me It Was Pretty Cheap Hp. Believe It Or Not I Bought Mine Used And Have Had It On There Since '04.
Not what I wanted to hear. I won't be hauling much with it, but when I do I guess I need to take it EZ.

Those guys at PTC are great. They built me a custom lowstall converter for my old jeep and it was badddd. You could drop it in low gear and it would lock up all 4 tires.

BTW, I bought a used on off of the boards here also. I should have it by the end of the week.

·
Registered
535 Posts
dont worry, i dont think the ez has enough fuel to smoke a stock tranny unless its on its way out. I just put mine on and left the map unplugged and its fun but not enough. im goona put a set of either 150 or 100 hp sticks in to match the timing they put in with some more fuel. Then go from there. Im putting a transgo shiftkit in at the same time as the injectors as well. Leaving the map unplugged will give you better throttle response and a little bit more smoke. I will be pluggin it back in when i get the sticks

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thought the EZ only had 3 settings, how did you set it on 5? I don't think 65 horses from the EZ should fry your tranny.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just put the EZ on yesterday and so far have noticed a BIG difference. The hubby set it at 4, but I don't drive very aggressively. However, it did burn both tires pretty good last night. I love the increased bottom end power that my truck got from it. Don't have to put my foot into it! Good luck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
where are the mythological 4th and 5th setting on my edge? i found 1 through 3 but 4 and 5 seem to be the tire firing tunes that we all crave so where do i find them? the ez has 3 settings and they are manual settings, they will barley spin the tires let alone fry a tranny. its a good box for a reliable truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
where are the mythological 4th and 5th setting on my edge? i found 1 through 3 but 4 and 5 seem to be the tire firing tunes that we all crave so where do i find them? the ez has 3 settings and they are manual settings, they will barley spin the tires let alone fry a tranny. its a good box for a reliable truck.
Depends on the year of truck and the model. 1998 to 2000 only has 3 levels. Probably the 1994 too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts