Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wonderin if anyone had tried supercharging their cummins at all?

I work on alot of twin charged detroit diesels here in the army. Let me tell ya, a giant holset feeding a roots style blower on a 736 C.I. V8 diesel, just a beast.

Could be different. You know, the holset feeding a little procharger PS or something like that, some exta piping i guess but not all that bad.

I see where this could seem redundant being that the turbo does the high RPM work and the diesel itself does all it needs to down low therefor not needing a a broad power band blower but hey, who knows.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only detroit I have seen in the military with a supercharger was one that was 2 stroke.

I am a heavy equipment mechanic in the Air Force.
The supercharger is what feeds the engine. Those motors only have exhaust valves. The supercharger feeds the chamber with air and fuel when the piston is below the intake ports. The piston compresses. Bang and down goes the piston. When the piston is below the ports the the exhaust valve opens and the super charger pushes in air and the bad air goes out. The exhaust valve closes and the piston compresses again. But a supercharger isnt 100% effecent. But a turbo is. Its using wasted power of exhaust to spin it. Why not just us do twins?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the detroit in the HEMMTT's. I'm a wheeled vehicle mechanic myself.

Don't think the pics gonna work.

Just an idea. Maybe some backyard wrencher out there has done the combo.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i beleive the super het is blown and turboed

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am a power engineer by trade. I have a 2nd class steam ticket and have worked around alot of different stuff. In a sour gas plant I worked with v-12 cooper-bessmer gas compressors. These monsters lope along at 250 rpm and have twin turbos that are fed by a supercharger- somewhere around 4000 hp at sea level.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4000 HP under a 1,000 RPMs, Wow, pretty good, love to see the torque rating on that.

Ya, the HET, the HEMMTT, and the PLS all use the blown/turbo Detroit.

how do I post a pic on here?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
a supercharger isnt 100% effecent. But a turbo is. Its using wasted power of exhaust to spin it. Why not just us do twins?

A turbo is not 100% efficient, but, it is more efficient than a super charger.

Using a super charger will bring "throttle response" into the vocabulary of the diesel world..

Merrick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry guys but i gotta clairfy this thread. I have worked on Detroits in the marine as well as equipment side of things. What it seems you guys are refering to as a "supercharger" Is actually the two strokes roots type blower. This is the origin of the 6-71 Blower seen in drag racing and such. There are SOME detroits that are also turbo meaning the turbo feeds into the blower but none are actually supercharged. To qualify as a supercharger the forced induction device is almost always belt driven and can range from a modified cold side of a turbo up to the big boy 6 and 8-71 blowers. The problem with adding any of these forms of induction onto our trucks has already been mentioned. By the time you manage all the fabrication and parts locating you could install twins and be making awesome totally useable power.

·
Registered
161 Posts
IT has been done on a 5.9 and it made 300+ horse and 600 TQ at under 1200RPM if I remember correctly, so it would be great for pulling a trailer down low in the RPM's and on the 4bt it was a 900 HP twin turbo/super charged drag truck that was very light and fast, but not Banks fast.

·
Registered
886 Posts
there was a recent thread on this with photos of a duramax supercharged with turbos. I think someone on there was talking about GM sub'n out a research project for a OEM supercharged diesel. If I knew how to link it to this I would. It was a good read.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
even if it doesn't make crazy amounts of power, it would atleast differentiate your cummins from another, that's for sure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
^^ While not crazy power, at least with a super charger you can say your engine is 100 percent volumetric efficient across 99.9% of the RPM band. However, you would need to have a manual, as the auto's pump will not make enough volume or pressure bellow 1200 RPM to sufficiently hold 600+ TQ.

·
Registered
886 Posts
^^ While not crazy power, at least with a super charger you can say your engine is 100 percent volumetric efficient across 99.9% of the RPM band. However, you would need to have a manual, as the auto's pump will not make enough volume or pressure bellow 1200 RPM to sufficiently hold 600+ TQ.
Above all, roots style supercharges sound awesome, add the turbo whistle, and I couldn't imagine a better sound coming from a truck!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
a 2 stroke detoit is not supercharged, ever 2 stroke diesel has a supercharger if that is what you want to call it. You can have a 2 stroke Detroit and have a supercharger BUT NO turbo charger and it is considered Naturally aspirated. the supercharger is known as a blower if i remember right.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Isn't a blower still considered forced induction???? Therefore it cannot be naturally aspirated. Natural aspirated is no forced induction ie: stock 6.2 chev diesel or 6.9 ford

·
Registered
57 Posts
damn!!

Great blower pics--I could probably empty my toyhauler with out opening the ramp w/ that set-up!!

08 6.7 toyhauler - hauler

1 - 20 of 51 Posts