Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running WMO (waste Motor Oil) in their 24v? I know a few guys running it in old IDI Fords and I am going to try it in my old F350. Didn't know how the pumps and injectors in the dodge would like it though. On my ford a pump and injectors is only about $600 so if I had to replace once a year it would stil be worth it. Since the dodge is quite a bit more expensive I am a little bit more sceptical. I am planning on making mine in a 50/50 mix so it won't be thick like wvo and I am going to filter it down to 2 micron so I should be good there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The main thing to worry about is metal particles. (magnet!) They can be quite small. I used the net wisdom TP filter and found it to be a cruel joke. It doesn't work. Plugged the FF in my skid steer rather quickly. Lubricity should be excellent otherwise, unless the larger hydrocarbons cause abrasion, but at 2 microns, I don't know if you'd even plug up the FF. It will stink, and I am SURE it will plug up the cat if you have one. The newer motor oil for the ULSD had to lose the Zinc to prevent blowby from the engine from ruining the cat. TRACE zinc would ruin the cat.

I wouldn't run it in anything valuable after my rather modest experimentation. (No love lost for air cooled skid engine)

·
Registered
242 Posts
You must have a lot of waste oil to justify 600 a year on pump and/or injectors. I personally would NEVER EVER run WMO through my 6 thousand dollar engine, especially with all that expensive emissions equipment.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Im about to try it!! wish me luck. The plan is 2 micron filtered... 50-50 ratio w/ a bottle of power service. I don't have enough money keep dumping $150 bucks in my truck to keep filling it up! although $75 really isn't that much better :(
Im hoping that once i finish up with my heated wvo system also... i will be able to go for at least one oil change (3000-5000 miles) on only 15 gallons of diesel (mixed with 15 gallons WMO)

·
Registered
576 Posts
another thing that ran across my mind... in the case that you were getting WMO from a mechanic or something like that.
What exactly is synthetic motor oil?? Will it burn right?? i would imagine that there won't be that much of it, but probably some mixed in ever once in a while. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Cummins used to say you could run up to 10% WEO in your fuel on the 12V P and VE pumped engines. They do not address the issue on a VP or CP3 pumped 24V engine to my knowledge.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Remember WMO or WEO is already spent lubricant... So the HFRR value is raised....

Take a look 2 cycle oil is better off than WEO/WMO...

At least 2 cycle oil meets the requirements (it clean and it a good lubricant 474 HFRR) But looking at WEO/WMO you putting a dirty wasted lubricant into your fuel system which has a higher HFRR value at 634 HFRR which is a failing grade.. The your mixing PS on top that is going to ruin a fuel system... It will raise the HFRR above the minimum 520 HFRR for sure... I hope you got a few grand to spend on a fuel system...

Not to mention all the ASH content (metals) and carbon content...

Not worth it in my book... You just wasting you time...

·
Registered
576 Posts
that chart shows using 200:1 ratio of oil, we were talking about using a 1:1 ratio.
For the record I drove 200 miles today on a 50/50 mix of filtered WMO w/ 3000lbs in the bed and averaged 24.7 mpg. There was no power loss, and it only smoked more on start up. Once up to operating temp, there was no noticeable smoke (obviously except when getting into it a lot) and seemed to run smoother and quieter than usual. Also, that was also with running about 2 psi of propane into the intake most of the time. If you add using a 1/2 gallon of propane also (which i used WAY less than that) then it brings total down to 23.11MPG
Once i get my heated tank set up, im going to run 100% oil. Using free oil, as opposed to 4.80 a gallon diesel i could go through 2 lift pumps per tank ($80 a piece) and still come out $8 ahead or i could destroy the injection pump (about $1000) every 6 tanks and still come out even. Somehow i doubt this will destroy my engine within 25,000 miles, but thats how many miles it would take to save in fuel costs for a new $6,000 engine

·
Registered
411 Posts
question

can someone explain "HFRR", I'm not real clear on what it means or what the values signify. TIA

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You must have a lot of waste oil to justify 600 a year on pump and/or injectors. I personally would NEVER EVER run WMO through my 6 thousand dollar engine, especially with all that expensive emissions equipment.
what exactly makes you so sure it will ruin everything?

or are you one of those "forum mechanics"?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
there is a 3 page thread on WMO around here somewhere.

I filter WMO thru a 2 micron filter with a big magnet attached to it, and run a mx of 80/20 diesel/WMO. So far in about 600 miles, mileage is up 10%, power is slightly better if anything, and the engine is much quieter.

DK about long term, guess I'll find out..

Ops

·
Registered
837 Posts
I heard about this, black diesel it's called.

I have a hard enough time finding WMO for heating let along fuel...

·
Registered
576 Posts
well i've been running anywhere from 25% oil to 75% oil for the past month, and my truck finally crapped out!!! haha not really. But for the past couple weeks the truck has been losing power, and top end kinda gradually. Today i was driving along and it just kept losing power and cutting out, untill i couldn't even got over 45. I was pretty worried that the LP or the injection pump were angery!
Since i started running WMO i keep a bunch of fuel filters in the truck, just in case. Anyways i pulled over, swapped the filter and away she went. Back to running better than it did on diesel only!! And bumped my max speed up from 45 to well over 100 :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm not surprised that the early engines can run WMO/WEO/UEO aka used engine oil with out to many problems. Its the HPCR that I would think would have the most problems from using 50% or more WEO/WEO/UEO. Being some are doing this with newer engines we will have a chance to find out just how much a person can use safely. If there is away to save $$ from not buying high priced diesel and pay less $$ to the oil companies, speculators, OPEC then who am I to say don't try it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
what does HFRF stand for? Also, has anyone put any in their 3rd gen? worried about the CR. Otherwise, if it'll burn and it doesn't have metal chunks in it, It actually produces more BTUs at 150K/gallon than #2 diesel which sits at 140K BTUs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me know how this keeps going for you. I have looked at expensive processors but am thinking of making my own from one I've seen. I have an endless supply of WMO and I am really wanting to try it. I would just like to know where to get a magnetic filter.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
if i were going to use it i would stick to low pressure mechanical engines

·
Registered
576 Posts
what does HFRF stand for? Also, has anyone put any in their 3rd gen? worried about the CR. Otherwise, if it'll burn and it doesn't have metal chunks in it, It actually produces more BTUs at 150K/gallon than #2 diesel which sits at 140K BTUs.
diesel #2 has about 138k btu
ULSD has only about 135k btu

#6 oil fuel (motor oil, similar) 153,200 btu

and by comparison gas is only about 125k

1 - 20 of 20 Posts