Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone out their is running the DPF-R kit. Ive read a good bit on it and talked to them a couple of times, really not sure which route i want to go, at this point im really not needing the extra HP kinda scared of breaking something and sounds like with the Smary that i really wanted, i would need to invest in a clutch aswell, just wondering if the DPF-R is code free and also if its code free with the EGR unpluged or deleted..Thanks. :confused013:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Just get the smarty and run it on like 30hp setting

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just get the smarty and run it on like 30hp setting
Would you still recomend the deletes, it just seems the more i read the more ill have to do to the truck. But would like for my truck to breath and the extra mpg sure wouldn't hurt either. I would need ME for the deletes correct?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Correct, you would buy the smarty and then download the me program for it. There are plenty of do it your self dpf delet threads on here. Im sure someone will chime in and let you know exactly how to do it. I bought my dpf delet from h&s before guys figured out how to do it themselves.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, you would buy the smarty and then download the me program for it. There are plenty of do it your self dpf delet threads on here. Im sure someone will chime in and let you know exactly how to do it. I bought my dpf delet from h&s before guys figured out how to do it themselves.
Thanks for the info... i think your right about the Smarty, at least once ive got it i can always upgrade from their..I GUESS, ONE STEP AT A TIME..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yea, i figure for what you would spend on the dpf-r system you could prolly buy a smarty and do a home made dpf delete for around the same money. Then you always have the option for in the futur to just turn the smarty up for more power when your ready

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, i figure for what you would spend on the dpf-r system you could prolly buy a smarty and do a home made dpf delete for around the same money. Then you always have the option for in the futur to just turn the smarty up for more power when your ready
Your exactly right about the money thing..Thanks :thumbsup:

R

·
0 Posts
I agree just run the smarty. The dpf-r modules cost 530 bucks, or at least they used to when I bought mine. For another 150 you can have alot of options, and the soft tunes won't hurt a thing. That being said, I still have my dpf-r all tied up in my truck, and ready to go if need be. You might think I'm crazy, and I know the smarty won't give me problems, but I'll tell you why. For me to go to the dealer requires just the removal of the smarty. They don't care about the deletes, so I can load the stock tune, plug 4 plugs in, and still have my dpf and egr on the floor of the garage. Just something I came up with if ever needed. The dpf-r was a good system, and worked fine, just couldn't run anything in the pass thru connector.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree just run the smarty. The dpf-r modules cost 530 bucks, or at least they used to when I bought mine. For another 150 you can have alot of options, and the soft tunes won't hurt a thing. That being said, I still have my dpf-r all tied up in my truck, and ready to go if need be. You might think I'm crazy, and I know the smarty won't give me problems, but I'll tell you why. For me to go to the dealer requires just the removal of the smarty. They don't care about the deletes, so I can load the stock tune, plug 4 plugs in, and still have my dpf and egr on the floor of the garage. Just something I came up with if ever needed. The dpf-r was a good system, and worked fine, just couldn't run anything in the pass thru connector.
Good idea!!!I would like to keep mine as complete as possible too. I see one option for Smary is to just block off the EGR and remove the DPF stuff..i would like to leave the down pipe in for now and with a small tune, that may not be a problem. Wondering if i can just plug or block the EGR crossover tube and leave everything in place, and just unplug the throttle valve as Mads suggested?? :confused013:

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Refresh my memory. Does the DPF-R clear EGR unplugged codes too?
Some had luck with it and some didn't from what i understand.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea!!!I would like to keep mine as complete as possible too. I see one option for Smary is to just block off the EGR and remove the DPF stuff..i would like to leave the down pipe in for now and with a small tune, that may not be a problem. Wondering if i can just plug or block the EGR crossover tube and leave everything in place, and just unplug the throttle valve as Mads suggested?? :confused013:

This is what im trying to say!! :confused013:

Required EGR / Throttle valve / EGR Cooler modifications :
There are two possible ways to delete the components in the engine bay.

Disconnect only the throttle valve connector and block of the EGR. In this case all other connectors and
components can remain in place.

R

·
0 Posts
It will clear if you plug the obd2 module in. Thats a little problem I ran into. When I ran the gen 3, I had to put the butterfly back in. Actually I put a whole new throttle body valve in. So I actually put my dpf-r back in last friday, and my smarty didn't come til saturday. I got it all hooked up, and fired it up, and I realized very quickly that my butterfly was in again, where as it was not in when I ran the dpf-r the first time. So I had to figure out how to run it without clearing the egr codes. I unplugged the obd2 and whalaa, it ran perfect. But for guys running the dpf-r full time, you would need to plug it in every so often to clear the regen timer.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm running my original H&S stage 2 exhaust, I'm using sims, my o2's are in the pipe and plugged in, my intake horn is blocked, the egr motor is plugged in and zipped tied, the throttle body is unplugged, and the cooler servo is unplugged, but the cooler is still there, with a disk blocking the bypass valve. And of course, Smarty.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will clear if you plug the obd2 module in. Thats a little problem I ran into. When I ran the gen 3, I had to put the butterfly back in. Actually I put a whole new throttle body valve in. So I actually put my dpf-r back in last friday, and my smarty didn't come til saturday. I got it all hooked up, and fired it up, and I realized very quickly that my butterfly was in again, where as it was not in when I ran the dpf-r the first time. So I had to figure out how to run it without clearing the egr codes. I unplugged the obd2 and whalaa, it ran perfect. But for guys running the dpf-r full time, you would need to plug it in every so often to clear the regen timer.
Just for kicks i removed my EGR servo motor shaft and reinstalled it and keep it pluged in..no code but didn't run very well, i thought removing the shaft would be the same as unpluging it but with no code..maybe needed to unplug the throttle valve..remember my truck is all stock.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm running my original H&S stage 2 exhaust, I'm using sims, my o2's are in the pipe and plugged in, my intake horn is blocked, the egr motor is plugged in and zipped tied, the throttle body is unplugged, and the cooler servo is unplugged, but the cooler is still there, with a disk blocking the bypass valve. And of course, Smarty.
can you keep the crossover tube inplace and still use the block off disk?? :confused013:

R

·
0 Posts
You would have to put one of them dorman freeze plugs in it as a block. Then yes.
I think.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good Deal..what exactly is the dorman freeze plug??

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RATLIN'HP,

What 4" TBE are you running and is it very loud??

R

·
0 Posts
It's a frost plug that fits in the tube tight. Search this forum, Steve (Polaraco), even has a part number for it. It's like 70 cents. I would imagine you would have to put thin plates between the egr and the horn also with this method, and still take the plunger out of the motor. I'm not 100% sure on all this, but think it would work. And I'm still talking about all this while running smarty. With the throttle body valve unplugged and the cooler servo unplugged.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts