Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody is running a manual hub kit, and if so what one? I would like to get one when the 3yr/36k mile warranty is up on the truck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not to be an:butt: but why would you wanna do that? Getting out and lockn in hubs sux! Especially if you have to dig for them:thud:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have the dynatrac kit sitting on my workbench, probably install it next weekend if things go as planned.

As far why... I don't use 4wd for much other than hunting season and I don't like the drag of all of that crap spinning around and wearing out parts for no real good reason.

I'm also not impressed with the design of the unitized bearing assemblies they put on these trucks and really don't want to deal with a failure down the road.

I don't anticipate much of a fuel mileage increase but hopefully it will save on maintenance costs down the road as I'm planning on keeping my truck for as long as they make fuel to put in it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not to be an:butt: but why would you wanna do that? Getting out and lockn in hubs sux! Especially if you have to dig for them:thud:
I agree, my 04 had a 100,000 miles on it and never had one bit of trouble locking it in. I used the 4 wheel drive almost every other day. Some people like my Dad will not buy a truck with auto hubs, I guess its just a preference thing.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i have the dynatrac only helped about 0.5 mpg but i really love my two wheel low reverse and you will not believe how much better the bearings are than factory and not spinning all that stuff makes me happy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am looking at the dynatrac kit. I like the idea of being able to repack my front bearings on my own. also the front axles and driveshaft wont be spinning. my friend has had both his front ujoints go out already on his 05. they just wear out and start making noise, dealer fixed the first one but he will pay for the second, only has 50k on his truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm also looking at the dynatrack. It will be nice having the choise to lock or unlock them depending on conditions, will be auesome. especailly on road trips.
Having a front axel you can't unlock is kinda 1975 technology! lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just curious if anybody is running a manual hub kit, and if so what one? I would like to get one when the 3yr/36k mile warranty is up on the truck.
i have had many 4 wheel drive vehicles and there's no way on God's green earth i would go back into the 1970's when you had to get out in the rain and mud to lock a hub .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have had many 4 wheel drive vehicles and there's no way on God's green earth i would go back into the 1970's when you had to get out in the rain and mud to lock a hub .
I can't stand not having control of my hubs. I bought a 4wd for a reason, and if I have to get out in a little bit of mud (or anything else for that matter) then so be it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Being able to switch into 4WD quickly has got me outta some pretty sticky situations....:w:I guess some guys dont like gettn out lockn in hubs, and some guys dont like changing U-joints or hubs. Whatever floats your boat I guess:thumbsup

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don’t use the 4wd much, but with the Cummins up front and drw it is easy to lose traction on some fairly flat innocent looking places. You can find many threads on the internet discussing srw vs. drw. The nice thing about Dynatrac hubs is you have a choice, I know that I have 4 wd if I need it and that the axles and the front driveline is not turning unless I want it to. Many years ago we had an early 50’s Jeep. If you went on the highway over 45 mph the front end would start to shimmy and shake. After installing Warn hubs the Jeep did not shimmy and response in high gear was much better. Not being able to disengage the axles and hubs is 1940’s technology.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don’t use the 4wd much, but with the Cummins up front and drw it is easy to lose traction on some fairly flat innocent looking places. You can find many threads on the internet discussing srw vs. drw. The nice thing about Dynatrac hubs is you have a choice, I know that I have 4 wd if I need it and that the axles and the front driveline is not turning unless I want it to. Many years ago we had an early 50’s Jeep. If you went on the highway over 45 mph the front end would start to shimmy and shake. After installing Warn hubs the Jeep did not shimmy and response in high gear was much better. Not being able to disengage the axles and hubs is 1940’s technology.
While i agree that not having control of the hubs would be old school, you do have control. I mean not manual control but you do have control over the hubs and it is as simple as selecting 4wd. There are hubs already and they are automatic. Trust me on this i have delt with this on a Dodge Dakota that i still own. On the dakota they are vacuum operated, i suspect the same on the ram (just using the vacuum pump rather than engine vacuum.) But i could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
when you have locking hubs at least you have a choice, when the pavement ends how long does it take to spin 2 hubs? they also have a superior bearing design and a few wxtra spleens verses the pos factory unit bearings. wait for your unit bearings to go out then ask yourself if you really want to replace them with the same junk from the factory

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They both definitely have their pros and cons. I personally just rather have manual hubs, as that's how I learned on our Jeep. I believe they are a superior design, plus they are upgradeable if you ever have the need to. Not to mention the simple upkeep and repair.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
While i agree that not having control of the hubs would be old school, you do have control. I mean not manual control but you do have control over the hubs and it is as simple as selecting 4wd. There are hubs already and they are automatic. Trust me on this i have delt with this on a Dodge Dakota that i still own. On the dakota they are vacuum operated, i suspect the same on the ram (just using the vacuum pump rather than engine vacuum.) But i could be wrong.

No the hubs are not vacuum controlled. They are locked in ALL the time. The Cental Axle Disconnect (CAD) is vacuum controlled, and that engages a coupler locking the 2 piece axle together, therefore engaging the 4wd. It's a piss poor design, and the vacuum motors go bad regularly. That's why they discontinued it on the big trucks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
with manual hubs the key is to lock them before you go out into the slop. but on my old gmc that i had back in highschool wityh auto hubs i ran over a branch and it knocked off the vacume line big problem that night.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have the Dynatrac kit on my 07' 5.9CTD and I have seen about 1-1.5 mpg improvement. As mentioned you also have the ability to do the maintenance on them much easier, the bearings our much stronger and most likely will last longer, and the overall construction of the kit is better built then the stock crap. I haven't done it on my 07 6.7L yet so I don't know what kind of improvement in mpg you can get. A cheap way of doing it if you know your not going to use or need 4wd is just remove the front driveshaft. Same concept and will save you about 2k.:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Tossed my kit on last weekend, other than a quick run down the highway to make sure everything felt right I haven't driven it enough to get a feel for the fuel mileage.

The amount that they stick out past the stock wheels takes a bit of getting used to on the visual side of things.

Also beware that the instructions that ship with the kits are a little behind the design changes to the kit, mine listed all sorts of stuff that they designed out of the parts that were in the box.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
2wd LO would be nice, especially with the manual tranny.

I'll be curious to see if you get any mpg change. My last inspection said my passenger hub bearing had some play in it, so it'll probably get fixed under warranty unless Dodge comes back and says "can't duplicate".

Not a cheap kit though!! $1800+ on their site!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts