Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shadetree Mechanic
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i unlocked level 6 "hot" on my edge today, pretty impressed with the difference between 5-6, but anyway, it gets hot super fast now (go figure) and im ready for a turbo upgrade, the 3 im considering are silver 64,silver bullet, or the garrett stage 3 GT3788R, i am knowledgable on the II product but not the garrett, so anybody with knowledge, please educate me on this.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been running a Garrett stage 3 on my Dodge for about a year and a half now. I was already a fan of Garrett turbos because of the 7.3 powerstroke I had before I sold it off for the Dodge (they run Garrett on the 6.0 also) what really sold me on making my decision though was that they are pretty rugged and can handle some abuse (if you plan on really running your truck in drag racing and/or sled pulls), the dual ball bearings and its water-cooled. It spools quick and the EGT's stay low. Im running the smarty on 8 with advanced timing and the MP-8 stacked and it runs well with that. When I take it to the pulls it wont get past 800 degrees on the exhaust (but Im still running stock injectors and cp3) so we'll see how it handles that this year. All around pretty satisfied with it, the only thing you have to watch is towing, make sure (if you do choose the Garrett) that you turn your edge down a bit when hauling heavier loads, it'll want to surge on you when the boost builds. Im posting a link with this that has all of their turbo sizes and specs for you to compare. Hope this helps ya out!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/turbo_comparison_sheet.htm

·
Registered
125 Posts
hey guys, i unlocked level 6 "hot" on my edge today, pretty impressed with the difference between 5-6, but anyway, it gets hot super fast now (go figure) and im ready for a turbo upgrade, the 3 im considering are silver 64,silver bullet, or the garrett stage 3 GT3788R, i am knowledgable on the II product but not the garrett, so anybody with knowledge, please educate me on this.:thumbsup:
here is a copy and paste that I made on another thread:

Ok- I have basically a stock truck. The mods in my signature have not been done- I just own the stuff, but have not had the opportunity to put the stuff on. I am working overseas in Qatar, waiting to get home to put them on (along with cp3 I am looking to purchased- I'm going to go with wicked stage 3). My project snowballed from the stock turbo going out on a truck I recently purchased at an auction. Here is the important stuff:

1. My truck is stock except for RKL tune on Diablosport (180 hp tune) and the cold air intake- it also has billet trans with 3 disc converter- not that that makes the turbo work or not...
2. I removed stock turbo and installed Garrett 3788r stage 3
3. Sounds awesome- I have had several powerstrokes and they sound nothing like this- this sounds more like a big truck going down the highway- it is killer- but know that it is loud. If you are not looking for something that is loud in normal every day driving, this is not your piece- but the sound is pure music if that is the stuff you like. I like.
4. Throttle response is awesome- spools faster than stock. I have not vidoed anything, but I'm telling you that sitting still if you wacked the throttle from a stop it would squeal the tires as it was taking off and with the new turbo it aggressively spins the tires if you smash the throttle and the boost guage pops right up quicker than it did before.
5. On MY 4 wheel drive truck, install sucked- the shock tower is in the center of where the boost tube adapter was supposed to go. Oops. What I thought was going to slam dunk was a huge pain and took me and a buddy of mine who is a diesel mechanic almost 6 hours.
6. Basicaly I love the turbo. It spools fast, makes big power (spools faster- and mine still has low setting on Waste Gate) It is only making like 30#- I'm not gonna turn it up until I put on the fueling mods, and is big fun to drive. n I probably could turn it up some now, just wanna step into it slowly.

Hope this helps a little bit

·
Shadetree Mechanic
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome review,thanks a lot. how does this turbo compare to the 64 and 66?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I am looking at this turbo as well. I haven't heard too many negative things on them. Some say they spool a little slow, others don't. But it should cool nicely from just above stock to a lot more hp!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I am looking at this turbo as well. I haven't heard too many negative things on them. Some say they spool a little slow, others don't. But it should cool nicely from just above stock to a lot more hp!
Especially if you put the Stage 2 housing on it. :thumbsup:

Edit: Forgot your truck is cammed...

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Especially if you put the Stage 2 housing on it. :thumbsup:

Edit: Forgot your truck is cammed...
Yep.. I will be keeping the Stage 2 housing in mind if the Stage 3 is too slow... But at the cost of a BB turbo vs a good S300 I don't know why I would get the S300...

The Stage 3 is a 63.4/72.5 with a .99 A/R, so probably comparable to a 62/68/12 on spool is my guess.. If anyone else has a comment on that I am open as I am NOT a turboologist!

Even at 375ish rwhp I don't think i'll have too much trouble lighting that bad boy..

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yep, this is the turbo I plan to use for project "under-the-radar" :blues:

·
Registered
211 Posts
the Garretts do respond well and are durable. there are a few members on here that have them including myself. i have never gotten the chance to use mine but since i have a cam and good fueling i went with the GT4094R bb turbo and put the Stage 3 T3 .89 a/r exhaust housing on it to help with streetability, but my luck my build is to much for this turbo so i would likey to sell it.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, id say i will pull the trigger on a stage 3 garrett since its not what everbody does,and thanks for all your helpful input but what injectors do you think will be good 90's or 120's or other?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have this turbo on my Dmax and love it. Its been a great all around turbo for the last 4 years. Spools very quick. Id buy another one...:thumbsup:

Id say 90 or 120s would work well with it..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have one on my truck that I go from tom at turbo resource. I previously had an HTT 62/71/14 turbo that was good turbo but laggy to a degree. The garrett sems to have cleared that up as the spool is a lot faster while to me the cooling is about the same. It is loud and everyone will say there is a jet engine under the hood but overall very happy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
well, id say i will pull the trigger on a stage 3 garrett since its not what everbody does,and thanks for all your helpful input but what injectors do you think will be good 90's or 120's or other?
I would do a cp3 upgrade with the bigger tips ...Arson III or Bag O Parts... so you wont drain your rail.

·
Registered
125 Posts
how much boost are you guys making with your 3788's. how are you getting there?? are you just screwing the waste gate rod or did you just weld it up??

·
Registered
622 Posts
Remember the GT3788R has dual ball bearings, is water and oil cooled, and doesn't use or need a thrust bearing. These are advantages for most people depending on how they drive and take care of their turbo or not. Not at all like Borg/Schwitzers designed for pickups.

·
Registered
125 Posts
anybody?? are you all messing with the rod on the waste gate?? also curious about something else: seems like a lot of people are not familiar with the garrett, when people ask what this turbo is comperable to, what would be a good answer??

·
Registered
200 Posts
its pretty much one of a kind, as far as its not ETT, and its a water cooled ball bearing unit. They dont flow as much air as a similar sized B/W compressor, but spool well and are durable from what I've heard about them. Some people put the stadge 2 turbine housing on them to increase spool and cure the surging that some experiance. They say that sometimes you need a performance cam to get the garrett to not surge and drive flawlessly, otherwise you might have to drive around a spot in the throttle where it surges. I want one, but with the new GTX compressor thats coming out (just not for the 3788's yet). thats what I remember from when I was going to buy one last year, but I decided to wait till the gtx wheel came out to make it flow 20% more with same or better spool out of thier new billett wheel. The beautiful Borg EFR's are pretty sweet..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts