Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the frequency of power outages here i was thinking of taking one of the trucks and throwing a PTO Generator off the trasnfercase, but i can't seem to find anything about them, can someone give me an idea as to what is out there.

Both trucks are automatics and the 99 is the one i would like to use since it had a PTO idle ability on the Vp, but more importantly the 99 being pre-emissions would handle the weather better, and with a 55 gallon fuel tank i could go a day or more at idle ant not worry about running out of fuel.

Anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm curious... How many kw could you pull out of a gen set built into your truck?

I need enough to run my 52" LCD, ps3, air con, fridge and microwave! Lol

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,374 Posts
aprox 745 Watts to each hp so 235*745 = 175 000 so aprox 175kW but with inefficiencies and losses you could expect a very conservative 125kW so probably enough to power your neighbourhood no problem. Your problem may come with trying to keep engine RPM constant using the generator as the throttle controller.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't know anything about the pto generators, But My dad and his one of his friends built a trailer with a generator on it. They also put a bigger fuel tank on it and an air compressor so we would have electricity and air anywhere on their farm we needed. It's came pretty handy quite a few times.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
the tough part is that you will need a governor to keep the generator turning at the correct RPM. If the VP44 can do this with a variable load, OK.

My next concern is whether the cooling system can handle the heat while stationary. Most automotive cooling systems don't work well unless the vehicle is moving.

Take the rear wheel HP, divide it in half, and that will give you your kW rating for a generator. 15kW will run everything in the average house, except for electric heat.

Ops

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That's true, the generator will need to run at 60hz for it to actually do any good. That's 3600rpm. So itd need a gear Multiplier. 1800rpm thru a 2:1 overdrive unit should yeild 3600rpm for the gen set. Idk if you could do it with just a pto since Od is something like .81. There must be stand alone kits with gear drives for the gens sets to getthe right rpm. It's probably got to be a hydro pump, no?

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,374 Posts
Generators can be built for different RPM. You could probably get one good for 1800 RPM (needs to be muliple of 60 for your frequency of 60hz). To me, it will/would be more work and trouble than just going out and buying a good small generator. You can even get natural gas ones and hook up to your local gas company supply.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yeah, multiples of 60hz... That's right. If you're gonna have a gen set stuck to your truck, there's no reason you can't have a stationary unit bolted down in the bed. Moat of you guys probably have land and a barn or something. I know there are gen/welder sets with big eye bolts that you can use to lift them. No reason you swouldnt have a chain fall in your barn and just removethe set when the storm season is over. If you get a diesel unit, getcha one of them aux fuel tanks too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You could just get a power inverter. If your worried about power from the engine you could get a second alternator. Thats how ambulances work.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could just get a power inverter. If your worried about power from the engine you could get a second alternator. Thats how ambulances work.
where could you mount another alternator on these trucks, i was thinking of finding the largest alternator i could find, and then run an inverter of of it, but at the same time a generator would seem more profesional

·
Registered
72 Posts
ya. at work we have both. some trucks have inverters some have generators. we run power tools all day off the inverter in the 120 degree Arizona heat. We just start the truck every now and again. i dont think there is much room under the hood. i was lookin to put an air compressor in there. i been lookin at a pto to hook up to my NV4500 and hood a compressor and generator up to that

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya. at work we have both. some trucks have inverters some have generators. we run power tools all day off the inverter in the 120 degree Arizona heat. We just start the truck every now and again. i dont think there is much room under the hood. i was lookin to put an air compressor in there. i been lookin at a pto to hook up to my NV4500 and hood a compressor and generator up to that
mounting an air compressor and take is easy under neath the truck, i have it all planned out, later on for when i add an exhaust brake, and air horns.

although an air compressor attached off od the motor, would be cool as hell.

but my major concern now is being able to run electrical stuff off of my truck, mainly during power outages like our house, AC, well water etic,

but now we have been talking about a LP generator to run off of our 500 gallon propane tank.

·
Registered
72 Posts
oh ok i got ya. i was thinkin smaller stuff. ya i would do a bigger generator. do you have natural gas for your house?

·
Registered
114 Posts
aprox 745 Watts to each hp so 235*745 = 175 000 so aprox 175kW but with inefficiencies and losses you could expect a very conservative 125kW so probably enough to power your neighbourhood no problem. Your problem may come with trying to keep engine RPM constant using the generator as the throttle controller.
Assuming the gen head is basically a direct connection to the crankshaft. You won't get that with a PTO driven gen head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts