Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Nittos currently on my truck get to the end of their life,I'm considering going with 2 sets of tires this time.

A set stock sized highway type tread for towing my fifth wheel in the Spring and Summer.

And a bigger set of aggressive treads for Winter and Fall.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I used to on my half ton Chevrolet... it worked out great for me. I got extra mileage when I was towing the trailer but during the winter and duing hunting season I had the extra grip that I needed. I didn't have any problems when I had the room but now I don't have that option.

I say do it if you can.

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
how many miles did you get out of your Nittos ?

Scott

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
That's bass ackwards to what most people do. We always ran the big mudders in the summer, and the little stockers or "pizza cutters" in the winter. Small tires yeild much better traction in the snow and ice. Big ones tend to float and be hard to control in the snow and slush. But this is just my .02

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
We don't get a lot of ice and snow in Alabama but we do get a lot of mud in the winter time. The soft mudders wear out too fast in the summer and I towed the race trailer in the summer so I needed fuel economy then.

I do see your point though... just didn't have to experience it.

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
ive done it. I used to run 36-12.50 16.5's boggers in the winter and 285-75-16's in the summer. worked fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's bass ackwards to what most people do. We always ran the big mudders in the summer, and the little stockers or "pizza cutters" in the winter. Small tires yeild much better traction in the snow and ice. Big ones tend to float and be hard to control in the snow and slush. But this is just my .02
When I say a bigger set,I'm not talking "BIG" like 35s or 37s.

I have 285s now and I like the blend of decent looks without compromising snow traction from getting too wide.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
Well...the thinking that you should run your big tires in the summer and small ones in the winter assumes that you have similar tread patterns on both sets. I have Michilins on my truck for the summer (and the first winter i owned my truck). I have never been stuck more in my life than with those tires in the winter (better than 80% tread left on them). I got the BFG TA KM's on my truck for the winter and haven't been stuck since. So while in your camaro you have really fatty street tread tires on it in the winter yes you will go nowhere. But if you make them a mud terrain tread you can make paths of your own. Needless to say I run two sets of tires now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many miles did you get out of your Nittos ?

Scott
With 17,xxx on the Nittos,I have about 5/32" of tread left.

If we weren't heading into Summer,they'd already be off my truck. I'm not one to run every last mile out of a set of tires.

I'd rather sacrifice the last couple thousand miles out of a set than end up with a totaled truck because I pushed the limits of tread life in the wet/snow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I run 35's ,but have a set of BFG A/T's for summer & Toyo M/T's for winter. Works good for me & saves eating up the M/T's so much.

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
winter/spring. We dont get hardly any snow here. just alot of rain. so the boggers work great in the mud. but i do alot of highway driving in the summer and the hot roads eat the boggers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I run two sets of tires on all my vehicles, the trucks included. All seasons spring summer and fall and dedicated winter tires through the winter. I bit expensive at first, but the price evens out over the life of the tires. I have been doing this for the past fifteen years.
mishkaya

·
Retired Engineer
557 Posts
I run Michelin LTX Summer (April-October), Nokian Hakkapelitta Winter (October-April)
The Michelin are two season where as the Nokian will only last one season due to the softer rubber compound.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I run big tall fatties in the back and skinnies in the front....
Just kidding, that's my camaro.
On the Dodge, I just run a good solid set of tires 10plys that have great crossover life year round and look plenty stylish for me they do well in rain snow, and tow without excess wear... I prefer to do this than swap out dualls every time the weather changes, specially as crazy as the weathers been!!!!

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
gotcha:thumbsup friend of mine has those on his toy and when there is even a trace of ice....haha, that thing is gone. get that thing in the mud though and it will dig a hole to china.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts