Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1997 in sig and wonder what it would be like to put a Quad Cab body from a 1998.5 and up truck on it.

This thought came to mind because my truck needs new paint. I saw this post a while back: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/speedliner-my-entire-truck-pics-t95736.html?t=95736 Lance used Speedliner on his entire truck. I would love to do that to mine. Anyway he bought a second body for his truck that he painted with Speedliner then he swapped bodies when it was completed. It seemed much easier because he was able to work with the bare body off the vehicle which made things much easier and he was able to drive his truck until he swapped bodies.

My thought was this would be the way to do this job. If I did this I may consider putting a QC cab on the truck to gain opening rear doors. I would use the dash from my 97 so I wouldn’t have to try and figure out the 24 valve computer.

Has anyone done this?

Bob

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read my signature. I have an extended cab truck.

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
Don't think your sig matters, it sure seems like the quad is longer than an extended.
Time to break out a tape measure...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service manual gives data on the frame including body mounting locations. If you had one for a 1997 and a 1998.5 - 2002 the drawings woudl tell you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
98's had the quad doors as well, not just the 98.5's.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
the box's are identical..... not sure on the cab's.... i'm sure they'd be pretty damn close

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is they didn't change the frames too much between the extended cab and quad cab. The rest of the body parts are the same and it woudl be cheaper to keep the frame dimensions/configuration the same which would make the cabs interchangeable. This is a theory and not confirmed by fact which is what I wanted to do.

Anyone have a manual for a 97 and a QC truck that they can scan? If you scaned the frame dimension pages we would know.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This may be what you're looking for. And it also may be hard to read.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I saw a drawing of the frame that gave dimensions of the cab mounting point locations. Do you see it?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I thought I saw somethin like that in there, ill look again tonight, @ work now.

In SC huh? I lived there for 3 yrs, in SF now...

·
Registered
460 Posts
dam i used to have both my 96 and an 01 but never thought to look, good idea to gain the quad doors though!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I saw somethin like that in there, ill look again tonight, @ work now.

In SC huh? I lived there for 3 yrs, in SF now...
I have been in Santa Cruz since 2001...hard to believe almost 10 years. I don't want to leave ever. I really like it here.

Where in SC did you live? I am near Dominican.

·
CO President
2,642 Posts
Frame is the same. You could put the 97 dash in but you will have to use the rest of the interior from the newer truck. The best way would be to use all of the wiring for the entire truck from your 97, and just the cab, and interior minus the dash from the newer truck. The only problem will be wiring for power mirrors and windows ect, but that is probably just different plugs but same wires.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
weird thing is, there aren't different pics for CC or SC, just this one. measurements in mm.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frame is the same. You could put the 97 dash in but you will have to use the rest of the interior from the newer truck. The best way would be to use all of the wiring for the entire truck from your 97, and just the cab, and interior minus the dash from the newer truck. The only problem will be wiring for power mirrors and windows ect, but that is probably just different plugs but same wires.
This is what i was thinking. I didn't think the cab geometry would be that different between the models. I could use the 97 dash but the rest of the interior would have to come from the newer truck because of the opening rear doors.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I have been in Santa Cruz since 2001...hard to believe almost 10 years. I don't want to leave ever. I really like it here.

Where in SC did you live? I am near Dominican.
That's crazy. I live across the street from Dominican! We're neighbors!
Funny! :blues:

But not to threadjack, I will say that I'm almost positive that the QuadCab and ClubCab are not only the same length, but also the cabs are directly interchangeable on the same body mounting points.

I'm almost certain because I've talked to people who've swapped QuadCab cabs onto pre-98 2nd gens.

I would almost consider doing it, just to be rid of the damn 98 California smog hassle!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you went up Thurber and turned left on the second street you would be on Sequoia. I am halfway down on the left. You will see my silver 97 parked on the street. Stop by sometime.

What are you driving?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Wow.. that's so cool!
I'll PM ya. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same thought

This is what i was thinking. I didn't think the cab geometry would be that different between the models. I could use the 97 dash but the rest of the interior would have to come from the newer truck because of the opening rear doors.
I told my wife I planned to do this in a year or two.:agree2: I just purchased my 96 and have got it back on road after 7 weeks of mx. I want to keep my original dash and ODO ( I'm proud that she's got 330,100 miles) and I like the mechanical gauges. I want the rear doors, I think some people are confusing your description with the later gen cab. Best way to do it, you will be able to remove and clean entire cab, a/c etc, sound proof and insulate, new carpet, stereo eyc, all the interior mx. When I look through the wiring diagram for the 96, the gassers appear to use same harness, ( thats why there are connectors that are capped and un-used). I bet the later gen models have the same harness, just with some adds:flag:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts