Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone use Mobil 1 Oil Filters? Why I didn't...

Got home to change my oil and went to install a Mobil 1 Filter and noticed the can design on the Inlet holes.

FACTORY

MOBILE 1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmmm...looks like the Mobil 1 filter may constrict flow. Have you considered using the Fleetguard filter? I've had good luck with them and they are what Cummins recommends. I'm pretty sure the Mopar filters are just re-branded Fleetguard, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, when i was researching before making this post I came across Fleetguard as good choice, but i just got another mopar one since I was in the middle of changing my oil. You can see the mobile one has oil in it as I had pre filled it before i realized the difference.

I will go with fleetguard on the next go round.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
That is a huge difference in the flow holes. I think that you made the correct choice of not using it. Maybe it will fit on a gas engine and it won't have to flow as much volume of oil as the diesel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think they are a waste of money anyway... Get a Fleetguard, Wix, or Baldwin and put the money you save in the gas tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did some research on filters for jeeps. Turns out that K&N and mobil one filters are made in the same plant. On the gas side mobil one filters to 15 micron and has a thicker shell while K&N filters to 20 micron.

I've been running the M1 on my 6.7 for a while now. No change in oil pressure but I don't know if it is measured before or after the filter. If after it should drop if the holes are restrictive and if before it may rise but that is variable depending on exact location.

For a gas engine both are worth the extra cash but for a oil burner?? not sure

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 oil and filters for years and no problems whatsoever

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used Mobil 1 oil and filters for years and no problems whatsoever

Yeah I used them on all my gas cars that's why i bought this one, but noticed that little detail when I went to install it, and decided not to.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yeah I used them on all my gas cars that's why i bought this one, but noticed that little detail when I went to install it, and decided not to.
I have had 2 Cummins and run Mobil 1 filters & oil with no problems. I'm sure there engineers have designed them well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts