Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Anyone know the best injectors to use in a factory 99 Cummins?

11885 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  jmd025
I have a 99 ram 2500 with a Cummins and the only things i've upgraded so far is the intake (K&N full kit), exhaust (4"MBRP turbo-back), and hypertech max-power programmer on stage 3. I'm looking at upgrading the injectors but i dont want anything extreme, just enough to give me a little more power without having to upgrade my injection pump and turbo. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,339 Posts
GET A NEW LIFT PUMP FIRST. Read up on it. Once you do that, the brand & size of injectors for you depends on what your needs are, your future upgrades, and how much you want to spend.

Reactions: Trav9846

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awsome, I'll check them out. This may sound stupid but what exactly is the difference between injectors and nozzles? And I know how to replace the injectors but how do you replace "nozzles"? Thanks

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of lift pump? I heard dodge has started replacing the original external pumps with newly designed in-tank pumps, would that be adequate?

· Registered
149 Posts
Get a lift pump. I made that 1800 dollar mistake.

I would also look into getting rid of the K&N. I have just had way too much experience with them letting a lot of dust in turbo's

· Registered
1,172 Posts
:agree2:..... get and afe intake..... a raptor lift pump and you should be good to handle any small to medium size injector with out and turbo up grades

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are K&N kits really bad for the engine? I've heard this before but i'm finding it hard to swallow the fact that i may have waisted $250 lol

· Registered
2,339 Posts
awsome, I'll check them out. This may sound stupid but what exactly is the difference between injectors and nozzles? And I know how to replace the injectors but how do you replace "nozzles"? Thanks
Injectors are the pieces as a whole. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but nozzles are what replaces the end of the injector (bigger holes, I'm assuming?). The nozzle is only part of the injector. You have to get them put on right and pop-tested and such (which I hear isn't cheap!). It's usually easier and quicker to just get injectors instead of having to mess with the nozzles. JMO. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Are K&N kits really bad for the engine? I've heard this before but i'm finding it hard to swallow the fact that i may have waisted $250 lol
yeah the k&n's have been tested on our trucks and actually do let ALOT of dirt into our engines i know it sucks cause i spent the 250 on a k&n set up my self when i first bought my truck....but go look at an afe much much much better in quality

· Registered
193 Posts
Find it hard to believe from a product liabilty issue k&n would make a defective filter if you installed it correctly and oiled it:stirpot:

· Oregon Chapter President
3,663 Posts
FASS 150/95, or AirDog before you do anything. It'll give you peace of mind knowing your VP44 has plenty and enough fuel to keep it nice and happy.

And from my personal experience, the Edge Jammer injectors run really really hot. RV275's is a decent start, but if you ever want to get more out of your rig down the road you'll be stuck spending more on injectors again. JMO. Maybe look at some 100's or 150's. I know that sounds like a lot more than what you were looking for, but IMO it'll just save you the money down the road. That's where I'm at... waiting on a new turbo and bigger sticks.

Once you start modding out your rig, you'll just keep going. Lol. It's an addiction!

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
I agree with getting a lift pump first, I didn't realize that you haven't purchased an aftermarket lift pump. Nozzles are also very easy to replace, it takes no more than 5 or 10 minutes to replace all six nozzles once the injectors are out. Pop testing wouldn't hurt but with all the Fratelli Bosio injector nozzles that I've installed on a VW diesel(VP37 with almost identical injectors in the 24v) the computer has shown that they were all flowing.

As for the K&N I had one that came with the '97 and it made it almost a full 240,00 miles on it.

· Registered
69 Posts
Don't get rid of your K&N setup, just ditch the oiled filter and replace it with an amsoil dry filter. Measure the glange size of your filter and give an amsoil rep a call. They will most likely have a filter to fit in there for ya. :thumbsup:

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Don't get rid of your K&N setup, just ditch the oiled filter and replace it with an amsoil dry filter. Measure the glange size of your filter and give an amsoil rep a call. They will most likely have a filter to fit in there for ya. :thumbsup:
Agreed, the newer Amsoil dry filter and a paper filter are the only filters that I trust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.