Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Anyone have steering box shaft play?

3348 27
So the ole mega bus has been feeling like its wandering a little more now adays, and Ive noticed it more now that I put my lift on a few months ago.. I put the lift on, had it aligned then took it to get the frame stretched and now a couple months later my steering wheel is turned left when im going straight and now the dang things too long to fit on the alignment rack SO upon my own investigation with my 4 yr old neice at the wheel steering it left and right for me I noticed that where the box on the driver side frame is, the splined shaft coming out of it seems to have some left-right play when the wheel is being turned back and forth.. anybody had any trouble with this steering box and having some shaft play? I dont want to waste the money on another alignment somewhere my truck will fit becuase I know it has a problem with wandering now, it takes a little more steering wheel turn and is slow to react.. how hard is it to rip this bad boy out?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Dumbass
7,169 Posts
dont know if this is will work on the piece your talking about, but to me atleast it sounds like you need a steering box brace... but maybe your tlaking bout something else...

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,714 Posts
I have some shaft play too, but can't put the steering brace on because my plow mounts in the way. I've though about adapting the plow mount to work as a brace too (pretty simple concept) but I haven't yet.

· Dumbass
7,169 Posts
oh i never thought of a plow mount getting in the way... but thats cuz in california its always nice out! lol.

· Registered
592 Posts
I don't think the brace will help me. What is happening is this... I had my friend move the steering wheel back and forth approx. 1.5"-2" while i watched the steeering box steering wheel was movin steering box not a dam thing. This is with the front tires off the ground... How much steering wheel play do you guys have until the box moves?

· Registered
64 Posts

· Banned
332 Posts
Yep, dealer put the new 08 steering linkage on first with no help and then replaced steering box and that helped a little but these trucks wonder something fierce.

I was thinking I should add the rear stabilizer bar and some good shocks and call it a day.

But to answer your question it took a new gearbox to keep it off the lines on the road.
You said it's too long for the alignment rack... it will need a new alignment when replace, you could get the alignment specs and take it to a big rig shop for the rest of the procedure.

By your sig, you seem to have deep pockets...LOL you could add a hydraulic steering and call it good. but on a serious note, if mine goes bad again, I will not just buy another junk Dodge unit, I will have a pro rebuild mine... I heard they are like transmissions, when it goes south take it to someone that specializes in the proper rebuild of these things.

· On a new learning curve!
1,047 Posts
You have the same problem a lot of us have. The steering box needs stablized on the bottom below the pitman arm due to all the weight of the engine pushing on the front end. I got a brace from Solid Steel, DSS (Darrin's Steering Stabilizer) and put it on my 97. I had put two boxes on it previously and they would not last. Now it is fine. The DSS will even support a worn box and make it drive tons better, but I put on a new box and the DSS at the same time so no more problems.

· Registered
2 Posts
Dont know if this will help, but you do know about the H-46 Steering box Recall from Chrysler dont ya? I dont know if this will solve the problem but if you take it to a dodge dealer for the recall they might fix that for you for free.

· Registered
592 Posts
"Dont know if this will help, but you do know about the H-46 Steering box Recall from Chrysler dont ya? I dont know if this will solve the problem but if you take it to a dodge dealer for the recall they might fix that for you for free".

H-46 what's that? I'm new to the Dodge world i just bought this thing a few weeks ago. It's an 06 with 67K miles what's the chances of it getting warrantied? I'm the second owner does that make a difference?

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,714 Posts
The steering box is not replaced under that recall, mostly just the linkages and possibly pitman arm. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
12,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info guys, came to the conclusion that the box is junk and Ill be swapping it out as soon as I get one ordered.. crazy how much play there is with the steering wheel, its kinda scary! I was cruizin down the highway yesterday though the canyon and thinking to myself jeez.. it would suck if the box failed all together, hopefully I can get it shut down quick enough!

· Premium Member
12,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, dealer put the new 08 steering linkage on first with no help and then replaced steering box and that helped a little but these trucks wonder something fierce.

I was thinking I should add the rear stabilizer bar and some good shocks and call it a day.

But to answer your question it took a new gearbox to keep it off the lines on the road.
You said it's too long for the alignment rack... it will need a new alignment when replace, you could get the alignment specs and take it to a big rig shop for the rest of the procedure.

By your sig, you seem to have deep pockets...LOL you could add a hydraulic steering and call it good. but on a serious note, if mine goes bad again, I will not just buy another junk Dodge unit, I will have a pro rebuild mine... I heard they are like transmissions, when it goes south take it to someone that specializes in the proper rebuild of these things.
Deep pockets haha.. sometimes.

I was wondering about it becuase I dont just want to put another stock box on and Have it fail again, I just clicked 74k on the truck but I bought it used bone stock a year ago and have only had it lifted for 6 months, stretched for even less and have run 35s for 10 months now and it use to handle great but the steering has become so sloppy is crazy.. Just wondering who builds a better box or If i were to put a stock one back on and brace it up how long it would work out???

As far as the alignment goes.. it fits on the rack but the sensors dont go back far enough so Im up in the air on that one, hopefully someone has a bigger rack out there for me :lol4:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.