Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in California and own a stock 2010 with the 6.7, auto. I would love to have a programmer in the truck to help wake it up a bit. It seems a bit sluggish. I don't plan on hot rodding it, but more or less would like more power and better mileage. I'm just not so excited about a DPF/EGR delete and then putting it all back when it comes time to smog. Yep CA sucks for that kinda thing. Any imput other than telling me to delete would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
By running a tuner with everything intact, you probably won't gain any mileage. And it could create more problems with the emissions system because of the increased fuel.

Jason

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Smarty is a clean enough tune you won't have any problems. If I bought a new truck today I'd consider doing the same.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Well here is how it worked for me. I bought an XRT PRO, and due to time constraints with my job, I was home for a week and gone again. During that week home I put the mild tune on my truck with "DPF PRESENT" and made a 600+ mile round trip across the state and back, 95% freeway and the truck was flat awesome with a bone stock truck. I averaged about 1 MPG better than stock on that trip and only did 3 regens according to my CTS. I was very happy. Went to work, and came home again last week and left the tune the same. During mostly suburban running around I got HORRIBLE MPGs and the thing was in regen A LOT. I filled up and when I was down to 1/4 tank I had only gone 280 miles. Yeah that bad. Well today I did my DPF delete and I am happy to say the truck is running awesome and Im sure the MPGs will come back with it not being in regen all the time. People will say its because the HS tunes smoke more, but with the latest tunes im running the 120 hp and really doesnt smoke at all. I have to lug it BAD to get even a puff and then it cleans right up with a little more RPM. So if you are rural or have a long freeway commute then I would say you would be ok. Running around town...not a good idea. This has been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the BlackMaxx on mine right now, and have had it on for a couple months and around 2500 miles. I just got all my delete stuff this week, and its going on the hoist tonight to lose some parts. I had absolutely no problems with it, but I live in MT and there wasn't a lot of city driving. It did increase mileage by about 2+ miles/gallon. I did not see any active regens, but I'm sure there were some passive ones. The Smarty runs less smokey tunes, so if you were going to keep it stock, that'd be the tuner to run IMO.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
By running a tuner with everything intact, you probably won't gain any mileage. And it could create more problems with the emissions system because of the increased fuel.

Jason
If you want a trouble free truck, I wouldn't do it.....
:agree2: Not a good idea to add more soot to DPF, will only lead to more regen time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all the valuable input. Your experience and comments were exactly what I was looking for. Now I just have to decide if it stays stock, smarty, or just bite the bullet and delete and return to stock every two years for smogging. Kinda leaning towards leaving it stock since it does all and everything I need. Plus then I don't have to fear something not being covered under warrany. Easy for a dealer just to say it was due to a tuner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
well if it helps i got a smarty on a stocker for now and its great has a little bit more jump to it and in town milage is about the same as stock but hwy it is a touch better. i really like the smarty easy to use good all around tuner

Reactions: Randall5p22
1 - 14 of 14 Posts