Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the old dodge's exhaust finally rusted away. It is a 1997 with 237K miles. So I replaced it with a complete turbo back exhaust from MBRP. Not thinking, I gave the old system away to a family who could use it for scrap, along with an old car shell. Went in yesterday to get my annual emissions here in CO, and found out I needed the cat, which I no longer have!:doh: It is likely part of a refrigerator by now!

Anyone have one they pulled off and don't need? I am located in Colorado Springs.

Now the good news. They did run it on the dyno to check it (still cost me $50). HP went from 180 to 210 at the rear wheels. I bought this truck new, and it has always been around 180 hp, so the new exhaust is great and my old cat must have had issues.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ty

97 Dodge 2500 TD
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
A Cat on a 97 Diesel!!!! HaHa! You as bad as the emission tester. The tester just assumed exhaust system orginally had a converter. Get him to find the correct engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The truck had a resonator and a muffler, no cat. Tell that emissions guy he is wrong.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think i have from the resonater to the muffler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i have from the resonater to the muffler
I talked to the shop. The owner said that their guys don't normally make mistakes. He said there is a plate on the driver's side engine compartment that shows the hp and Cat ID. I don't see it. He said to bring it down to verify, but was not aware that a 1997 does not require a Cat.

Thx for the replies gents..

Ty

·
Registered
144 Posts
No Cat on my 99.5 either. I assume I will have the same problems with the emissions pricks here in CA when they start those inspections next year....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Input from MBRP, Dodge, AllPar..

No Cat on my 99.5 either. I assume I will have the same problems with the emissions pricks here in CA when they start those inspections next year....
Well, in reading Allpar.com, it says that the cat was put on the 1994 diesel

QUOTE: Because of changes in emissions rules, demanding 60% fewer particulates per brake horsepower-hour, the Cummins turbodiesel needed numerous changes for 1994, including a new fuel injection system and the first use of a catalytic converter on a Ram diesel. Unlike the catalytic converter used for controlling emissions from gasoline engines, this removed smoke particulates, cutting them by about 30%.

And then it goes on to say the following following introduction of the 24 valve.

QUOTE: The engine met every 1998 California Air Resource Board (CARB) emissions standard without a catalyst or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).
was removed on the 24 valve beginning in 1998.5.

I mistakenly posted this request to the 98.5 forum group, but folks seem adimate that a cat is not needed.

Perhaps it was just in CA that the cat was required?

I called the Dodge dealership and they said a cat is available (with the downpipe) I didn't even inquire on the price as I know it would be A LOT! MBRP does not think a cat is required, nor do they sale one with their turbo back kit. They don't even sale a cat back kit.

And I don't see a plate in the engine compartment as described by the shop that has a cat requirement stamped on it. I couldn't get back down to the shop today, so it will be next week before the shop can show me the magic plate that tells them I need a cat. They may have just assumed that it needed a cat, but they do all the emissions for diesels in Colorado Springs, and should know what they are doing (one would think).

Ty

·
Registered
144 Posts
Makes sense, CA has some stupid rules, I can go look under the hood for a code or stamp or something if it helps you?

I was just discussing with a buddy of mine about a 95 2500 he is thinking of buying, the said the previous owner had straight piped it and removed the cat, so what you found makes since, though can't see emissions wise it saving any trees putting cats on 12v's?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Can't you buy aftermarket cats for a decent price....?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
the cat is located after the turbo just a couple feet down. its very small easy to miss.
attached is an excerpt from 2001 service manual

·
Registered
203 Posts
The diagram is for a gas v8, not a straight six. You can see the exhaust coming off of both sides of the engine. The 2001 service manual covers both gas engines and the cummins. Go foward or backward a few pages and you'll find the diagram for our trucks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
2nd Gen Diesel Rams DO NOT HAVE CATS, doesn't matter where you live. They have a muffler and a resonator, as previously stated. Good grief, you would think if you work at an emissions station you would know what your doing. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The diagram is for a gas v8, not a straight six. You can see the exhaust coming off of both sides of the engine. The 2001 service manual covers both gas engines and the cummins. Go foward or backward a few pages and you'll find the diagram for our trucks.
woops...:doh:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I took my Diesel to two places to get the safety inspection done and at BOTH shops I was warned that next year I won't pass Safety without a cat. How could they fail a truck that never originally had a cat? Seems to me it would be illegal for them to do so...then of course they can point to the aftermarket exhaust system and say that it has been modified. I hope something gets figured out

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I took my Diesel to two places to get the safety inspection done and at BOTH shops I was warned that next year I won't pass Safety without a cat. How could they fail a truck that never originally had a cat? Seems to me it would be illegal for them to do so...then of course they can point to the aftermarket exhaust system and say that it has been modified. I hope something gets figured out
inspection shops are notoriously known for not knowing what they are talking about. as far as aftermarket, as long as it meets or exceeds the OEM specs they cant say anything. since there is no cat on the diesels it was apparently introduced in later years, I just dont remember when but that would still exempt you from that requirement.

·
Registered
523 Posts
just looked in my ECS manual and it does have 1 cat

·
Registered
273 Posts
I <3 Texas

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I <3 Texas
I <3 Oregon for the same reason, maybe thats why many Oregonians are from Texas, :hehe:

all kidding aside all i can find in any diagram and even in searching the entire forum for "catalytic" results in the following:
turbo-------resonator--------muffler------

there is no catalytic on these trucks if anything the resonator has been misidentified by many to be a catalytic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We Will See

Dracozny; there is no catalytic on these trucks if anything the resonator has been misidentified by many to be a catalytic.[/QUOTE said:
This is pretty scary as the company in Colorado Springs pretty much does all the diesels in El Paso County, CO. The son took over the shop and is relying on his techs, one of which I have never seen before. I will go down Monday am and see if they will issue me an emissions certificate.

I did send a note to another shop (there are only so many that do diesels for opacity and you have to have a dyno). They also work on diesels, and there response was that this truck has a resonator, and not a cat.

Will let folks know what I find out...

Thx for all the help..

Ty

·
Registered
14 Posts
I go to Progressive Diesel in Denver for my annual emission test. My truck does not have a Catalytic Converter. Dodge does not sell a Catalytic Converter for a 97 Dodge Cummins Truck. There is an "after-market" cat available by Magna-flow, it is based on a four inch exhaust system. I don't think any Ram's were shipped with 4 inch exhaust from the factory.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts