Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck had an older BD exhaust brake on it when I bought it. It also had a lot of other aftermarket accessories, most of which were obsolete and poorly installed. So when I initially got the truck, I removed everything that was not factory installed. I saved all of the BD Brake components though. Now that I have the truck pretty well sorted I'd like to reinstall it. The vacuum lines probably need replaced and it will need new wiring but I have all of the components. Anyone here have one, like it, use it? Are parts available? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,615 Posts
Have you contacted BD to see if parts are available for it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you contacted BD to see if parts are available for it?
I haven't, I was hoping to get some real world input on it before I start spending anything on making it work. I see that the spool valves are still available but they are not cheap. I don't think there would be any issue using some 3/8 rubber hose for vacuum lines. My truck seemed to have some extra pieces installed on it that I don't see in the installation instructions (which are available off of BD's website).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's all the components I have. The brake itself is still on the truck. I believe the little black box is a torque converter lockup controller.
Hood Light Motor vehicle Blue Automotive lighting

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here's all the components I have. The brake itself is still on the truck. I believe the little black box is a torque converter lockup controller.
View attachment 958001
View attachment 958001
I have the same brake on my truck and it works well with a manual transmission, not so much with a automatic. I also had the transmission lockup box but i could never get it to work properly when i still had my automatic transmission. I had to replace the vaccum solenoid once but so far its been a good product.

Reactions: Jmarc77

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I disassembled and got one of the spool valves unstuck and cleaned and managed to get it installed. Cost me about $40 in wire, hose vacuum hose and spade and bullet connectors. I replaced my dash but this replacement already had a hole drilled in it so the switch filled it perfectly. It does work but as @9412valvecummins said, the effect is minimal with an automatic transmission. If I have some time this week I'll see if I can get the lockup controller working.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas Cable
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Speedometer

·
2,615 Posts
You get a lot more out of the exhaust brake with heavier valve springs in the engine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you lock the automatic transmission in first gear the exhaust brake will bring the truck to a crawl on a 16 percent grade. Thats what my truck did when it used to be a automatic. As said above 60 pound or higher valve springs are highly reccomened or you risk floating the valves with the exhaust brake.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I had a Banks EB in my 00 47re. It worked well, but it was always kinda funny with the lockup, real harsh lockups, sometimes didn’t lockup so the EB did nothing but run my trans temp up fast. I ended up only using it while on the highway, OD on, above 50mph, flipping it on when I was anticipating a grade or slowing for an off ramp. Even the it was iffy. I had to make sure not to go on and off the throttle too fast or it freaked out the converter. The controller is basically adding the function to the trans that’s wasn’t made for it. Unlike the newer 68rfe.

bit it did work, and well when everything was right for it to be used. IIRC, I did end up unhooking it at before I sold the truck.

My kit looked pretty much exactly like what you have there btw.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a Banks EB in my 00 47re. It worked well, but it was always kinda funny with the lockup, real harsh lockups, sometimes didn’t lockup so the EB did nothing but run my trans temp up fast. I ended up only using it while on the highway, OD on, above 50mph, flipping it on when I was anticipating a grade or slowing for an off ramp. Even the it was iffy. I had to make sure not to go on and off the throttle too fast or it freaked out the converter. The controller is basically adding the function to the trans that’s wasn’t made for it. Unlike the newer 68rfe.

bit it did work, and well when everything was right for it to be used. IIRC, I did end up unhooking it at before I sold the truck.

My kit looked pretty much exactly like what you have there btw.
Did you have a torqloc or lockup controller with it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Called BD Diesel earlier in the week and ordered a replacement switch and wiring harness. It came today and I got it installed. It works well, as advertised anyways. I really don't tow heavy but I'd rather have it installed and working than sitting in a box collecting dust. I don't like that it automatically turns the overdrive off when you are driving but it isn't that big of a deal. I think I'm gonna swap out the valve springs just to be sure they are the correct 60 lb springs. I'm fairly certain they are but they are cheap and easy to swap. I also want to install a trans temp gauge. I have a boost gauge and an EGT gauge but I want to keep an eye on the trans temps for sure if I'm using this thing.
Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Gas Cable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts