Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to have my doors replaced because of rust issues and the bottm of them currently line-xed as are the rest of the rocker panels. Since the new doors will be clean I am wanting to have the line-x removed from the truck and just have the panels painted to match the rest of the truck. The body man that is going to do the work hasn't ever removed line-x and since I haven't either I was wondering how labor intensive it is. In other words how much is it going to hurt the pocket book? Also I am not sure which brand the material actually is since this was done before I bought my truck two years ago. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
denatured alcohol....a lot of it. and keep in mind that a properly applied liner is gonna require the scratching/ scuffing of the paint in order for it to properly bond

·
Registered
79 Posts
heat gun works also...should be scuffed underneath though

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it will be ruffed up. I am planning on having him repaint it anyway. Just wondered if I should attempt to remove it myself and save some $ or just let him go at it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My line-X liner peeled up in my bed due to poor prep work. I took my pressure washer and sprayed under it to lift the majority of it out. The only parts that were difficult er the ones that were preped correctly. The Line-X guys used a modified chisel to remove the rest. They worked on it for hours.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If your ok with the way it looks I would just have the new doors line-x. Probably save you some dough!! It's an idea anyway.:confused013:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I would rather have it off of there. There are some concerns about being able to match the texture and color. It is pretty rough and hard to keep clean and it is blue colored. I peeled off a little spot today to see if it was roughed up underneath and it wasn't. It was just a small spot though. I think I might try to get it removed by myself before I take it in to him. I'll just use a heat gun and it looks like it might just peel right off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts