Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i shift its like someone cycles the key real fast. Happens more when cold, and i first thought that it was because the ex-brake was on. But it even does it with the brake off and sometimes even just maintaining a constant rpm. If i had to guess the throttle position i would say around 5 to 10%. Ive had it at the dealer for it and they couldnt get it to duplicate the issue. They did a ECM reflash but to no avail.

Please tell me im not the only one with this issue??

· Registered
126 Posts
I know what you mean. It seems like when you are either coasting or barely on the throttle and then roll-on, it will act like there's a miss or a stutter. I guess in comparison to a gasser, it feels like a cold, carbureted engine to which you have applied too much throttle. I have experienced this both with and without the exhaust brake, and at all different engine temperatures. My first thought would be that Chrysler is trying to limit the amount of fuel that is added on throttle application. This would quickly clog the wonderful DPF that we are blessed with. So, maybe the programming is set a bit too "lean" on the fuel curve at that point, thus causing a stumble. I know it is very annoying.... especially with a manual trans. :help1:

· Registered
587 Posts
If you're feeling what I think you're talking about it's egr related. I think its the delay in the butterfly valve in the intake horn. It closes at 0% throttle, then as you get back on the fuel it takes a moment for the electronics to react. If you just unplug the egr valve that stumble will disappear. Much nicer and smoother driving. And most likely your MPG will increase.

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing when I still had the egr. I cleaned the butterfly valve and that fixed the problem. They get sooted up and start to stick closed just a little.When you take the intake apart to clean tthe butterfly and see how bad the soot really is you will want to delete.

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See i thought it was something to do with the egr or electronic throttle too. Guess its back to the dealer for a de sooting. I need to keep my warranty for atleast a month. I just bought that truck and my wife would kill me if i voided it (even though i try everyday)....

Im just glad its not just me having this problem!!!

· Registered
135 Posts
Now I have hope! I'm planning on an EGR delete as soon as my kit arrives next week! I've had this problem too (1400 to 1600 rpm range typically is when it happens for me with moderate acceleration, steady, or with EB). I'll let yall know if that clears it up for me.

· Registered
126 Posts
Powder keg: What will a star scan de-soot accomplish and what components in the system are cleaned. Thanks
I would also like to know this, they did mine yesterday and said that it is a 6-8 hour process.

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Powder keg: What will a star scan de-soot accomplish and what components in the system are cleaned. Thanks
The full dealer treatment is to use the starscan to perform a forced regen followed by a complete egr system cleaning. in the egr they clean the egr cooler,egr cooler valve ,egr crossover tube, egr valve, intake horn,and butterfly valve.

· Registered
71 Posts
Mine did the same thing right from the time I brought it home. Deletes completely changed the way it drives. The throttle will finally feel like every vehicle you've driven before once you get rid of that crap.

· Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem with my 07.5. Had the dealer clean evrything, and it ran fine all the way home to take all that crap off. It still runs perfect.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
these guys hit the nail on the head...... It is directly related to the function of the EGR valve mine did it for the 6 miles that I had the egr plugged in. If your interested just unplug the egr and notice the difference you can plug it back in and after 4 or 5 starts the CEL will clear itself. Made a huge difference in the feeling between shifts on mine

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would also like to know this, they did mine yesterday and said that it is a 6-8 hour process.
A Star Scan doesnt but let you monitor or re program the ecm. I just need one to enable my high idle and fog lights on high beam. The de soot is them cleaning the EGR system and turbo. Hope that makes more sense?

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its too bad that deleting the EGR stuff voids your warranty... I think that is crap... Us people in states with no emission laws should be able to get rid of it. Im just scared to do it cause the minute i do something bad is going to happen to the motor knowing my luck, cause its such a new platform im not sure if its as tried and true as the 5.9.

On another subject is there a trouble free delete kit out there and that does not make you look at a CEL everytime you drive

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
SMARTY, XRT AND BLACKMAX all code free delete tuners with great reputations and great customer service. oh yeah plus they will give you a little extra HP if you want it anywhere form stock to 200+ HP

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet thanks ill look them up. I was hearing that people were having issues with the information center chiming and yelling about the egr or something using the smarty on the 07.5 and up. I didnt understand the lingo so i could have it wrong though...

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Sweet thanks ill look them up. I was hearing that people were having issues with the information center chiming and yelling about the egr or something using the smarty on the 07.5 and up. I didnt understand the lingo so i could have it wrong though...
I just swaped to the smarty JR ME and havent got one single code. I like it a lot and as far as having problems every problem i'v ever heard of on the 6.7 was either emmissions related or sombody was asking to much out if there equipment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.