Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm hoping to do one very soon. Dyno'd without an EWG.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I want Glacier Diesel, Black Ops Diesel or BM Engineering.
For any of you guys that do a dyno with the WG installed....

Do two runs back to back one with EWG active and the other with the EWG de-activated. (simply buy pulling the signal line off the EWG)

IMO back to back tests are the best tests and most accurate!!

Keep in mind that dyno boost numbers are typically lower than street boost numbers so your results may vary!

Good luck, and look forward to your results!

· Banned
57 Posts
For any of you guys that do a dyno with the WG installed....

Do two runs back to back one with EWG active and the other with the EWG de-activated. (simply buy pulling the signal line off the EWG)

IMO back to back tests are the best tests and most accurate!!

Keep in mind that dyno boost numbers are typically lower than street boost numbers so your results may vary!

Good luck, and look forward to your results!
Yeah why dont you put one on your truck and be the guinea pig?

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Yeah why dont you put one on your truck and be the guinea pig?
I would but unfortunatelly for myself and my truck.....we work 8 days a week sunup/sundown/sunup sometimes..... everyday is monday!! I would if I could fit it in.....but I also have a locked ECM so....another hurdle....

There are already guys going to dyno with one installed, why dont we just let them unplug theirs while on the dyno for a back to back run!!

Simple enough :confused013:

· Premium Member
7,009 Posts
I would but unfortunatelly for myself and my truck.....we work 8 days a week sunup/sundown/sunup sometimes..... everyday is monday!! I would if I could fit it in.....but I also have a locked ECM so....another hurdle....

There are already guys going to dyno with one installed, why dont we just let them unplug theirs while on the dyno for a back to back run!!

UNPLUG:confused013:AS far as i know,i dont think anyone on here is running a spring big enough to hold down 60+psi of drive pressure.But i do get your point,and it can be done by regulating more boost pressure to the top of the gate in order to not let it dump.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
UNPLUG:confused013:AS far as i know,i dont think anyone on here is running a spring big enough to hold down 60+psi of drive pressure.But i do get your point,and it can be done by regulating more boost pressure to the top of the gate in order to not let it dump.
Shoot I suppose if one still has his blocking plate for that port than it would only take a quick minute to install that....

· Registered
678 Posts
Good one!!

I made mine also, about 120 bucks it cost total.
Any possibility you posting a picture of your homemade wastegate you certainly have my attention , I have a Lathe and CNC mill to help me out

Thank you

· Premium Member
601 Posts
[RANT]Good luck when your guys' $120 gates fall apart, dropping the valve into your manifold pre-turbo and frying your turbo as well as any other number of components.

Spend the money on companies that have spent the money developing good products, not overseas China knockoffs. [/RANT]

· Registered
1,037 Posts
[RANT]Good luck when your guys' $120 gates fall apart, dropping the valve into your manifold pre-turbo and frying your turbo as well as any other number of components.

Spend the money on companies that have spent the money developing good products, not overseas China knockoffs. [/RANT]
I didn't see where anyone said they bought china knock off stuff...did I miss something?

As far as someone making thier own, the guys that have the skills can make'm just as good or better than any massed produced units. It's just people making those too.

If you think all products are better just because they come from a company, your delusional. All companies look at manufacturing cost and keep cost down as much as possible. Some will try to balance quality to cost... but when your making something for yourself, you make it with quality as top top priority. Because your not paying for salaries, insurance, facilities...etc. Most things can be made much cheaper & BETTER at home.

When possible, I'll spend my money on my family, not making rich guys richer.

Reactions: Dodgeram082500

· Premium Member
601 Posts
I read in another thread about somebody using ebay wastegates for under $100(new, not used). These are knockoff wastegates.

It's not possible to build a wastegate kit while using a reputable wastegate for $120. Every quality wastegate(new) will cost well over $200 for just the wastegate itself, I know, I've sold thousands over the years. Something as complicated as a wastegate is not something the average DIY'er can make in their garage(unless they have at least a Bridgeport in their garage :) ).

I applaud DIY'ers, I technically am one myself, though I have turned it into a living(though I'm far from rich!). However, having been doing this since 2003, I have seen tons of inferior products and only a few good ones. I choose to use good products as my reputation is dependant on these products. 25% of my business is generated by replacing poorly designed products/service with good quality parts/service.

Back to the thread topic! :)

· Banned
57 Posts
I read in another thread about somebody using ebay wastegates for under $100(new, not used). These are knockoff wastegates.

It's not possible to build a wastegate kit while using a reputable wastegate for $120. Every quality wastegate(new) will cost well over $200 for just the wastegate itself, I know, I've sold thousands over the years. Something as complicated as a wastegate is not something the average DIY'er can make in their garage(unless they have at least a Bridgeport in their garage :) ).

I applaud DIY'ers, I technically am one myself, though I have turned it into a living(though I'm far from rich!). However, having been doing this since 2003, I have seen tons of inferior products and only a few good ones. I choose to use good products as my reputation is dependant on these products. 25% of my business is generated by replacing poorly designed products/service with good quality parts/service.

Back to the thread topic! :)
Ill take some pics.

Fyi- tial has pictures of my waste gate from china on their website, TIAL says they cant even tell the diff,lol. I suppose your smarter than tial??

As for the valve dropping down into my turbo, that would be dificult as it wont fit thru the bolt on flange unless it disinigrates and one would think if that happened being as its on the drive side it would BLOW out.

But its your rant, tell it how you want.

I ordered steel tubing from burns, welded on a flange and its that simple.

I dont have a digital camera, Ill see if I can come up with one to borrow and post pics.

· Banned
57 Posts

Simple enough? Obviously you dont get it.

No gate equals blown head gasket.. Ive wasted two, why would I risk another on a dyno for you?

· Registered
3,180 Posts
I have ran with my gates hooked and unhooked.... YES when the gates hooked so as you guyd non gated going to gated your going to feel like you gained ton of tq i thought this my self, I dynoed with it unhooked drive psi was high like 90 95 psi and 45 intake psi, I did 662 1483ftlbs on 120 tune.... but i hooked the gate up after dynoing and my truck was all get out squirlly so i was like chit i wana dyno again i was sustaining 640 635 and 1350 ftlbs tq and with a missing bolt from my bridge pipe to big turbo LOL .... But i dont think for a fact it will show you power as my results didnt..... felt sluggish with out gate and peppy with gate but your enginge is just loving it more freely going with out all the drive psi wich is best for the motor any how... I DIDNT SHOW GAINS but i have a more then average build with a equal lenght manifold and such

I agree with china town knock offs if thats the quality you want then so be it but i am sure guys that are selling kits for us forum members i dont think theyd stoop that low for us buying ebay knock off junk, so if you want 120 dollar kits or some real stuff thats warrantied and such get with the forum builders....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.