Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
So.. is there torque management on the Aisin??

I thought long and hard about a '18 or a '19 and went with a '18. The CP4 and scissor cam are just too scary for a 1st year run, and it will take 5-7 years before the CP4 is deemed reliable or failure (as it is on the D-MAX). Also not nearly as fond of the body lines. The only thing I really wish my '18 has was something lower than 3.42, but I'm not sure it's really an issue.
What scares you about the cam?

·
Registered
901 Posts
The scissor style gearing and hollow shaft. Just don't seem as robust as previous 6.7's, and neither do the hydraulic lifters...
Funny, those things and the improved cabin heating, plus several other refinements led to this...

Gonna be a long 8-12 weeks...:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
The cabin heat sounds like a cool option, I hope it works better than the Ford's.
Test drove a few when it was 37F outside, truck was sitting for a while, and had noticeable heat within 4 minutes. Coolant was still under 80F. I was pretty much sold at that point.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So I am a bit out of touch on the issue of the motor in the 2019's. Is it the new carbon engine case with the new pistons, injector pump etc.?

Could never figure that out from the advertisements. Thought it would only be with the ZF 8 speed and see the 2019's still have the 69RE. Clear it up for me - is it the "NEW" motor?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Compact Graphite Iron block, new pistons, rings, hydraulic lifters, different cams and timing gears, new CP4.2 pump and some others. Also the HO 1000 Ft lbs torque engine has a lower compression ratio (16.x:1? I think?) vs the regular output motor in the 2500's and some 3500's which has 19:1 or so. HO motor also goes with the Aisin. All are 6 speed. The gas Hemi motors get 8 speeds.
Neat RAM video here.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Compact Graphite Iron block, new pistons, rings, hydraulic lifters, different cams and timing gears, new CP4.2 pump and some others. Also the HO 1000 Ft lbs torque engine has a lower compression ratio (16.x:1? I think?) vs the regular output motor in the 2500's and some 3500's which has 19:1 or so. HO motor also goes with the Aisin. All are 6 speed. The gas Hemi motors get 8 speeds.
Neat RAM video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVGDwNa5j4
Thanks. Read around and figured it out a bit. Guessing the 2020's will be the ones with the ZF transmission. I currently have an EcoDiesel with over 100,000 miles and that ZF. SOB has no way to reasonable check the transmission oil level. Will say this, overheated many times because of a faulty Thermal valve, it is still shifting strong with only one fluid change.

May go back to another Cummins so trying to figure things out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks. Read around and figured it out a bit. Guessing the 2020's will be the ones with the ZF transmission. I currently have an EcoDiesel with over 100,000 miles and that ZF. SOB has no way to reasonable check the transmission oil level. Will say this, overheated many times because of a faulty Thermal valve, it is still shifting strong with only one fluid change.

May go back to another Cummins so trying to figure things out.
I'm thinking it's going to be a few years before the 8 speed arrives. They just upgraded both 6 speeds and I can't believe they'd do that for one year of production

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would think ZF tranny is coming soon to the diesel HD line, if for no other reason just to counter the ferd and cheby 10 speeds coming out.

·
US ARMY Retired
778 Posts
Picked mine up from a dealers lot 3 weeks ago. Mileage seems to be between 17-20 mpg, mostly highway miles. Close to 6k miles now.

On all of my trucks I never saw the best mileage until after 10K miles and the first oil change. To me it seems that the motor isn't broke in until after 10K...I know a lot of people say around 6K...but it was always after 10K for the best mileage and for some reason the mileage always got better after the first oil change....just my experience. I only ever owned 6.7's...I never had a 5.9.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
21 - 40 of 125 Posts