Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, ordered my 2013 3500 srw longhorn and the aisin wasn't showing available so I went and ordered it anyway with the 68 rfe. I'm towing a tt part time but no where pulling the max weight.Im sure the 68rfe is a good trans but why all the hype for the aisin,is it really worth waiting for or for my purposes is the 68 more than fine.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
The 68rfe is fine for anyone up to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) numbers. The 68rfe has been in service for years and has been a great transmission. They've upgraded it to work with the 800 ft/lb torque engine so I doubt it will be a problem.

http://blogs.cars.com/files/2013-ram-hd-25003500-charts.pdf

If you want the AISIN, ask your dealer to check when availability opens and then just have them change your order if it's not locked at that point.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The hype for the aisin is ive read and heard people sayin its suppose to be the answer to the allison. On the other hand I love my 68rfe.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also ordered the 3500 SRW without the Aisin...I have a toy hauler that I will be pulling no more than a handful of times a year. The total weight will never be more than 12,000 lb. for me. For me...why get the BIG transmission and BIG axle ratio if I will probably never need the BIG numbers? I would rather have a proven transmission setup and better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
The AS69RC is an upgrade of the AS68RC used on the C&C trucks.

The AS68RC has been in service for commercial use for years.

Aisin AS69RC Transmission Specs

Reactions: coolbreeze

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Why have a Cummins if you can't hot rod it from time to time?...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I talked with the shop mechanic who specializes in Aisin trannys, and he said
If
Your not maxing out your truck daily and don't want stiffer shifts, then stick with the 68RFE. He said its a great tranny and he prefers it over the Aisin.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I talked with the shop mechanic who specializes in Aisin trannys, and he said
If you're not maxing out your truck daily and don't want stiffer shifts, then stick with the 68RFE. He said its a great tranny and he prefers it over the Aisin.
It's not bad advice, but I'm one of those that likes to have PLENTY of reserve when I'm using a truck. That's why I got a 08 450 instead of a 350, and why it got replaced with my current 3500. I may not use the truck to it's full potential often, but I like the fact that I CAN.

And since I don't have any experience with Ram, why not get the Aisin instead of the 68 RFE? I don't have any experience with either, so the decision was "what does it take to make the truck better for what I want to do, and may want to do in the future?"

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's not bad advice, but I'm one of those that likes to have PLENTY of reserve when I'm using a truck. That's why I got a 08 450 instead of a 350, and why it got replaced with my current 3500. I may not use the truck to it's full potential often, but I like the fact that I CAN.

And since I don't have any experience with Ram, why not get the Aisin instead of the 68 RFE? I don't have any experience with either, so the decision was "what does it take to make the truck better for what I want to do, and may want to do in the future?"

my 2 cents.
Good thought. It all does depend on what you plan to do with your truck. My main concern was payload. A pallet of tile typically weighs 3500-4000 lbs. the ram with the 68RFE was perfect for me. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Personally, ordering the Aisin is more about getting the HO motor and subsequent power than getting just the tranny. If you want more power, the Aisin automatically comes with it.

FWIW, I would get the Aisin if ordering a '13 but would be fine with the 68RFE in a '12.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think it's obvious that the Aisin is a better transmission. It doesn't come down to if you're gonna do this, or if you're gonna do that.

The Aisin is better, if you want it you pay for it.

·
MOD-A-HAULIC
1,264 Posts
My dealer is telling me the Aisin is not available with the SRW is this true?

I am trying to order a 3500 mega SRW and want the Aisin....

HELP...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.