Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After six months I've never seen the water-in-fuel light come on but when I was at the dealer this week for an oxygen sensor replacement I asked them to show me how to drain it, seeing as how the truck would be up on the lift anyway. The tech says "you just open this valve" pointing to the plastic wheel under the filter. Another tech was watching as says to be careful because the fuel will drain all over the sides of the filter instead of through the tube. Sure enough, pretty soon there's a big mess but nothing ever drained the way I expected.

I don't see how any water could have drained out if it's accumulated at the bottom of the filter. It looked like fuel was running from the top down around the flange where the filter screws in (sort of hard to see though). The water would have to be filled to the top before any would come out.

Was my tech doing it wrong? Is it supposed to drain out the tube?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
It should drain out the tube. Dont know what the trouble is, i havent yet got the Water in Fuel Light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine drains out of tube

You have no sig so I am not sure what truck you have but my 06 drains out of the clear tube when the plastic lever is actuated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I get a WIF light after driving on gravel roads with lots of water-filled potholes. I think it's a fault in the wiring - the light comes on and it chimes 5 times. Next time I start up the truck it goes out..... The first few times this happened I checked to see if there was any water in the filter and found zip every time.

as for the clear tube and draining the fuel filter - it's a mess.... on mine some fuel drains out the tube, but just as much drains out the threads of the valve on the bottom (I've never had any leakage out the big threads of the canister) but still fuel goes everywhere and can't be easily directed into a jar or such. it's happened on the original OEM filter and the replacement I got from Genos - seems like a bad design to me.

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
mine leaks out the threads....

...I just do it at the gas/diesel station :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess he did it like everybody else then. Maybe it was leaking at the threads of the plastic wheel. At least that's at the bottom and if there would have been water in the filter, it would have drained out.

Somebody should take some pictures the next time they do a filter change and maybe figure out why it doesn't work the way the owner's manual says (through the tube).

·
Registered
241 Posts
If someone can tell me how to post pix, I'll take some real quick as I'm getting ready to drain mine.

Wow, what a craptastic design. Not sure if there's really any point in posting pix. Seems the only reason for having the tube there is to give the water/fuel a line to follow instead of just going all over the place.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent you a pm with my email address. Send the pics to me and I'll get them into this thread. I'd like to see them even if you're not sure how much they help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The way to drain the filter with no mess is as follows.

1. Find a suitable container to catch the fuel from the filter.

2. Run the clear plastic tube into the container.

3. Open the drain valve about 3 turns or so. Nothing will come out but this is ok.

4. Turn the key to the 'on' position (do not activate the starter). Leave it for about 10 seconds, then turn to off. This will activate the fuel pump and will cause fuel to be forced through the system, including through the filter.

5. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Remember to close the valve when you are done.

Each time this is done, approximately one cup or so of fuel will come out of the filter. The water (if any) will be at the bottom (as it is heavier than the fuel) so it will be forced out.

I hope this helps everyone. I've done this many times and it's worked for me.

Reactions: Banked up

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dodgediesel_Dude,

I just drained my fuel filter and your instructions were great. This was the first time my hand was not covered in Diesel. Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The way to drain the filter with no mess is as follows.

1. Find a suitable container to catch the fuel from the filter.

2. Run the clear plastic tube into the container.

3. Open the drain valve about 3 turns or so. Nothing will come out but this is ok.

4. Turn the key to the 'on' position (do not activate the starter). Leave it for about 10 seconds, then turn to off. This will activate the fuel pump and will cause fuel to be forced through the system, including through the filter.

5. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Remember to close the valve when you are done.

Each time this is done, approximately one cup or so of fuel will come out of the filter. The water (if any) will be at the bottom (as it is heavier than the fuel) so it will be forced out.

I hope this helps everyone. I've done this many times and it's worked for me.
Always had a mess until now, thanks. :thumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just be careful, If you damage the very small o-ring inside the valve you will have to buy a new filter assy. I opened up a few turns and only got fuel over threads, tightened back up and later fuel was all over the ground. Called Dodge dealership, the o-ring is not on the micro fiche, had to go to auto parts store and find a "close" one and make work.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Probably a little safer way to do without stirring up anything inside(as water settles on the bottom). open that little valve a few turns and then loosen the hole filter a couple of turns, dont take it off but just loosen it. You have to vent it from the top to drain that filter. That drain hole is pretty small. If you are going to only drain a small portion and not the hole filter its best if the truck could sit sit for 10 or so minutes. Let everything settle. But if you are going to drain the whole thing it would not matter.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
The easiest way to drain the water from you filter is to crack the valve half a turn and then turn the ignition key to the on position. The fuel pump will push some fluid out the tube. Do this a couple of times. Then close the valve. No need to loosen the filter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've always done it exactly like the owner's manual describes it on my 07, and never had any problems, and never made a mess. I guess I've been lucky.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tried doing it like the owners manual said today..should have read this thread first. Just got the diesel stink off my hands tonight..yuck. Nothing came out of the clear tube.....all came out of the threads.

Next time, this will be easy. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine comes out of the threads too. what a mess. I open a few turns and nothing came out then turned key on ,still nothing. I had to open about 7 turns with key on for diesel to come out but mostly down threads only drips from clear tube. Is something wrong with my valve?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nothing wrong with your filter except the design, or maybe the technical writer that wrote the manual. As stated above, you have to have something coming into the filter before any fuel is going to come out the drain hole. Either air when you loosen the filter shell, or fuel when you use the "key on" method.
The filter shell and cartridge design has been updated on '09 trucks built after 12/15/08, and this new filter design will work on all other years of the 6.7 engine.
New filter has a replaceable cartridge with a 5 micron rating and a cheaper price than replacing the entire shell and cartridge as on early design. Also, the water drain has been re-designed, but I haven't had a chance to get one yet to see how it works. Hopefully it will work as stated in the manual.
Once you buy the new shell and cartridge, you won't have to replace the filter shell when you change the filter cartridge, unless the shell is damaged. New cartridge design won't work in the old filter shell

Part numbers: Mopar 68061633AA Filter and shell
6806164AA Filter only
Fleetguard FS43257 Filter and shell
FS43258 Filter only

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Thats good news if it works!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts