Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post for me here (but have been driving a first gen for 13 years).

I am checking to see if there are any updates on fixing 3.07 Dana 71's (anyone making ring & pinions, carriers, or has anybody been able to fit 3.54's into the 61 & 71 housings?).

The reason I am interested is because I have a '90 W350 with 727 & 3.07 gears (with 4 pinion limited slip carrier). I am worried that if I loose a R&P or carrier, that I will have to buy and change out two complete axles, and then install an overdrive (along with tighter converter), or a A518 or 47RH. I could not afford to do this all at once, and would then have wished that I sold the truck before it broke (me).

I don't like the idea of hoping to find a used one, because they are hard to find, in unknown condition, and I would insist on limited slip (this is a 4WD after all).

If anyone has a source of parts or info on this axle I would appreciate it (or should I sell my truck and get something that I can get parts for?). Doug

·
Registered
596 Posts
3:07

Hey man I believe that you have to change the carrier but you can put in different gears. The 3:07 has a special carrier made only for that gear. Your best bet is to adapt a 14 bolt to your truck. Alot of guys have done this and its fairly cheap.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
What's the lowest for a 14 bolt? 3.43?

I'd sure like an alternative that would be a bit stronger than stock and have something in the 3.00 range. So far the only thing I now of are S110's out of F550's... :drool:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think 14 bolt goes to 3.42's Like begle said. The only thing I know of in the 308 range is the gm 12 and 10 bolt rears and the dana 44 and gm 10 bolt front diffs. In my experence ( I have had 2 3.07's break ) it is the carrier that gives up in the open diff unit. The spider gear pin stretches the carrier to a point that it slides out of the carrier and smacks the case and usually breaks teeth off the ring and pinoin. Supposedly the limited slip diff does not have this issue due to there being 2 side gear pins instead of just one. Lucklly I found a limited slip axle and I hope that is the end. Cost 1000 bucks in a junk yard.. Was the only one in the whole state where I live.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. You can get a 3.21 for the GM 14 bolt, but not for the Dana 61 I got up front. From what I have been able to gather, you cannot put 3.54's into a 71 & 61 axle housing...even with the correct carrier (please correct me if I am wrong).

If I could rebuild my axles with 3.54 parts that would help, but if I am looking at changing out complete axles, that is a deal breaker for me.

What a frustration this is...loose a $500 ring & pinion, and I am looking at $5,000 to $6,000 by the time the truck is fixed & set up for road speeds.

I know that my axle could very well last my lifetime, but knowing that my rear axle is like a golden egg waiting to break is ruining me enjoying this truck.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It bugs me too!!
I have a set of half ton axles from my chevy I used to run around and when I chuncked mine I was almost ready to build a 12 bolt with heavy duty axle shafts And run the dana44 up front with the heavy warn axles and joints.. Was really close.. Even If you broke once and a while atleast you could get parts.. I used to beat them pretty hard and I never had an axle housing up front break and I had a 8 foot plow pounding around. When I was young I never slowed down for anything.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
3.21 GM 14?

Have any information on that one? Know where I can get the parts to put one together?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Nothing new on parts from Dodge. I check pretty regular. No aftermarket support for these gears eather. I would bet that the contract with Dana blocked them from selling aftermarket. It is a common practice for the big 3 MFG's to throw that in a contract for special items.

The last time I checked there were 15 R&P's on back order. Mine was around #10. The only way Dodge will have another production run made is if there are orders are on the computer. Just calling about them means nothing.

Hey man I believe that you have to change the carrier but you can put in different gears. The 3:07 has a special carrier made only for that gear. Your
The housing is different also. If someone has a scrap Dana 60 and 70 carrier they want to throw my way. I can measure my spare 3:08 carriers and tell you the difference in them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"3.21 GM 14?"

Google "randy's ring & pinion" He has a listing for a GM set that is expensive, and I belive an aftermarket set also (Yukon Gear, or somthing like that).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm... That's odd! My buddy and I just pulled apart a 3.07 dana 71 out of my 1990 6bt/727 parts truck. We took the carrier out, bolted a 3.54 ring onto it, and it went right back into the dana 70 under his truck!! (I wanted his L/S for one of my projects). I know the 71 housing is different, but I think the carriers are the same. I know that the axle shafts themselves are... All worked well- no slop, no noise, etc. On that same note I have a clean 3.07 R+P set out of the 1990 for $150, and a 71 housing with axles, shoes, drums, etc for another $200 if anyones interested. No carrier though. I can be reached at [email protected] ...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmmm... That's odd! My buddy and I just pulled apart a 3.07 dana 71 out of my 1990 6bt/727 parts truck. We took the carrier out, bolted a 3.54 ring onto it, and it went right back into the dana 70 under his truck!! (I wanted his L/S for one of my projects). I know the 71 housing is different, but I think the carriers are the same. I know that the axle shafts themselves are... All worked well- no slop, no noise, etc. On that same note I have a clean 3.07 R+P set out of the 1990 for $150, and a 71 housing with axles, shoes, drums, etc for another $200 if anyones interested. No carrier though. I can be reached at [email protected] ...
My D71/D61 axles have 3.54:1 gears and lock-rights...

There is WAY too much rumor about these axles and very little fact...

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great info Powerwagon & Nooblet!

Nooblet-Are you sure you have the 61 & 71 series axles and not the 60 & 70? You list your truck as having a Getrag...I belive a Getrag truck would have come with a 60 & 70 series (with 3.54's).

Powerwagon-I think I will take you up on the gears. I will e-mail you after work tomorrow night when I have some time (I have to be somewhere asap).

·
Registered
311 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Here is the tag on the front diff cover, but I've also checked out the ring gear numbers last time I had the diff covers off, they are 3.54:1 gears, with a lock-right locker in both the front and rear.

Rear of front diff.

Some BOM numbers from the rear, I haven't looked them up yet.

Rear diff cover numbers, I don't know what these are.

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
My BOM on the front axle is 610342, but I can't read the rest without wire-wheeling the axle tube, here is what I found though...

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXL-PNI-40.pdf

I can't find anything that resembles a BOM on my rear axle, none of the numbers match anything...

I would look more, but I have to go to work now.

Chris

EDIT:

from the dana site...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the information Chris. This certainly changes what I know about these axles & trucks.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
powerwagon your the first I have heard about changing out a carrier like that. I have wondered if the carriers were the same. I haven't been able to find a 3:54 carrier assy to measure so I can see the differences if any.

BTW I know Dodge lists the 3:08 carrier under a different part number than a 3:54. I have checked for interchange that way.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Everything I've seen says the carriers used with the 3.07's will work with any R&P up to 4.10's like a normal D60 carrier. The only real difference in the D61 axles is the housing is cast different, which is why you need a spacer for the lower gears.

I know of one guy running 5.13's in a D61 with a spacer and the lower ratio carrier.

I've heard stories of dodge sending out trucks with 4.10's in D61s stock, but I've never actually seen one. I've seen 2 or 3 with 3.54's in D61s like mine though.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts