Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Any tranny guru's?

1143 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  93oilburner
I have a problem, i have a 95 with a auto and it has a torque converter lock up switch installed. when i put the truck in drive and leave a stop sign it shifts through the gears and into OD before i am even going 15-20 mph. it also seems as though the torque converter is slipping quite excessively. When i leave the lockup switch off and i am excellerating it seems to want to lock up then unlock the do it again; at highway speeds in 3rd and OD. Any ideas?
I thought the 47rh was a mechanical/hydraulic tranny or is there a pcm that operates the shift points and so forth?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
The 47Rh is a hydraulic trans in the 1st three gears. The PCM controlls OD and converter lockup.

Check the setting of your throttle position sensor.

TPS testing and adjustment

If your upshifting into 3rd below 20 MPH I would adjust the throttle valve cable also. I couldn't find a write up for a 2nd gen on how to adjust it. I hope one of the 2nd gen guy's steps in for that.

· Registered
208 Posts
also check your brake light switch. next time it shifts in and out of lochup and overdrive put you foot behind the brake petal and pull it towards you.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Check the kick down cable adjustment. Also check your governor pressure. It should be about the same PSI as the speedo. In other words if you are going 20 MPH governor pressure should be about 20 PSI. Even if it does not exactly match governor pressure should increase in step with the speedo.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so i checked the tps, it is a little jumpy so i may replace it soon but that little sensor is no cheap date, $170. But when i leave a stop i go through 1st 2nd 3rd then OD before i hit 20 mph, if i ease into or floor it. My understanding is that the tv cable controls 1-3 shifts so i checked that out. i don't even put any tension on the cable till full throttle. how much movement should be in the arm on the tranny? shouldn't i be applying increasing tension on the cable all the way through the throttle movement.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
shouldn't i be applying increasing tension on the cable all the way through the throttle movement
Yes it should.

I wish I had a 12valve 2nd gen around close. I could look at the linkage on it for you.

· Registered
27 Posts
TV cable should move in a 1:1 relationship with the throttle. In other words, when you start to move the throttle the TV should start moving. At full throttle the TV should be at the max travel limit.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am having serious problems with this tranny. I got the TPS hooked up and adjusted properly, connected and rigged the TV cable properly, then adjusted the bands, FWD and rear, now this P.O.S. wont shift to save its life. It shifts from 1st to 2nd but not until about 2500rpm and a very firm shift. After that, nothing... won't go into 3rd or OD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.