Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading as much about these DPF delete kits on the forum and watching my EGT's skyrocket for 25-40mins each day while in regen mode, I've decided to purchase a DPF kit and throw the warranty out the window.

I called Performance Diesel Inc. in Utah about the H&S DPF kit, and they recommended the Edge w/Juice to go along with it and will install everything for $2100. It's about an 8hr drive from here in Arizona, but I'd rather have someone who has installed several of these and can do it correctly.

My question to the forum is, should this be all that I need? Do I still have to buy a MP-8 ? I read alot about these flash codes and I honestly dont know what my truck has. I've never once seen anything on the overhead other than oil change required.

With the 5" DPF kit, am I going to loose any torque? I do alot of heavy towing, so torque is more important to me than hotroding.

Any words of advice before I make the appointment next week?

Thanks,

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
The Edge should be all you need to clear the codes. I cant imagine you losing enough torque if any to be noticeable. Should be good to go with that setup. The MP-8 is a stack most of us use to get a couple extra MPGs. By no means is it necessary. Good Luck and enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After reading as much about these DPF delete kits on the forum and watching my EGT's skyrocket for 25-40mins each day while in regen mode, I've decided to purchase a DPF kit and throw the warranty out the window.

I called Performance Diesel Inc. in Utah about the H&S DPF kit, and they recommended the Edge w/Juice to go along with it and will install everything for $2100. It's about an 8hr drive from here in Arizona, but I'd rather have someone who has installed several of these and can do it correctly.

First off unless you are going to do a lot of HP modifications in the future, you don't need the 5" system. Whether you go 4" or 5" you won't lose any torque.

You already have a 4" MBRP cat back system, I would talk to Shane at BADP and see if he will sell you just the TBE parts you need that will mate up with your existing cat back system. That way you don't replace perfectly good parts you've already purchased.

If you wait and get the code free system from BADP, then you don't need an Edge controller unless you want to program for higher HP or clear codes from doing things like an EGR delete.

My personal opinion is you will get better, consistent customer support from BADP than from H&S. H&S has no website and it seems you can only communicate with them by email. Some folks seem to get good response from them but others don't. I've never heard any complaints about BADP and Shane actually monitors this forum and provides direct feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Do you have to use the edge? Will any other programmer work?
The Edge is the only programmer that currently has the ability to clear codes on startup.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called BADP today and got right thru with no problems. I'm leaning towards BADP delete pipe and leaving the stock down pipe on, only cause it would be easier for me to change out if I needed to have warranty work done. Does anyone have just the pipe on and the stock downpipe in place, or should I get the downpipe too? Whats the real difference in 4" or 5". Lower EGT's, better MPG, an a nice sound is all I'm looking for.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I had just the pipe and left the downpipe in. It helps a bit to change out the Downpipe. A little lower EGTs, and Little more sound. Cant say it help mileage a ton.

·
Registered
343 Posts
hey diver i have just the 4 in delete pipe and it is great my mpgs went from 14.8 to 17.6 hand caculated

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I go with the BADP kit, my only problem is finding a shop here in town that will install it. if I go with H&S, PDI in Utah can do everything for me. I like the fact that BADP is working on the code box, but again I need someone to install it, and short drive over to Texas is WAY out of the question

·
Banned
275 Posts
Why not come down to Phoenix...most of the shops down here, except for D-Rat will install them

·
Registered
343 Posts
the install is very easy i did it in my drive way in under two hours

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dunes-runner,
Can you tell me what shops may do it? I called Extreme Conversions near Bell Rd and I-17 and they told me not NO, but heck NO would they install that. Desert Ratt on Rural in Tempe told me they would install it for $150 if I bought the Edge from them and had it installed. DR was the place that installed my BANKS intercooler.

I've made up my mind that I'm going with the BADP since they seem to be working on the codes and there prices seem decent to me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
porkchop, it sounds like you are volunteering to install mine...? lol. I dont trust myself, its better I pay someone who knows what they are doing

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey porkchop,
Any chance you could e-mail me a sound clip of your truck? I've heard the TBE but not with the stock down pipe and just the DPF delete pipe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts