Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone ever had this or tried this. Thanks

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have had the shift master for about a month now and am very pleased. kind of a pain in the @$$ to wire up but once it is on you will be happy. no more erratic shifting is nice and it seems to hold the power of the truck A LOT better than stock.

·
Registered
250 Posts
not to be an idiot, what does it do?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
what i understood is that it interrupts the signal going to the computer,and it ups the line pressure . the three position switch gives like 10% more line pressure, 30% more and then like 50%more if i understood right. for the $$$ it is really worth it, for me, at least until i can buy a fully built tranny!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Approx. how much does one of these units go for?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
so this shift master doesn't work well on a 04.5!

·
Registered
529 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Basically it should work well on any 48RE transmission that does NOT have a TV cable and uses the "BRAIN" to communicate throttle position.

·
Banned
516 Posts
well what 48re have that, cause i have no idea what your saying!

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
If your TPS has a cable running from it to the Valve body lever on the trans, the shiftmaster is NOT for you.

Somewhere between 04.5 and 05 model years Dodge phased out the TV cable and began using an electronic brain to control the trans. If your truck has the brain it will work, if it does not you can adjust your TV cable.

Dodge changes things during production runs and model years, so knowing if it's for you in an 04.5 model year truck is not as easy as you would like it to be.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just installed mine 2 nights ago. Great for pulling the 5er around. Daily driving I did notice a bit of a hard shift on all 3 settings if i Got on it pretty good. The shift searching is gone and holds the 2-3 shift open a bit longer.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Where are you guys mounting the switch on the inside of the truck? PICS PLEASE!!:thumbsup

Curious, because I will be installing mine pretty soon.

·
Banned
516 Posts
If your TPS has a cable running from it to the Valve body lever on the trans, the shiftmaster is NOT for you.

Somewhere between 04.5 and 05 model years Dodge phased out the TV cable and began using an electronic brain to control the trans. If your truck has the brain it will work, if it does not you can adjust your TV cable.

Dodge changes things during production runs and model years, so knowing if it's for you in an 04.5 model year truck is not as easy as you would like it to be.
ok your making more sense now can you tell me where to look for this stuff!

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
ok your making more sense now can you tell me where to look for this stuff!
Look on the drivers side of the trans right back of where it bolts to the engine. If you have 2 cables there you have the TV cable. Other one is the shifter cable.

AFAIK, 05 is the first production run of the transmissions with the TV motor. I have never seen or heard of an 04.5 with the TV motor, but, ya never know. :)

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Look on the drivers side of the trans right back of where it bolts to the engine. If you have 2 cables there you have the TV cable. Other one is the shifter cable.

AFAIK, 05 is the first production run of the transmissions with the TV motor. I have never seen or heard of an 04.5 with the TV motor, but, ya never know. :)
X2 :beer

·
Banned
516 Posts
ok thanks guys, if i have the cables does it still work or not. or does it just not work very good and isn't worth wasteing my time!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts