Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one mixing fuel with waste oil. I have been doing it now for a couple of months and all systems seem ok. Im at a 50/50 mix here in the south. any one else??
thanks

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
So how are you filtering this WMO? What about your fuel filtration.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Maybe, maybe I might try it if I had a centrifuge. But probably not. I like my injectors.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm asking if anyone else is doing it and I'm not recommending it to anyone...lol

Shainer, i filter it first threw two layers of denim cloth then pump it threw a two micron filter..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use to do it when I had a 7.3 non turbo Ford. I would go get used automatic tranny fluid from some shops. It was pretty dirty looking, so it probably had some old engine oil in it. I would dump this into a 50 gal drum that I put an air fitting on it,and a hose fitting. I would pressurize the drum to 5-7psi and run the output hose to an old AMSOIL cartridge bypass filter that had a new cartridge in it. The filter was a 5 micron. The output of the filter went to another drum which collected the clean oil. I would put 8 gal of this in with 8 gal of diesel. I had 16 gal tanks on that Ford.

Ran like a champ. I got 260,000 mile out of the original injector pump. Many of my buddies replace their injector pumps every 80k or so. When I had it replaced the dealer could not believe I got that many miles out of the pump.

Now I have not tried this on the RAM. Our Cummins' run a lot higher pressure and have tighter tolerances in that injector pump and injectors.

Theoretically it should work, just make sure you really filter that oil good. Run it through a 5 micron filter then have 2 micron fuel filter on your truck.

Let us all know how you do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a little update. As of this post i have not had one issue of mixing 50-50 waste oil in my 05. Just made a 2300 mile trip on my super blend . again not telling anyone to do it just giving u all an update

·
Registered
402 Posts
sounds crazy.. what kind of mpg?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more update. I just changed oil , no changes in engine oil consumption and have hit close to 17k on the 50 50 mix. engine still runs great , smokes a little at idle after awhile but clears up after a couple of throttle blips. Ive changed the fuel filter two times since last oil change. Im all stock and will update again on next oil change...... Oh empty i still get 22 24 mpg ,pulling a light tandem axle trailer 18-20 and that sometimes is more mpg if the trailer is empty..lol

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
wait. so you guys mix 1L of diesel with 1L of used, dirty, oil garbage oil and end up with 2L of 100% useable fuel?

so instead of putting 120L of diesel into my truck for 140$, I can just put in 60L of diesel and 60L of used oil.. if I can find that much?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is a little update. I went a trip with the slide in truck camper and towing a car. about 900 miles into the trip i lost power. I could not bring my aux tank of waste oil mix and was using straight diesel. The 2 micron filter was plugged solid lol. I carry spare filters ,installed a new one and all went back to normal. Im back on the 50-50 mix now and my junk just seems to run so much better on the mix. In over 30k miles this was the first problem with the waste oil. The straight diesel must of been cleaning the oil slime in the tank..

just an update to keep people informed on how this waste oil is working for me

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Used to a LOT on my old 7.3. even running 90 percent waste oil. No way I would do it on my ram, Just too scared of killing the injectors.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I want to do this so badly but am so scared at the sime time!!!

I change all my own fluids and have got quite a collection of waste fluids that I have to keep hauling off. If I had a 2nd gen I would have already went for it.

Keep with the updates!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I have not done it and at one time was dead set against it, BUT, a tank of diesel cost me about 125$, so it would not take long to re coup the cost of injectors if the fuel was free...
something to think about

30000miles for me equals about 7500 in fuel (If running straight WMO), that would pay for quite a few injectors/ nosels or CP3

·
Registered
335 Posts
There is a guy with a thread open right now that is having major issues with his truck because of doing this... It should e in the active section, titled injector problems I believe. Aught to read up on it a little... Very expensive risk for small savings, just sayin.

04.5 2500 w/ facelift, PPE 215hp tune, Amsoil 6" CAI, BD boost fooler, Garmon Stg 2 w/ comp VB:thumbsup: 4" straight to turkey smoker, silencer ring MIA, rolling 22s with 4" drop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've done it in small amounts like a gallon or 2 to a fill up and haven't had any problems. I filtered it with some 5 Micron filters I got off ebay. I've had a few people scare me out of doin it though. I have a buddy that'll run as thick as a mix as his pump will flow on his old ford. He practically drives it for free(gets it by the barrel from work)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was in a pinch before and ran about 50-75% mix used ATF...truck wasn't all that happy, lost some MPG (but the fuel was dang near free...so who cares), and it was cold out so that probably played into it. I don;t think I'll be doing it again anytime soon, but I knew my injectors weren't going to make it too much longer so I wasn't too worried about it.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I used to do it but only 2 gallons per tank. Ran the WMO through a 1 micron filtration sock several times before using. It was such a PITA I stopped doing it.

MikeyB

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also ran (my own) waste oil in my 2nd gen with great results, few gallons in a tank here and there. Quieted things down, lubed fuel system nicely.

If you want to use waste oil but are scared of the horror stories people are referring to, you need to research "black diesel" and the filtering techniques used in its production. There is nothing per se wrong with waste oil in your tank.

Jake

·
Registered
149 Posts
ive been running about 75% atf and 25% fuel. for about 20k now. doesnt like it on the cold mornings but it comes to life. im in the process of using a mixure of wmo and min oil for fuel. and nothing else. only word of advise is filter filter filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts