Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while im having issues with my 2007 6.7 im brain storming and thinking about selling. Ive owened 7.3/6.0 powerstrokes and a 05 5.9 and this 6.7 cummins. Ive had issues with every single one of them. I just always love the torque of a diesel and very seldom use them for what they are intended for. This truck i have now i only drive during the summer, has never seen salt and last year i only put 300miles on it. When i do drive it i baby it because its tuned deleted and im terrified of popping the head gasket or tranny. I am very seriously considering selling it and buying a newer 3/4 ton gasser. Just not sure if id be happy with the lack of power. Im sure people here have gone back and forth with these trucks

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don’t think I ever could. It sucks going from driving my diesel for a few days then go back to the daily work truck, 2500 6.0 gasser. Total lack of oomph. I am sure you would get used to it though, get a gasser with 4:10 gearing or better and it will help.

·
2,615 Posts
I laugh everytime I drive a gas pickup for somebody. Thinking to myself "is this what people think is acceptable power, having to rev the engine to 7k before the truck starts moving?"

There is pros and cons to both.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, and 3.92 gears.
It was a really slick powertrain. I never felt it was lacking for power climbing up mountain grades with a couple of dirt bikes in the back.
That 8 speed was supremely smooth, was always in the right gear, never lugged, never over revved, no rough shifts. Just effortless.

Sometimes I regret selling that truck. It was incredibly comfortable.

I imagine the 19+ 6.4 Hemi with the 8 speed would be even better.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i like trucks not so much into cars. This things is my play toy pretty much, my other truck is a 2016 f150 with the 5.0. i just love the power a diesel has, when you hit a hill it dosnt down shift , it just goes. I cant justify a newer diesel because of the cost and the emissions( i hit a bump and mine fell off). So im stuck with the older trucks if i want a diesel, if i hauled every weekend then it wouldnt be so bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought the wife a new Chevy Trailboss with the 6.2 and 10 speed trans 420 HP 460 TQ I figured it would tow my 22 ft pontoon boat with no problems, don't get me wrong it pulls it but at 75-80 mph it is shifting up and down even in tow / haul mode and gets 9mpg needless to say I use my 99 Cummins to pull it and no problem at all rolls right along at 80 no down shifting and gets 15 mpg so for me a gasser just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just bought the wife a new Chevy Trailboss with the 6.2 and 10 speed trans 420 HP 460 TQ I figured it would tow my 22 ft pontoon boat with no problems, don't get me wrong it pulls it but at 75-80 mph it is shifting up and down even in tow / haul mode and gets 9mpg needless to say I use my 99 Cummins to pull it and no problem at all rolls right along at 80 no down shifting and gets 15 mpg so for me a gasser just doesn't cut it.

Not to highjack this thread but you pull a 22 pontoon boat at 80 mph???? That's straight up stu.... not very smart. I doubt the tires are rated for that speed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was waiting for someone to chime in LOL The trailer is a double axle disc brakes on all wheels. Tires are 15 inch radials with a speed rating 'N' which is rated at 87 mph she pulls great.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Can't help but wonder what could cause a 10-speed trans to shift more often than a 6-speed.
Your right foot......

actually the more gears the more reasons to shift and stay in the torque band.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was waiting for someone to chime in LOL The trailer is a double axle disc brakes on all wheels. Tires are 15 inch radials with a speed rating 'N' which is rated at 87 mph she pulls great.
I'll chime right back in, its stupid and putting others at risk since those trailers have a tendency to tip over. Many a pontoon has been welded back closed and pressure tested because the "Qualified Captain" turned a corner and the only thing that prevented a tip over was the pontoon dragging asphalt. But hey, its your stuff, drag it as you see fit, you'll only wreck one once at those speeds.

·
Unregistered
23,879 Posts
Your right foot......

actually the more gears the more reasons to shift and stay in the torque band.
Could also be any change in elevation, wind, etc. But it does crack me up when people crave 8, 9, or 10 gear transmissions, then are surprised when they shift more often.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Could also be any change in elevation, wind, etc. But it does crack me up when people crave 8, 9, or 10 gear transmissions, then are surprised when they shift more often.
Oh dang, I missed the sarcasm earlier, well played.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I would have no problem going to a gasser..
I grew up with 2wd gassers, 150's, they did everything needed that a 4x4 2500/3500, diesel does now. On the farm. Yes they had the 460 in it.
But, but, the EB, pulling 2 full 3 empty anhydrouse tanks, no brakes on the tank trailers, you could still stop, with the gassers. Going down and up big hills with a 5ver, no problem, there were no diesel pickup trucks.
If i got a fair price for my 2015 2500 2door 4x4, cummins, I would get a gasser, i could do what i have been doing for the last 7 years with a 1500 ram 2 door 2wd, with the pentastar 6r, in it.
After this crazy world calms down, i may order my 1500, i can easy get rid of my 2500, just dont know what a fair price would be..........

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll chime right back in, its stupid and putting others at risk since those trailers have a tendency to tip over. Many a pontoon has been welded back closed and pressure tested because the "Qualified Captain" turned a corner and the only thing that prevented a tip over was the pontoon dragging asphalt. But hey, its your stuff, drag it as you see fit, you'll only wreck one once at those speeds.
It's OK I get it, some people are better off living life in the slow lane. After pulling for 40 years I got a pretty good feel for the limitations of my rig. Gotta buy good stuff and it will perform.

• Haha
Reactions: H3LZSN1P3R
1 - 20 of 57 Posts