Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fit some Hummer H2 wheels on my 1st Gen. Need some sleeves turned to size-down the lug bores and seats on the rims to fit the 1/2" lug studs and lug nuts.

Anyone with a metal lathe and a little skill could turn these out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
But can you afford them? My shop rate is $75/hr (1 hr minimum) + material. Do you have an accurate drawing?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Honestly, it's easier to just put the 9/16 studs in the truck. I did that on my old 1st gen. knock the old studs out. Oversize the hole to the right size, and put the new studs in. Safer too. IMO. I wouldn't trust driving around with little inserts holding the wheels on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's easier to just put the 9/16 studs in the truck.
I wondered about installing larger studs but didn't think it would be an easy job. It does sound far safer.

Ironically, just when I found a guy on my island that has a lathe for sale. Right here in the middle of the Pacific.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will any of these work for you? Wheel Inserts
Thanks ChaseTruck754 !!

These are exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to measure the Hummer wheels to select the right parts. I was looking on the Internet but was searching for "sleeves", not "inserts".

The lathe I found is such a good deal that I'll buy it anyway. I was planning to make fat lug nuts with 1/2-26 threads.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Unless you are machining the centers of the hummer wheels to be dead on with the hubs you'll want th conical seat inserts and lug nuts. The older trucks like ours had lug-centric wheels (conical seat lug that centers the wheels), whereas the newer wheels are all hubcentric.
You dodn't want the flat based lugs on your truck unless you machine the hummer wheels to be hubcentric - IF you can figure out what the specs are on your truck to make that work...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I knew the wheel centered itself on the lugs. Thanks for the "lug-centric" and "hubcentric" terms. And the lug seats are conical, not rounded, as you say.

I noticed the wheel inserts have 60d seats for the lug nuts but nothing specified for the wheel seats. I sent a message to the company for clarification.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The newer trucks are lug centric also. Alot of people think they are hub centric but they are not. You nailed it Chase..... if a wheel is centered by the lug nuts, it is lug centric. Lug centric wheels have conical seat nuts. Hub centric wheels are centered by the center hub, and have flat nuts that just hold the wheel tight to the flange. I don't know why people keep talking about the newer trucks being hub centric. They all think that they have to machine the H2 wheels to be a perfect match to the truck hub or they'll fall off or something? As long as the center hub hole in the wheel will clear the hub of the truck, they'll work. If the hole is bigger, that just makes it easier to put the wheels on and off. The nuts do all the work, and the centering!

Sorry for the rant!!!! Didn't mean to hijack the thread either!!!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Your "big" trucks, semi's, etc. are hub centric. Probly because that's a heavier duty setup. But I personally like the lug centric myself.

Plus, being lug centric, wheels can be swapped from one vehicle to another with the same bolt pattern. Aftermarket wheel companies would have a field day if all vehicles were hub centric. They'd have to make the same wheel in 50 different hub sizes to fit every vehicle. Being lug centric, they just make the hub hole big enough to fit most vehicles with that particular bolt pattern. Thus making aftermarket wheels more, "universal".

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Plus, being lug centric, wheels can be swapped from one vehicle to another with the same bolt pattern. Aftermarket wheel companies would have a field day if all vehicles were hub centric. They'd have to make the same wheel in 50 different hub sizes to fit every vehicle. Being lug centric, they just make the hub hole big enough to fit most vehicles with that particular bolt pattern. Thus making aftermarket wheels more, "universal".
Exactly. My current rims are off of a 2006 GMC. I had to make the hub diameter a 1/4" bigger with a die grinder...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
YUP. Same for many of us running the H2 Hummer wheels. People get so worried about making the hub hole just perfect. WHY? Make it clear the hub so it goes on and off easily. The nuts do all the work!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen a truck around here running the late(00-06) GMC alloys,what does it take to put them on,besides opening the center a bit?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
That's it for the H2 wheels! Plus you'll have to modify the center caps for the wheels to fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts