Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance you might be working on some engine tuning or TCM tunes for the Jeep Liberty CRD with a 5-45RFE trans?

3,180 Posts
lol im doubting it although it would sell a few thousand contollers i wouldnt think it would cover the cost. possibly look at isx&qsx.. they say they make tunes for jeeps not sure it its the liberty though

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CRD Liberty is a different beast than the gassers. Unfortunately they're a hodge podge of controllers. There's the PCM which is from Jeep/Chrysler, it's functionality is limited and only serves as a gateway really. There's also the BCM which handles the dash and body stuff. There's a ECM from Bosch for the VM 2.8 CRD. Also there's a TCM for the transmission. It's a mess really as the PCM, ECM, and TCM fight for contention on who's master. I don't understand how it all works, but from a drivers standpoint there's no issues or bugs. But it doesn't lend itself to tuning. Kerma, Inmotion, and Green Diesel Engineering make tunes for it. But no one touches the TCM. There was a Chrysler campaign to "solve" the transmission issues these jeeps have. The solution was to increase the torque management and change the shift points in the TCM programming. Along with detuning the engine a bit. Since we bought the CRD used, it already had this campaign loaded.

I'd like to find someone who'd not only develop a engine tune, but also a TCM "fix" to restore it back to the way it rolled off the assembly line. I've already addressed the weak point of the transmission in our Libby with a ASP converter, Transgo Shift kit, and a PML pan.

3,180 Posts
id be willing to bet that if mhp saw a good need for it they might be able to create one.. they do make a tune for just about anything lol

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I'm guessing that Dave at B&G Chrysler could straighten it out.:confused013:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
As of now we have no plans for the liberty. This could change as we free up some time after we release the 2010 6.7L tuning. Cummins uses a totally different ECM that Chrysler, that is why none of the guys tuning Chrysler have done it yet. I will for sure let you guys know if we end up starting on the liberty.

Casey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Liberty CRD tune

GRD (green diesel)'s eco tune increases HP, torque, and MPG as well as cleans up the MAP issues and corrects the fuel gauge. It is pricey $450, but if you are going to keep the Jeep for a few years it will pay for itself in Fuel savings. They have a HOT tune as well, but it is not recommended unless you go to a Heavy duty Torque convertor, like a suncoast.
I have had a Dodge diesel since 1992. Bought the Jeep 45 dayus ago, the Lost Jeeps forum has a ton of info and improvements that improve the little beast considerably. A lift pump, a Provent 200, and the GRD tune are pretty strong recomdations. Modifying the air intake box and exhaust is commonly done. I have been having fun playig with the little guy.
My 92 Dodge, a cold air intake (which cost $60) instantly gave me 3 more MPG.
Bob

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, pretty much limited to GRD, Inmotion, or Kerma for tunes. We're running power puck for now. I've beefed up the transmission already (converter, shift kit, pan) and I've already ditched the stock muffler. Haven't touched the intake due to the fact the wife drives it and doesn't care for the turbo whine. I ran the elephant hose, but didn't like it. On average we see 25mpg to 27mpg with her driving. Me trying, 29mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts