Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i've been hesitant about doing this to my new truck, but feel pretty confident in myself now. i went to Lowe's and picked up some Valspar Satin Black spray paint, some 600 grit, and painters tape. Then went down the street to get some Nite Shades from Advance Auto Parts, to do the tails, and 3rd brake.

Anyone have any last minute suggestions before i start this little project??

thanks,

John

*any and all advice is welcome!*

·
Registered
705 Posts
I sprayed my cab lights and I didn't do any sanding... They came out fine.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
Its all in the prep.... the better the prep the better it will come out... never sprayed my tails and lights before but the wheels yes.... it lasts a while but out here where I live they got chipped up pretty quick...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, a little sneak peak...

will post more pics tomorrow, i learned after the first one to make a nice cardboard cut out to keep the over spray off the rubber.

-John

*EDIT*
this was the first one (practice one) :D

Reactions: ruidosododge

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Anyone have any last minute suggestions before i start this little project??

thanks,

John

*any and all advice is welcome!*
ya dont do it. Spray painting rims on a 2011 $50,000 truck, come on man. It will look ok for a very short time then look like poo:doh:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya dont do it. Spray painting rims on a 2011 $50,000 truck, come on man. It will look ok for a very short time then look like poo:doh:
too late!!

lol:shock:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbsup: I like it!!! Your running 35's with stock suspension, do you have any rubbing issues?
just some rubbing at full lock....never any other time.:thumbsup:

Reactions: kashlak

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would have taken each one off the truck for paint....not just painted the calipers, rotors, and lugs. :confused013:

To each their own

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll post some pics here in a bit, i'm done now.....as for the brakes and calipers, i covered them with paper....i'll post a pic so you can see the black wheel and the silverish caliper.

-John

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
50 grand on a truck and you didn't spend the money to do a job that would last longed then a few week's I would of had the wheel's Powder coated that would of looked Sweet . but that's my 2 cent's not your's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well he did ask for any last minute advise yesterday...
If you've changed your mind just take a rag with a bit of lacquer thinner on it and wipe anything you accidentally (or let's face it, the whole damn rim) off. Don't scrub because you'll screw up the clear coat. The longer it sits and the more sun it gets, the harder it's going to be to get it clean without damaging the rim. If you decide to leave it, it will begin to chip pretty quickly and then it will look like ka-ka, touching up spray paint always looks bad. Just sayin'

P.s. Make sure you use a white rag, the red rags will bleed. And wear some really heavy rubber gloves, lacquer thinner eats through the cheap ones FAST!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more pics!!!

well, there they are....the pics really doesn't do them justice, i'm actually very impressed with the way they came out. and for only ~$17 worth of supplies, you can't beat it. for some reason, the rake on my truck looks hideous, but its really not that bad at all.

anyway, hope you all enjoy them. i can take some better ones sometime soon, these were just a few snaps with my crappy iphone.

thanks,

John

Reactions: DodgeMech

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
50 grand on a truck and you didn't spend the money to do a job that would last longed then a few week's I would of had the wheel's Powder coated that would of looked Sweet . but that's my 2 cent's not your's
i plan on getting some aftermarkets wheels sometime.....but i wanted some black wheels now, so i decided to go this route. saved me over a thousand dollars, and IMO, looks good.

-John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts