Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

any ideas?

845 6
I've searched out this and didn't really find what I was looking for. My truck has 25,XXX miles on it and puffs blue smoke when driving. Only does it within the first 5 minutes of actual driving (not sitting idling) when I'm going down a gradual grade. When it is occurring my mini maxx says my throttle position is at 3-5% (just enough to keep the exhaust brake from coming on). It started doing this when I was running my smarty, but still does it with the new tuner. No excessive smoke at WOT (actually almost none at all thanks to MCC) and doesn't run bad either. I've checked the turbo and have a little side to side play( you can definitely feel it ), but no in/out play. All the fluid is normal as are my gauges. Not sure if it is indeed a turbo issue or something else. I just don't want to ruin a motor that isn't under warranty:doh:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
I've searched out this and didn't really find what I was looking for. My truck has 25,XXX miles on it and puffs blue smoke when driving. Only does it within the first 5 minutes of actual driving (not sitting idling) when I'm going down a gradual grade. When it is occurring my mini maxx says my throttle position is at 3-5% (just enough to keep the exhaust brake from coming on). It started doing this when I was running my smarty, but still does it with the new tuner. No excessive smoke at WOT (actually almost none at all thanks to MCC) and doesn't run bad either. I've checked the turbo and have a little side to side play( you can definitely feel it ), but no in/out play. All the fluid is normal as are my gauges. Not sure if it is indeed a turbo issue or something else. I just don't want to ruin a motor that isn't under warranty:doh:
Hmmm... Can you confirm blue (usually oil), or maybe it is white (usually fuel)?
And it does not do it when fully warmed up, nor at idle? And I assume the smoke lingers a long time?

Gotta get a better idea of the situation before I could theorize whats happening.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is blue smoke. It has gotten worse with time. When the motor is cold at idle (first start up for example) it doesn't smoke at all. When the truck is first started and not allowed to idle for any amount of time before driving is when I notice it the most. Once I've drove it for about 1 mile it quits smoking. The smoke does linger for a little bit (have to burp the throttle a couple times to get it cleaned out). I've checked the engine oil and if it's using any oil it doesn't show on the dip stick, nor do I have a strong diesel fuel smell on the dip stick. Even under WOT there isn't any blue smoke. Just going down a grade on initial cold start up at approximately 3% throttle with 0% engine load. When I checked the shaft play on the turbo I noticed a very thin film of oil on the intake flange, but I didn't think anything of it. Could that be the problem?

·
1791 Conservative
2,336 Posts
I only see smoke when engine is cold from the exhaust. Kinda white. It goes away quickly. Almost like a gas engine. And some black smoke when I give it over 50%. BUT, I am running the H&S box tune. I have not yet seen blue smoke.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by cold start up I'm referring to the initial start up of the truck, not necessarily the ambient temperature outside. It could be 60*F and the truck still does it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
did u figure out the problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.