Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to find out what has worked for anyone here in Utah, I have been out a few times and been skunked. Also looking for possible hot spots.:confused013:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice bull! We saw a ton of elk today and deer and 5 turkeys! It was a good day! I know where some coyotes are.I just haven't been 'dog' huntin in years...I may be interested in going if you got a good call,etc...

·
Registered
634 Posts
And so is the wife!!!

Tree Hugger!!!!:hehe::hehe::hehe:
uh, Lucky ! My wife told me this year that she wants to go next year and shoot a big Elk, I said no problem babe

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
that bull scored 320B&C off the Fishlake Unit. It was a blast.

Now, back to Coyotes...
i have had about the same success with yotes as you have...been skunked a couple of times. learned real quick you gota play the wind...or have scent free on. no i dont know any places to go but wouldn't mind going with ya. i got a Tac-20(223 necked to 20cal) that needs to shoot a dog.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I know a few people that head out towards delta when they go. A few others head out towards wyoming and say there are plenty out that way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have gone out towards delta a few times. And also Vernon. I am about to try out towards wendover, I have heard good things about the area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Coyote hunting has been difficult the last 2 years or so. Ive heard that they have been sending trappers out in planes doing shoot overs through out the West desert. They are killing hundreds of dogs. Like i said before the dogs have been rough calling the last couple years. I use to go out toward Vernon Delta area and bring back Yote's every time. The last 2 years Ive been skunked on number of occasion's. So this year Ive kind of switched things up and its helped quite a bit. Still not as good as its been But at least Ive been getting them ever other time or better.
Ive started hunting more in the mountain range, foot hills and such. Trying new areas Ive never been before. Not so much the desert. Ive also started to stay in stands longer (30 mins to 45min) in some a cases. Ive only had the opportunity to bring 5 home this year so far. But all of them have came in late. Like 20 mins or so.
Your scent is a huge factor in it also. I shower right before i go with scent killer soap. When I get out of the truck I soak everything with scent killer spray. "usually on the first stand is all". I dont want to go broke, buying scent killer. Ive had 2 of the 5 coyotes come up from down wind. They acted like something was up but I think the scent killer kept my scent down enough that it didnt spoke them.
Utah is hard to hunt yotes because there are so many predator hunters. they get smart quick.
Ive heard that Wyoming and Nevada are killer places to go. Ive been wanting to take a trip but haven't yet.
So you can try some of these tactics and hopefully it will help out.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
On our ranch we have quite a few, and have one guy that traps them, other then that no one hunts them, and you hear and see them all the time. Our ranch is in Park Valley. If any of you guys would be interested in going out there, pm me, and ill talk to my brother to make sure its ok, if anyone wanted to go out there and hunt. We usually let anyone go, that asks. Also my dad gets like 20 vouchers every year for doe tags, for a resident of utah you just take the voucher in and pay the normal price for a deer tag, but you can use as many of them as you want until there gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.