Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting the shopping early. I currently have the Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285/70/17 on my dually but i think i'm only going to get 50k out of them. I would like to find a similar size but higher mileage tire in a AT tread pattern

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Id be happy with 50k out of tires. Shoot, by then im ready for something new just because! Lol, but I only average 5000 miles a year. Haha

Hey, do you have any pics of the 285's on your truck? My dad's wanting bigger on his 2010 dually.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree. 50,000 miles on a heavy Cummins powered truck is awesome. You will be hard pressed to find a tire that will last longer on a 17" wheel. There is another option though, 19.5" wheels and tires. With a good set of 19.5" wheels and tires you run the possibility of getting 100,000 miles+.

LT.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id be happy with 50k out of tires. Shoot, by then im ready for something new just because! Lol, but I only average 5000 miles a year. Haha

Hey, do you have any pics of the 285's on your truck? My dad's wanting bigger on his 2010 dually.
guess i might be expecting too much on mileage, here is a pic of the coopers 285/70/17's

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Looks good! You running a spacer in the rear?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Starting the shopping early. I currently have the Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285/70/17 on my dually but i think i'm only going to get 50k out of them. I would like to find a similar size but higher mileage tire in a AT tread pattern

Thanks for any advice
Nitto Dura Grappler. Not an AT, but they have performed great for me.

Reactions: Russ Roth

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nitto Dura Grappler. Not an AT, but they have performed great for me.
I have the Dura Grapplers and was not very happy with them. 29,000 miles on them and they are about done. Rotated often and never had an issue with uneven wear which is great! Very low road noise for the longer road trips but the turbo whistle and exhaust drone would have overpowered a tire humm. They balanced well for a heavy tire. They are weather checked now and it sits in the garage most the time. Tires are about 5 years old.
I guess all and all I can't be too dissapointed with them after thinking about the pros VS cons. :thumbsup:

Nitto Tire Dura Grappler Overview

I might try these,
Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty | Toyo Tires

My brother put the BFG AT/KO's on his Duramax and they are wearing like crap! I would steer clear of those for sure!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have 27,000 miles on my current set of Dura Grapplers and they are showing very little wear(<50%). I have never heard of anyone wearing our Duras in 29,000 miles. I have heard of the Terra Grapplers wearing out quickly.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I have about 25,000 on my Terra Grapplers and they are better than 50% remaining. Theyve worn great. I average about 5000 miles a year on my truck, mostly towing a 15,000# toy hauler during the summer months. I love them. I'm getting the parts around to do a drw swap on my truck, and I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the terra's, but might drop down to 285's. Im not sure how my 305's will fit on the dually wheels.

Skhal, that truck looks great! Send me some more pics! From the front, rear etc! I want to see how much gap you have between the tires, and how far they stick out....

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Toyo at2 has a 50 k warranty and there American made and very nice aggressive looking I absolutely love mine

·
Registered
234 Posts
Skhal, that truck looks great! Send me some more pics! From the front, rear etc! I want to see how much gap you have between the tires, and how far they stick out....
The stock tires lined up with my mud flap. with out the 2in spacer they just barely touched

Heres what it looked like w/out a spacer
Tires look like they're hanging way out, but its just the way the sun is URL=http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/huntersyz03/media/IMG_0697_zpsd9b120d0.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Yes Really
1,029 Posts
I agree. 50,000 miles on a heavy Cummins powered truck is awesome. You will be hard pressed to find a tire that will last longer on a 17" wheel. There is another option though, 19.5" wheels and tires. With a good set of 19.5" wheels and tires you run the possibility of getting 100,000 miles+.

LT.
my dads 06 has the original tires and he is at 82,000 on the michelins. There are plenty of people that get high mileage out of them.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thanks man!

·
Registered
464 Posts
my dads 06 has the original tires and he is at 82,000 on the michelins. There are plenty of people that get high mileage out of them.
That has not been my experience. I have never gotten over 30,000 miles out of a set of stock tires. I also have never gotten over 35,000 miles out of any tires on my duallys. If i ever get 40,000+ out of a set I will be very grateful. My driving is what I would consider normal, no burn outs or anything. But, I do live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico and tow quite a bit.

LT.

·
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,397 Posts
The Toyo AT3's have a 55K mile factory Toyo warranty so long as you keep them rotated per toyo ratings. if they fall below a certain TWI level before then, Toyo will replace them. Im on my second set of AT3's. first pair last me 58k with mixed towing and mountain driving. 65 front and 45 rear when im empty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.