Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cummins StormTrooper
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any dodge diesels going through fan belt constantly and any fixes for it???:S:

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
Mine was eating them like crazy, I tracked it down to one of the idle pulley being wore out

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine eats one about every 10K miles...

Haven't really looked into what causes it... But it always strips just the inside 2 ribs off...

Kinda weird.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bad bearing or misaligned pully will do this. Check with the belt off, any loose or rough turning pully's?

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
:agree2: pretty easy fix

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went through the same thing. About $100 bucks and about 10 min. to solve what is an expensive PITA tearing $35-40 belts every 5k.

The tensioner goes bad and rocks back, allowing the belt to run around the rear of the AC pulley, eventually tearing the edge and v-rib belts peels in strips. Those flinging strips can hurt wiring.

Geno's has a good price as does PEP BOYS for a genuine Dayco part.

Goodyear also makes one.

Here is a thread to read...

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/218965-dayco-belt-tensioner.html

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine was doing so i replaced the tensioner cause it was in bad shape, still did after that, and tracked it down to a bad idler pulley. Didn't have to track too far, the squeling bearings pointed me in the right direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts