Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 3500 Diesel. I am going through a gallon of antifreeze about every 600 miles..but no signs of leak. The oil isn't contaminated, and the exhaust doesn't smell "sweet". I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. THANKS..

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Get it pressure tested and chemical check for exhaust gasses in coolant. Strongly suspect head gasket leaking under load.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can also check the oil level and see if it's above the full mark on the stick.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Sound slike a headgasket also.. it can blow to the outside and leak the anti freeze onto the block...

·
Registered
496 Posts
can he retorque the head bolts.. if it aint leaking to bad.... just under laod...i bet it is on the passenger side rite on the corner of the block and the tranny housen

·
Registered
992 Posts
Check the overflow bottle. They are just plastic and i have had them crack on a few cars.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's highly unlikely in an '01 but you could have a cracked 53 block. that's about how much coolant mine was going through, and it rarely left any puddles on the ground. Usually the only time one of these blocks would leak is before the t-stat opened, and the engine was under a load, making the leak very hard to find.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
There isn't may places for coolant to leak from. You can get a UV dye and add it to the coolant. Then using a black light you can inspect all the fluids and the block for the UV dye.

But most coolant leaks are cause by lack of coolant system flush and coolant changes. The coolant becomes acidic or basic and start to eat at the heater core, radiator, head gaskets, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts