Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally ordered my 2500 QCLB with 3.73 non-anti spin diffs, but because of the strike at American Axle Sytems(or something like that) Dodge didnt have any 3.73's so i was upgraded(and not charged) to Dana 3.92's(apparently) WITH anti spin.

If there's anyone out there thats either had both, had experience with both, or just loves one or the other is there any real difference other than a bunch of b/s computers and will it drastically decrease by burnout effectivness? :peelout lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
mine has a high burnout rating with the 373's lol I didn't know there was a 392 for these trucks. I thought it was 373 or 410 and you could get the anti spin rearend for either gear. I have the anti spin with 373's in mine, at least that's what the window sticker says, and my mileage definitely reflects that type of gearing. From what I remember, the 392's were an option in the hemi trucks. when you got the 20" wheel package that was part of the upgrade, 392 anti spin differential over the I believe 373's that came with the 17" wheel package.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Read your window sticker. VERY unlikely you have a Dana and 3.92's. Those are both things they don't use on CTD trucks. Chrysler stopped using Dana in '03. For ALL there vehicles I believe. If they didn't have any "open" 3.73 axles, they probly gave you 3.73 limited slip axles instead.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know thats why im confused about it... i was given them no extra charge because of the strike because there were no more 373's available... I'll find out tomorrow exactly what i have but the dealer thoguht they might be the danas... if they're the 4.10's i dont care either way hahaha im getting a brand new ctd, diff? what diff? as long as they work right im happy haha

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You might have been given the 4.10's. But I'd put $$$ that they're not Dana's though! Either way you came out ahead it they gave you the limited slip and 4.10's!!!! If you want 3.73's and a open diff I'll gladly trade you......I'll even to the swap!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
The old '97 had the basic differential, and the new '08 has the "anti-spin", and it depends on the day which one I prefer. The anti-spin helps a ton with wet pavement starts, and you can leave the 4x4 knob alone more in the winter, but when you do get the tires to break loose, they both spin, and that means you had better be paying attention. When driving empty on snow or towing a heavy trailer on wet, I would prefer an open differential and use 4x4 more. the rest of the time (majority), these trucks have so much more power than the old 12v, you need that anti-spin or every semi-aggressive take off would be spinning the inside tire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want 3.73's and a open diff I'll gladly trade you......I'll even to the swap!!!!
hahaha it's ok man, I'll pass. Appreciate the offer though:lol3: basically all i was looking for here was some reassurance that I wouldn't be 1 wheel peelin' :woot:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The old '97 had the basic differential, and the new '08 has the "anti-spin", and it depends on the day which one I prefer. The anti-spin helps a ton with wet pavement starts, and you can leave the 4x4 knob alone more in the winter, but when you do get the tires to break loose, they both spin, and that means you had better be paying attention. When driving empty on snow or towing a heavy trailer on wet, I would prefer an open differential and use 4x4 more. the rest of the time (majority), these trucks have so much more power than the old 12v, you need that anti-spin or every semi-aggressive take off would be spinning the inside tire.
Maybe a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway - is the "anti-spin" option an electronically controlled (brake controlled) limited slip or is it mechanical?

Most of the new half tons (where I came from) have brake controlled limited slip, but I was curious about 2500.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Trac-Rite lists several options for rear diffs -

Trac-Rite EL - electronic for open diffs
Trac-Rite GTL - Helical gear with electronic locking
Trac-Rite PC - plate/clutch limited slip
Trac-Rite GT - Helical gear limited slip

American Axle & Manufacturing - Vehicle Architecture

Any idea which one comes in a stock Ram 2500 with the anti-spin diff?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Trac-Rite lists several options for rear diffs -

Trac-Rite EL - electronic for open diffs
Trac-Rite GTL - Helical gear with electronic locking
Trac-Rite PC - plate/clutch limited slip

American Axle & Manufacturing - Vehicle Architecture

Any idea which one comes in a stock Ram 2500 with the anti-spin diff?
There is no locking option for the 11.5 in our trucks. As far as I know no one makes one. The above are for the 10.5 found in the half ton. I replaced my front open with the EL but the only thing you have for the rear is the GT. :CRY:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There is no locking option for the 11.5 in our trucks. As far as I know no one makes one. The above are for the 10.5 found in the half ton. I replaced my front open with the EL but the only thing you have for the rear is the GT. :CRY:
That's why I was wondering what the "anti-spin" option was - the other guy said it was a mechanically-driven TracRite component. But you are saying those parts are for the 10.5".

So does that mean the "anti-spin" option is just a brake-controlled anti-spin setup? The new Tundra uses a brake-controlled anti-spin differential. It's an open diff, but the computer applies brake to the wheel that's slipping and transfers power to the one without. It acts like a limited-slip rear end, even though, technically, it's an open differential.

I'm just trying to figure out if the anti-spin is electronic or mechanical.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
That's why I was wondering what the "anti-spin" option was - the other guy said it was a mechanically-driven TracRite component. But you are saying those parts are for the 10.5".

So does that mean the "anti-spin" option is just a brake-controlled anti-spin setup? The new Tundra uses a brake-controlled anti-spin differential. It's an open diff, but the computer applies brake to the wheel that's slipping and transfers power to the one without. It acts like a limited-slip rear end, even though, technically, it's an open differential.

I'm just trying to figure out if the anti-spin is electronic or mechanical.
Sorry the OEM anti-spin is mechanical. It is the same one as:

Also known as a Torsen etc..

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The anit-slip in these trucks are all gear, no clutch packs

·
Registered
383 Posts
yeah and if one is spinning faster than the other one when power is applied ZING off it goes and the slower one stops. but if they are both stopped or both travelling same speed when the power comes on and traction is lost, they are basically locked up like a detroit locker as far as i am concerned!
drop the clutch 3200 rpm in third gear and she lays two 12.5" black strips 80 ft long perfectly symmetrical. i had all 4 tires smoking pulling a buddy through the mud this weekend, its so awesome to turn the mud black with your exhaust!

·
Registered
343 Posts
yeah and if one is spinning faster than the other one when power is applied ZING off it goes and the slower one stops. but if they are both stopped or both travelling same speed when the power comes on and traction is lost, they are basically locked up like a detroit locker as far as i am concerned!
drop the clutch 3200 rpm in third gear and she lays two 12.5" black strips 80 ft long perfectly symmetrical. i had all 4 tires smoking pulling a buddy through the mud this weekend, its so awesome to turn the mud black with your exhaust!
This Thread Is Useless WithOut Pics ........... LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts