Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Anti-gel

14K views 62 replies 19 participants last post by  Kilowatt 
#1 ·
I'm not new to the diesel world, however I'm new to it in an area that gets 20-30 below, with no problem. I've done some research and found that there are a million different additives that all claim to be the best. From what you guys have used, what is the best option, in your opinion, for anti-gel additives to keep your fuel flowing?

#55 ·
Can't say that I know what we normally get around here.

What I do know is that we often have 50-degree temperature swings in a day, and no matter what direction I go I'm losing altitude. Anywhere from just a few thousand to much more (starting at 7,500) if I drive more than 75 miles.

Of course, I can gain over 3,000 feet within 20 miles, too, but there are no gas stations there.

In other words, it must be easier said than done to decide what fuel to send to this 'hood. Sometimes it drops to -20, sometimes not.
Maybe now you understand why I use anti-gel (usually Howes) in the winter, no matter what.

#56 ·
Actually it's fairly easy to decide what to send to your hood. Look at a temperature trend for the last 20 years in your area. Find the lowest recorded temperature and blend to a temperature 5-10° below that temp. Altitude has little effect, jet fuel is really just light diesel with much more stringent testing/certification etc.

For what it's worth, I have never seen a load returned to the refinery due to not meeting temperature specs, the problems can almost always be traced back to storage/transportation/retain issues. I have however seen diesel returned because it was blended with gasoline but that's a story for another day...

_

#58 ·
Actually it's fairly easy to decide what to send to your hood. Look at a temperature trend for the last 20 years in your area. Find the lowest recorded temperature and blend to a temperature 5-10° below that temp.

Altitude has little effect, jet fuel is really just light diesel with much more stringent testing/certification etc.
If I only bought fuel nearby, yes it would be simpler. What I was trying to say is that the climate can change quite a bit within an hour or two of driving from here.
Getting fuel on the way home, in the fall or winter, 500 miles away is most likely not blended for here. And I don't expect it to be.

My reason for bringing up altitude was simply because it affects temperature. I can gain 20-35 degrees by driving SSW for an hour. And I often get fuel there.

#57 ·
Since your the expert kilowatt and you know exactly how fuel is blended for winter, I'm still trying to figure out how it's terrible advice to state that, in general, one does not need to add off the shelf anti gel additives in the winter.
Are the millions of diesel engines that start up every day in colder climates without a bottle of Power Service dumped in just miracles, or what?

Unlike you, I don't know schitt about oil refining, but I've operated, managed or been around 1000s maybe 10000s of diesel engines in construction, many in the winter and it's not the case that adding anti gel is necessary in most cases. Even for winter work up on the N Slope AK, fuel came ready for use, because it was blended, specially produced, additive packages added, whatever was done to it, to work right outta the tanker truck.
That's all I'm saying. I do not doubt your knowledge in your profession.

#59 ·
Because that's a blanket statement, every region or even gas station could be different from the one you use. You are basing your opinion on past experience but in reality you have no guarantee that what you are buying hasn't been blended with off spec products. If you haven't had any problems buying fuel that's great, but it shouldn't be preached out to the other millions of diesel drivers. A lot of members here run tighter filtration on their truck, that should be considered when deciding whether or not to use additives.

As I said, I made it 15 years not using additives with my truck, last winter it froze up. I know for a fact the diesel I bought was on spec when it left the refinery, I can see the records here for the station I fill up at. However, somewhere along the line it was diluted.

I'm in no way saying you MUST use additives, I'm only saying it's bad advice to tell people NOT to use them. When I said crap shoot, it really is because there is no control over the fuel once it leaves the refinery. You have been lucky, I have not.

Use additives at your discretion.

_

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.