Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to adjust my new TV cable. I’ve read a lot of how to’s and tech tips. But my truck doesn’t shift correctly if I don’t have a decent amount of tension on the throttle valve. If I line up the cable with the post on the engine bracket I will be in third gear at 15 mph. The more I move the cable back the more normal it shifts. With the cable adjusted like this I have to actually pull the cable forward to hook it up. And the TV lever moves at the transmission a decent amount. Will this hurt anything? When I’m at full throttle the TV lever moves all the way to the rear too. Any downside to this running my trans like this?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
No it's not going to hurt anything if you want higher shift points you have to modify the valve body. My truck shifts out of first gear around 15mph under normal driving around 25 to 30mph when it goes into 3rd and 50mph into lockup

·
Registered
211 Posts
When the TV is adjusted properly the lever should be just before full aft when you are full throttle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a full BD trans with only 2000 miles on it. If I adjust the TV cable like suggested it shifts way too early and won’t downshift when you’re on the throttle like it should. The more I adjust the the cable rearward (lengthen it) the better it shifts. I’m just worried about pulling the lever too far rearward at full throttle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a full BD trans with only 2000 miles on it. If I adjust the TV cable like suggested it shifts way too early and won’t downshift when you’re on the throttle like it should. The more I adjust the the cable rearward (lengthen it) the better it shifts. I’m just worried about pulling the lever too far rearward at full throttle.
At Full Throttle the lever should be just slightly before full aft. If your trans is shifting not like it is suppose to set like that then you may have VB issues. And yes you can mess that lever up if you are trying to make it go past its operating range. How you adjust it is loosen the clip, then have someone take and push down on the gas pedal to full throttle. Then you make the cable pull the lever on the trans just slightly before it hits its stop full aft. You can feel the lever stop at full aft if you rotate it by hand easy. Then lock down the cable and have the person let off the throttle. Then test it before you drive it. have the person slowly push the throttle down and watch the lever. If it sits just before full aft you are in correct adjustment. You can adjust it hit full aft if you want to but that all depends on how hard you like it to shift. There is a little wiggle room in that adjustment. But like 1/8th inch before full aft is suppose to be the perfect factory adjustment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I adjust it like that my trans shifts way too early and I’m in third gear at 15-18 mph at part throttle. I disconnected the cable and tied the lever back on the trans 3/4 of the way. It shifted awesome and at the correct speeds. I only tried part throttle but it was just how it’s supposed to shift. I might try this tomorrow. Need to grab a filter and fluid. I have two days before I make a 250 mile trip to the sand dunes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you haven't put a pressure gauge on your new trans to see what your line pressures are you are deff in the wrong boat. I would adjust the TV cable like we have said. Then call BD and ask what the line pressure is supposed to be. Then put a pressure gauge on the trans and see what it is. I would not willy nilly adjust my trans pressures if you have no clue what they are now.

Honestly if BD didnt tell you to hook a pressure gauge up on your first drive on the trans that is there bad. Any new trans this should be done. to high or low of pressure can mess your transmission up prematurely.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are careful and the trans fluid and filter are new. You can reuse them. just support the pan with a jack and undo all the screws and slowly lower the jack. only thing you will need is a new pan gasket or some good RTV if you choose to seal it that way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you haven't put a pressure gauge on your new trans to see what your line pressures are you are deff in the wrong boat. I would adjust the TV cable like we have said. Then call BD and ask what the line pressure is supposed to be. Then put a pressure gauge on the trans and see what it is. I would not willy nilly adjust my trans pressures if you have no clue what they are now.

Honestly if BD didnt tell you to hook a pressure gauge up on your first drive on the trans that is there bad. Any new trans this should be done. to high or low of pressure can mess your transmission up prematurely.
you’re right it does say that in the instructions as a double check. But they dyno test all of these. They claim they drop the pan and adjust and double check everything. But yea I need to double check the pressures. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
NP. Just trying to help you out. I hope your pressures are messed up and its an easy fix for you

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hooked up a gauge and ran it into the cab, and with my wife’s help, I recorded some #’s. 95 psi in drive at idle. And 175 psi at WOT. Right in line with BD’s specs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone adjusted the throttle pressure screw from that earlier picture I posted? Or know of another way to adjust the starting point of the TV lever on the trans? Because I unhooked they TV cable and tied the TV lever back around 3/4 of the way and it shifted awesome. Right at the speeds I like for part throttle driving. Kicks down from 3-2 more easily too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering if anyone has some helpful hints about adjusting the throttle pressure screw? Or if the TV lever starting point can be adjusted?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts