Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how weak are the 3rd gen auto trannys? im looking at buying a 05 dually with an auto and was wondering how they hold up while towing? im not planing on pumping it up now just good exaust and intake but later down the road i would like to get some more power out of it. any info would be great thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
A lot of people still say the Dodge tranny isn't that good. I think they can't forget the problems they had in the past with the 47 series trans. Knock on wood I haven't had any trouble with mine and I'm at 40K. Driving style is everything to the life of the trans. so if your not throwing a ton of HP/TQ at it and thrashing it on a dialy basis like a lot of the failed ones are I think it's a decent trans. Dodge claims it will handle up 770 lb.ft. of TQ the ATRA claims it will handle up to 800.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya the truck im going to look at has 113k on it. i have a 97 now that has the 47re in it and its starting to give me issues but its not stock either. the wieght im going to be hauling around is my camper which is around 3k and a trailer with a modified tractor on it which rough guess is probly about another 8 to 10k but i dont want to buy this truck and have the auto take a crap on me right after getting it ya know?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya thats why i hate buying used cars. i now a buddy of mine had a 06 and he had a smarty in it and never seemed to have a problem, not sure how heavy my foot is really, i do jump on it but im not full throttle off every light and jamming every were either.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah I know what ya mean, buying used you never know how the truck was treated by the previous owner. Does the truck have any mods on it now and how old is the owner, not to be biased but I had a tendency to run things a little harder in my younger days. I also tow an 8000 lb. TT six or seven times a year usually into the mountains of NC and the truck has performed well even up Fancy Gap which I think is a 7% grade for about 6mi. I was passing cars all the way up. I also had a 97 gasser with a few mods. and had about 100k on it with no trans. problems til my daughter got t-boned and totaled it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
48re tranny

I have 102k on my 05 truck just had the tranny transfer case and 2x differentals oil changed . I watched the garage do the work.
Transmission shop ( Mister transmission) Technician said this is a good tranny. I tow a 13000lb trailer all the time ,only once overheated the tranny on some very Hot and rough towing. I am very happy with the condition of the tranny No Shavings in the sump no slipping.
Dodge Stealership quoted $850.00 for the Service, Mr Transmission did it for $450.
2005 5.9 turbo, Quadzilla chip,Espair Heater, Kelderman Air ride, I Love My Dodge

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
honestly im going to go look at it tomorrow, the story i got was the owner of the truck owned a construction company that the truck was not used for( i know i know) he lost the business and the guy that has it now the original owner owed money to so he took the truck in trade and said he would take about 17.5k for it. my buddy that told me about it said the truck looks brand new he actually thought it was till he saw the year. is in really good condition according to him. i was also going to go look as some stealer ships to see what they will give me for my 97

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good luck, keep us posted if you buy..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts