Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm glad to hear you guys have the reverse lights and clutch safety switch figured out.

Any of you have an electronic transfer case that will shift into Low Range after the Auto to Manual swap? My brother and I swapped transmissions on our 2006 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 3500's and neither will shift into Low Range. I'm guessing TIPM since we swapped all wiring harnesses and flashed the computers with the help of Smarty. Any ideas?
Sorry bud. Can't help you there. I switched to manual tcase as well. I wanted to be free of all the electronics

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm glad to hear you guys have the reverse lights and clutch safety switch figured out.

Any of you have an electronic transfer case that will shift into Low Range after the Auto to Manual swap? My brother and I swapped transmissions on our 2006 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 3500's and neither will shift into Low Range. I'm guessing TIPM since we swapped all wiring harnesses and flashed the computers with the help of Smarty. Any ideas?
I'm in the same boat as Champy -- my truck was and still is a manual T-case.

Hopefully someone else can chime in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling this is TIPM related but both trucks have the exact same symptoms. High Range works but Low Range just blinks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I have the same Grin on my face after my drive home. NV5600 drives awesome. I loaded the smarty when I got home and lost all throttle. Will contact smarty today. Other than that all is good. Had to make a custom plate for the rear mount. Super easy. If any one has any suggestions about smarty please let me know.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Subscribed...Planning to do this after Christmas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch pedal

Looking at taking on the same swap in my 04 2500 I know its an older thread but the clutch pedal part of the install can you explain a little more about it I don't know if I missed something in your video about the mechanics behind the pedal install

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looking at taking on the same swap in my 04 2500 I know its an older thread but the clutch pedal part of the install can you explain a little more about it I don't know if I missed something in your video about the mechanics behind the pedal install
Clutch pedal install is very simple, just need the pedal and pin (junkyard or new from Dodge). The hole is already there in the "pedal box". Buy some clutch hydros (south bend, valair) and you're good to go. Installing the clutch pedal in an automatic truck literally takes 5 minutes :) Buy the smaller foot pad brake pedal while you're at it so it looks factory :thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey there I also want to do the 48re to g56 swap in the future and want to know how long does it take for An experienced Mechanic to do the swap also why do ppl having trouble with the reverse light if dodge designed those truck to have to make those conversions

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 2500 5.9l Crew Cab Laramie 48 re 4x4 with 5"Flo Pro Turbo back exhaust Afe Air Intake and Smarty S06 Chip and Triple Pod Autometer Gauges

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey there I also want to do the 48re to g56 swap in the future and want to know how long does it take for An experienced Mechanic to do the swap also why do ppl having trouble with the reverse light if dodge designed those truck to have to make those conversions
Reverse light conversion is easy, it's the flat 4 or 5 pin connector to the old 48re (the other plugs are round). Both the correct "reverse lamp" fused hot lead are there and the wire to the reverse lights. Just connect both wires to the reverse switch on the top/back of the G56 and you're good to go. Correct fuse and all :thumbsup: Turn the key on and it's the only hot lead on that plug. My memory says the wire to the reverse lights is white with green tracer (on my '05) but check that by pulling a tail light and verifying for yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The clutch pedal is probably the easiest part, really.

The Dodge pedal hanger is the same in the automatic as in the manual, so even the auto trucks have the spot to hang the pedal. (See attachments - and note that 2 of them aren't actual dodge diagrams, but get the point across)

They're hung by a approx. 1/2" diameter metal pin that has bushings to allow movement.

And the action of pressing the pedal moves an "arm" that passes through the firewall to a hydraulic master cylinder that moves hydraulic fluid to the slave cylinder to actuate the clutch release fork.

In my video it was really hard to get any good point of reference, but hopefully the photos I've attached help explain it better.

Additionally: You really should take a peek at this thread, as the 03 - 04.5 is a different animal in and around the accelerator pedal position sensor (APPS). In these trucks it's a cable-driven thing under the hood, and in the 05+ it's drive-by-wire on the pedal.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/1145218-2004-5-48re-g56-swap-pictures.html

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I got a quote from a reputable mechanic shop to do it including parts for right about $10,000. Needless to say, I tackled the project myself.

You'll just have to ask around and see what you can find in your area. I would imagine that if you have a mechanic buddy help it could be done weekend if you had all the parts ready to go at the time you start.

The only reason for any trouble around the reverse lights is that the auto trucks have a slightly different engine/trans wiring harness than the manual trucks, and the trans harness for the auto doesn't have the right connector for the reverse light switch on the G56. It's not that it's hard, is just that there wasn't (at least at the time of my swap) much information as to which wires on the auto harness need to be tapped into to adapt the 6 speed reverse light switch into it. Now that I have that knowledge, the only reason I don't have it done yet is pure, unadulterated laziness. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just watched your video and I must applaud you loudly sir. I've got an 06 mega cab dually with 5.9 cummins and 48RE and I wished I would have gotten a stick when I bought it new. Very good job and it looks like a ton of work!

·
Registered
115 Posts
MTMike you're my hero haha i'm 20 and a college kid with 2006 Cummins 4x4 and I want to do this someday, but since I am in college I have no money right now haha. My grandpa had an 03 cummins manual and he taught me how to drive stick when I was 12 and now thanks to you I can go back to those days :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Awesome write up bro. Gonna do mine when I find a donor truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A while back i swapped in an nv4500 into my 06 mega cab and my truck had the 48re with the auto locking tcase actuator ... ever since i did the swap i have not been able to lock the tcase into low... mainly cause its not telling the computer its in neutral.. has anyone had luck with finding this neutral signal to actually let the tcase lock into low?

·
Registered
244 Posts
A while back i swapped in an nv4500 into my 06 mega cab and my truck had the 48re with the auto locking tcase actuator ... ever since i did the swap i have not been able to lock the tcase into low... mainly cause its not telling the computer its in neutral.. has anyone had luck with finding this neutral signal to actually let the tcase lock into low?
My testing showed its the Transmission Range Sensor that tells the system its in Neutral or not. I havent tried but you may be able jump wires in the TRS plug to make it think its in N, or my next plan is to remove the TRS from the trans and leave it plugged in and under the truck somewere, and adjust it to the N position.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This was an awesome write up and helped out a bunch with information for my future swap!

·
Registered
4 Posts
44newman, any idea what position indicates neutral? Or does park also work? And would park just be all the way out, the resting position? If so has anyone duplicated the resistance so we don't have to leave the whole sensor under the truck?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question I hope you can answer. I just got all the mechanical done on my 2004.4 from auto to 6 speed. On the Smarty Jr did you have to buy a software update for the Smarty Jr to reflash auto to manual transmission.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts