Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just got the MP-8 installed and took it for a cruise. I happened to walk by the tailpipe and noticed soot at the tailpipe. I thought all the fancy stuff upstream in the exhaust is supposed to eliminate this. Has anyone else noticed this? Just curious. This is a great mod and it gives great performance. Haven't had a chance to check mileage yet because we had 50-60 mph winds yesterday.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Where on the south plains are you at.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
With the DPF on you should have no soot. If you do you may have a damaged DPF. Dealership will replace it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm up here in Colorado and so far today it's not windy. It was blowin my truck all over the road yesterday it sucked. Damn I don't want to take the MP-8 off for dpf replacement that fuel rail connector is a sum beotch. I didn't pay close attention but I'm pretty sure there was no soot on the tailpipe before the MP-8.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
yeah there shouldn't be any soot. I have had the mp8 on my truck for almost 3 weeks and no soot on the tail pipe.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When you say no soot, do you mean none at all? The inside of my tail pipe is black, but there's no soot on my bumper or anything. Will a cracked DPF throw a code?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
When you say no soot, do you mean none at all? The inside of my tail pipe is black, but there's no soot on my bumper or anything. Will a cracked DPF throw a code?
I havent seen anyone post about codes with a cracked DPF. Just smoke.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
if you are running the mp8 turned all the way up and hammer on it you will get soot, in your tail pipe the dpf and emmissions stuff only keep clean if you are running a stock truck, you can still make them dump the smoke with the stock exhaust still on with after market products, I would not worry at all with soot in there

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm completely stock...but my tailpipe is very black. Makes me wonder if my DPF is cracked.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I have 37000 miles and mine is black.

·
Registered
39 Posts
had mine on for a couple weeks, finally got the catalyst stat 90% the past 2 days. went away and came back next day, drove to work and it went off again.
Have any of you had this happen more with MP8?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, DPF full will come on more with mp-8!

I took my truck down to florida for a two week trip towing a flat-bed/car. When I had the mp-8 turned al the way up, after 3-4hrs of 75mph it would kick on a soft code (DPF full). About two hours later I would get the DPF 90% full. Under load the truck cannot regen with the mp-8. Dpf fills up, and codes starrt popping. I slowed down for an hour to 58mph and that let it regen. Next day I turned off the mp-8 and withinn a day or so the codes cleared again. That is my experience, Scott

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My truck had soot in the tailpipe even while it was stock, if you do a good bit of slow driving, and then you happen to get on it pretty good you can puff some smoke with a stock truck, it builds up when you are in traffic or whatever, then when you open it up you blow some of that build up out the tailpipe before it can be burnt off, if you arent getting any codes, or cat full messages i wouldnt bother.. My truck ran fine with a sooty tailpipe.. But now all of that is sitting in the garage and it runs much better...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have 27000 miles on my truck and put the MBRP on a couple weeks after I got the truck. I have people make fun of me because the inside of the tips looks brand new, no black, no dirt, and can still see the lines from manufacturing it inside, and that is with running the edge on 3 and the MP-8 all the way up. My overhead has never said anything other than "system OK", but my regen kicks on at least 3 or 4 times a day. I've been luck getting 15MPG with the regen kicking on that much. Anxiously awaiting my 5" TBE this week.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like mixed reviews of the soot. I think I'll leave it alone for now. How the heck do you tell when these things regen? I've heard with the Edge you can tell but how about a stock truck.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It's hard to tell on a stock truck. You can set your overhead display to show your mileage. When it plummets you are in regen:lol3:

·
Registered
69 Posts
i just put my mp8 on this afternoon and WOW..what a difference..im just kind of a weekend mechanic so it was just a little difficult..that plug in the back was a sunovab*t**..before i installed it i looked over some of the other forums and saw ppl were havin trouble with the plug so i was watchin for it..Thanks again to K2dieselperformance..now its the dpf delete!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts