Discussion Starter #1
My mods:
S&B intake
Eagle Eye 4” exhaust with full 4” adapter at turbo
CFM horn
Edge Attitude w/Juice
19.5 Rickson wheels w/Goodyear G647’s.

My driving situation:
Town still is mostly highway – a 15 mile trip over a 500 ft summit at 55 mph for most of the trip with maybe 10 total miles of actual in town driving each day.
Highway means Interstate at 80 MPH.
Empty means empty bed and no load being hauled.
Loading is anything from pulling a 20’ flatbed with maybe 2000 lbs. to a 5000 lb camper plus 3000 lb trailer.

My testing:
I took mileage readings for town and highway at all Edge settings at all loadings for 6 months.

Before mods:
14mpg empty average - town or highway .
11 mpg under very heavy loads – always at highway speeds.
In between mpg for in between loads.

After mods:
18 mpg empty for both town and highway (a little less for highway) when set on 1.
1 mpg loss for every number I increased The Edge when empty.
11 mpg under very heavy loads and it didn’t make a whole lot of difference what setting I was at on the Edge.

My Conclusions:
I go for mileage so I run on “one” almost all the time unless I am doing heavy hauling in which case I run on 4 since it seems to make little difference what setting you use when heavy loaded. "One" on the Edge is plenty when your unloaded unless of course your not 60+ years old like me. If your 25 I advise ignoring mpg, running at 6 with the hot unlock and about 10 more major mods :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a PM from someone noting that the increases I had in mileage might not justify the costs. I believe when you run the numbers you can see that the return on investment here should be entirely within anyone’s expectations.

Going from 14 mpg to 18 mpg is almost a 30% gain in mileage. I drive 20,000 miles a year and diesel is around $2.20 per gallon here. Crunching a few numbers tells me I am spending $2,444 now instead of the $3,150 I would have spent before. Even with the current cheap fuel that is a savings of around $700 per year. I paid a total of $1,800 for all my engine mods. That means I have recouped my investment in 2 ½ years. That’s a 40% rate of return (you can probably tell I am an engineer). Sounds good to me. Name an investment paying 40% these days. And that is with diesel at well under half of what it was just a few months back. As diesel prices continue to rise the payoff is even more substantial.

Another way to accelerate this is to shop around for the best prices for what you change out on your truck. As an example, I paid $350 for a factory refurbished (sealed in the box with new pyrometer, all hardware and 90 day factory warranty) Edge Juice Attitude on Ebay.

Bottom line: Besides being fun and handy when you really do need the extra power, these basic mods are a money saver too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
thank you once again for the info. The edge I am considering is 3 yrs old was on the truck I now own but the previous owner cooked the engine and traded it in. The dealer overhauled the engine and removed the edge. They are offering it to me for $350 so I guess it might be werth the investment if nothing else I would like having the guages. Does it monitor boost also? I do want taller tires someday to lower my rpm's and help my mpg also. I am just worried about hurting the engine again like previous owner did. Thanks again good info

·
Registered
124 Posts
That’s a 40% rate of return (you can probably tell I am an engineer). Sounds good to me. Name an investment paying 40% these days. And that is with diesel at well under half of what it was just a few months back. As diesel prices continue to rise the payoff is even more substantial.

Another way to accelerate this is to shop around for the best prices for what you change out on your truck. As an example, I paid $350 for a factory refurbished (sealed in the box with new pyrometer, all hardware and 90 day factory warranty) Edge Juice Attitude on Ebay.

Bottom line: Besides being fun and handy when you really do need the extra power, these basic mods are a money saver too.

LOL thats exactly what i though when i read that. I have the same way of thinking. Great post.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 19.5's are great. Run smooth and quiet and have a ridiculous load carrying capacity (load range G). They also are great on payback as my research shows they are good for at least 100k miles, they cost not much more than the 17's I had on before and they have very low rolling resistance (they are very hard). Totally suck for any use but highway though. If you are not familiar with these tires they are basically semi-tractor tires - full steel sidewalls and all. You have to go to the 19.5's to get them though and the wheels are about $2000 a set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts