Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 3500 HO 4x4 SRW CCLB
748 Posts
They were E-rated tires but I'm not sure what "new compound for HD trucks" might be.

The last set I bought was July 2016.
I would add they had 20K on them when I sold the truck and they were just about trash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got to the position where I can order the truck I've always wanted. Air Force, set to retire next year!!!

Lots of waiting and research and finally ordered today.

Wanted to find one on a lot somewhere but everything I could find didn't have the configuration I wanted...so I ordered her

Went back and forth about white or granite crystal, and landed on the granite with the night edition.

Super excited to get a mega cab. I'm 6'8" and my kids are tall as well, so makes sense.

I have a 16 Hemi and love it, but starting to tow quite a bit more and it doesn't do well in the hills and canyons of Utah.

We regularly pull a boat and snowmobile trailer so the Cummins should be a fantastic upgrade, especially with the ram air system.

How bad are the stock tires?

Build sheet below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fellow Utahn and MegaCab owner here. I almost got stuck in a little bit of snow with the Firestones so I took them off at about 100 miles and put some good tires on it. Local tire shop gave me $100 each for them and a great deal on the new tires. Good luck with the new truck. It looks like it will be a great one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good to know thanks. My local big o tires takes care of me so I’ll ask them when I get a ship date

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finally got to the position where I can order the truck I've always wanted. Air Force, set to retire next year!!!

Lots of waiting and research and finally ordered today.

Wanted to find one on a lot somewhere but everything I could find didn't have the configuration I wanted...so I ordered her

Went back and forth about white or granite crystal, and landed on the granite with the night edition.

Super excited to get a mega cab. I'm 6'8" and my kids are tall as well, so makes sense.

I have a 16 Hemi and love it, but starting to tow quite a bit more and it doesn't do well in the hills and canyons of Utah.

We regularly pull a boat and snowmobile trailer so the Cummins should be a fantastic upgrade, especially with the ram air system.

How bad are the stock tires?

Build sheet below

I attempted to order a 2022 2500 Laramie with Level D package yesterday and was told the Night Edition is in restriction and could not be ordered at this time. This is in Idaho. I wonder if it's a region thing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I attempted to order a 2022 2500 Laramie with Level D package yesterday and was told the Night Edition is in restriction and could not be ordered at this time. This is in Idaho. I wonder if it's a region thing.
What I've seen, it is not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems like a good build, its surprisingly hard to find these trucks with the air level on them. Most dealers try to sell people aftermarket add ons and make more money then the factory set up costs.
I'm not sure why dealers don't add the air level but I assume it's because the cost. I can install airlift bags with wireless control air compressor for under 1k in parts, and the install is pretty straight forward so I can do it myself, even if I were paying a shop I should be less than the price of the factory system.

Additionally, the Ram air ride kit replaces the coil springs, where aftermarket air bags add secondary helper bags further towards the outside. These coil spring trucks ride great but the coils being set in is also a downside in you get less towing stability, but aftermarket bags can help with that stability more-so than factory air.

So I think it's kinda a compound thing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm not sure why dealers don't add the air level but I assume it's because the cost. I can install airlift bags with wireless control air compressor for under 1k in parts, and the install is pretty straight forward so I can do it myself, even if I were paying a shop I should be less than the price of the factory system.

Additionally, the Ram air ride kit replaces the coil springs, where aftermarket air bags add secondary helper bags further towards the outside. These coil spring trucks ride great but the coils being set in is also a downside in you get less towing stability, but aftermarket bags can help with that stability more-so than factory air.

So I think it's kinda a compound thing.
On the 3500, the bags are supplemental to the leaf springs, the air trucks ride better (one less leaf), but the system reduces payload.

Reactions: UglyViking

·
Registered
206 Posts
On the 3500, the bags are supplemental to the leaf springs, the air trucks ride better (one less leaf), but the system reduces payload.
Agreed, I was specifically noting about the 2500 since that is what the OP has on order and that was the discussion.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I was at my local Costco getting tires rotated because I was to lazy to do it myself. And in my conversation with the manager he said they have a new set of KO2’s for HD trucks since the HD’s eat KO2’s alive. They even have a 50 k mileage warranty. I asked if he was sure and said yep they have two different sku he gave me a manufacture number 29598. Maybe he was just blowing smoke.
You're correct - when I was looking for tires in late 2019 they had just hit the dealers - there are two different KO2 sku's and one made specifically for HD trucks so they no longer "eat KO2's" unless you put the wrong ones on

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
I'm going to have to rememebr that, i always liked my KO2s on previous vehicles Quiet and had great traction.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm going to have to rememebr that, i always liked my KO2s on previous vehicles Quiet and had great traction.
After running the Falken A/T3W I can't see ever going back to KO2's.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
right now i'm running some Yokohama X-ATs that i honestly don't have any complaints about, they've handled everything just fine in my book, who knows, it has been at least 7 or 8 years since i've ran KO2s i think, so who knows, but i know i'll be price checking when the time comes

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm running the Falkens right now, in 37x17. I'm sort of "eh" about them as of this moment. They have been seriously challenging to balance out, and while they aren't terrible they still aren't balanced like I wish they were, and like other tires have been.

I think they are sort of "meh" performance in the dirt, mud and rocks, although they do an admirable job when aired down. I guess that is what you get for an AT. They are quiet, which is nice.

The one area I'm beyond impressed has been their snow performance. I don't think I've ever had a tire that has done as well in the snow in new england.

I am toying with giving the Ko2 in 39 a shot, just to try it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Snow performance is huge for me, thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm running the Falkens right now, in 37x17. I'm sort of "eh" about them as of this moment. They have been seriously challenging to balance out, and while they aren't terrible they still aren't balanced like I wish they were, and like other tires have been.

I think they are sort of "meh" performance in the dirt, mud and rocks, although they do an admirable job when aired down. I guess that is what you get for an AT. They are quiet, which is nice.

The one area I'm beyond impressed has been their snow performance. I don't think I've ever had a tire that has done as well in the snow in new england.

I am toying with giving the Ko2 in 39 a shot, just to try it out.
Fair points.

Running "almost" 35's @285/65R20. For me it was towing and Colorado snow and ice as the primary needs. Off road secondary - which usually just means fire lanes dry/mud/snow when hunting. Not doing much wheeling with the 3500 tow machine.

Reactions: UglyViking

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fair points.

Running "almost" 35's @285/65R20. For me it was towing and Colorado snow and ice as the primary needs. Off road secondary - which usually just means fire lanes dry/mud/snow when hunting. Not doing much wheeling with the 3500 tow machine.
I mean totally understandable. I think the Falkens are a good all around tire, especially if you do little/no off road or very infrequent. I'd imagine/hope that at smaller sizes they are easier to balance out as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I mean totally understandable. I think the Falkens are a good all around tire, especially if you do little/no off road or very infrequent. I'd imagine/hope that at smaller sizes they are easier to balance out as well.
Last time they rotated, they mentioned it took them a little longer to balance one of them.

I did have a wicked rear end vibration towing, of all things, my little 2-place ATV trailer with one mid size ATV with as much weight on the tongue as I could get. Acted the same when I had an ATV in the bed and pulling my buddies small single place ATV trailer. Never any issue towing the 5th with or without the boat in tag. Weird. Haven't had a chance to check it again since the rotation. Could be wind buffeting I suppose?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Fair points.

Those are 34's at best unless you're running them at 80psi and they're brand new.

295/65R20 is 35.1 at 80PSI new. More like 34.5's

·
Registered
748 Posts
Those are 34's at best unless you're running them at 80psi and they're brand new.

295/65R20 is 35.1 at 80PSI new. More like 34.5's
They're taller at elevation here.

Less external air pressure you know.

Are you that Adam ruins everything guy I've seen on TV?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts