Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while driving at normal operating tempature i noticed a drop in performance. i then changed the fuel filter. upon close inspection of the bottom of the filter housing i found peices of rubber. yes i am still running the stock LP. i am guessing here that the stock LP is a rubber diaphram pump and my be comming apart. i have installed a fuel guage. Key on engine off, the LP pumps up to 12 PSI then backs off to Zero very fast. Key on engine on at idle the LP is at 9PSI. at an even slow ecleration to 2000 rpm the PSI will drop to 5 PSI. at WOT 3000 RPM it drops to 1 PSI. can any one tell me if this is normal. i have been considering changing my lift pump to a Raptor 100 GPH to solve this problem. can anyone advise more on this subject before i drop the $$$$ i will also take advantage of the great prices on the edge w/juice.

thanks in advance

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Yes you need a new LP. Dont drive it anymore until you get one or you run the risk of further damaging or destoying your injector pump. You want to see no less than 10 psi at wide open throttle. You can still get an Airdog for $499 from several of our sponsors and they will be able to beat almost any price on an edge juice with attitude or most any other box or programmer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is a prime example for the need of a fuel gauge. Hopefully there is no damage to the IP. I was talking with a guy at the store who stopped me and asked what my fuel pressures were at idle & WOT. I'm never below 12. He was consistently below 9. I believe he parked his truck and had someone pick him up and had it towed home!

Fuel gauge is a must.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i think this is whats wrong with mine good luck bro

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
while driving at normal operating tempature i noticed a drop in performance. i then changed the fuel filter. upon close inspection of the bottom of the filter housing i found peices of rubber. yes i am still running the stock LP. i am guessing here that the stock LP is a rubber diaphram pump and my be comming apart. i have installed a fuel guage. Key on engine off, the LP pumps up to 12 PSI then backs off to Zero very fast. Key on engine on at idle the LP is at 9PSI. at an even slow ecleration to 2000 rpm the PSI will drop to 5 PSI. at WOT 3000 RPM it drops to 1 PSI. can any one tell me if this is normal. i have been considering changing my lift pump to a Raptor 100 GPH to solve this problem. can anyone advise more on this subject before i drop the $$$$ i will also take advantage of the great prices on the edge w/juice.

thanks in advance
No... It's not normal and you pressure should NEVER fall below 10 PSI...

Here is good normal pressure...
YouTube - Stable fuel pressure - AirDog 150

1 - 5 of 5 Posts