Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new here but I have been reading around especially carhartted's swap. I was wondering when you do the swap do you buy new a new fuel tank and lines or how do I go about that? I've been thinking of doing this swap and want to know what I'm missing. I will buy the engine, torque convertor adapter plate to match to the C6,and buy the engine mounting kit. What else am I missing? It will be the early 12valve so its all mechanical so I wont need to do any computer work right? And what are your thoughts on using the C6 tranny? :confused013: Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
First of all, Great choice on doing a cummins swap:thumbsup:

Whats your truck, year, 3/4, 1 ton, 2x4, 4x4?

As for the fuel tank, i'm sure you'll have 10 guys tell you 10 different things.
It is been an on going issue for years, steal, plastic, coated, galvinized etc.....

No, theres no computer to worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. And its a 1978 F250. Will the C6 be able to handle to cummins or will I have to beef it up some? I plan on doing some engine mods to the cummins overtime so I am just concerned about the C6. Also what gears should I be runnin? 4.10? 3.73? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
123 Posts
With that year truck it would be very easy swap to a standard shift tranny. For the price to beef up the C-6 you probably would be father ahead to switch to a manual, especially if you plan on doing engine up-grades.

The gears depend on tire size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be easier to start with a ford manual already in? How about swapping in a NV4500 I had thought about it but thought it would be too hard for me to do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you can do a engine swap, you can do a manual swap. That body style ford would be very easy. Even if you keep the C6 you'll have to move it around in the truck. The nv4500 or a zf5 would be a great choice and just as easy to put in. Price it out both ways and see what you think. It's all up to you.

Here are the things you want to consider.

1. What you want when your done.
2. What you need your truck to do.
3. How much money your willing to spend.
4. How much time your willing to put into your project.
5. Availability of parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just want a cummins 12 valve in the old ford style because IMO it will be the best of both worlds. I might occassionally use it to tow my bass boat but that will be the extent of towing. I will definately use it as my firewood gettin truck and huntin truck though. I plan on upgrading the engine whenever I can as well. My original plan was to use the mount kit from fordcummins.com and their adapter plate, and pick up a 1st gen cummins from the local junkyard. But you recommend a manual so I will look into that. Also how do I go about getting a new fuel tank and lines? Is there anything particular I should get? Sorry for all the questions I just wanna do it right the first time

·
Registered
123 Posts
You ask as many questions as you need. Anybody on the forum would be glad to answer them, thats why we're here. I would start by extending your research and don't jump in yet. Keep reading and get a few different game plans. I would stay away from fordcummins and look at destroked.com and autoworldmt.com. Price some beefed up c6 trannys and the adapter plate, those are going to be your biggest buys other than the engine. Maybe even a donor truck. Look at all your options, shop around, find some deals. Look on the classifieds on this forum. The fuel tank you can find at LMC truck or even JC Whitney. I like to run the poly fuel tanks and not steal, but thats me. Fuel line is off the shelf from your local NAPA or Auto Zone and you'll make it to fit your truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess a good question would be what all do I need exactly? Because when I go to destroked.com they have all kinds of parts that I didnt think I would need. I figured all I would need would be
1)The truck
2)12 valve mechanical engine
3)Motor mounts
4)Adapter plate
5)Fuel tank and lines
Then I knew I would have to move the x member to re situate the transmission and I have to trim some of the grill and re situate the intercooler. Also why do you prefer destroked.com over fordcummins.com?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think no matter which transmission you go with, it's more cost effective to buy a donor truck with the engine in it. There area bunch of small parts that you can use from the donor besides the motor and trans. Then you can also part out the truck for extra money. I have under $1000 in my 12v, nv4500 and dana 80 rear after parting out the rest of the dodge.

Moving the trans cross member will be one of the easiest parts to the swap. I personally went with the nv4500 in my conversion because I wanted a cruiser that will get good mileage. If your going to use and adapter for a ford trans I think the general consensus is to go with destroked parts. You have to trim the trans bellhousing with the fordcummins parts.

As far as the fuel tank goes you don't want to used a galvanized tank. On a side note spectra, a large aftermarket tank manufacturer, builds diesel safe ni-terne tanks. They have a 38 gallon tank that will work with you 78 Ford.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was it a pain fitting the NV4500 in the truck or is it just as much works as moving the C6 around? Will I have to beef up the suspension in the front end because of the diesel's weight?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't think it was any harder to put in the nv4500 than it would have been to move the c6. The hardest part was mounting the clutch master cylinder. With the c6 you'd have to modify the shift linkage or install a floor shifter and rework the cooling lines Look at chasetruck and hrdrkn's threads for a good idea on how do mount that, and actually the whole swap. Their swaps are very detailed and high quality.

I have a 77 F-250 that came from the factory with a 400 at one point in time it had a 460 so I'm not sure if the front springs were ever messed with. When I bought it it had no engine and when I set the cummins into it the front end went down less than half an inch. All that to say you probably won't have an issue with the front suspension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts