Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin at 2 trucks. One is a 5.9 and one is a 6.7 both autos. I've read that the 5.9 is a better due to emmisions crap on the 6.7. My wife has a 2 mile commute to work and at least for the next 11 months, she will be driving it to work 5 days a week. Question is one truck better for the short commute than the other? I think I read somewhere that the emmisions crap on the 6.7 is bad for short trips. Is there anything I should know for decision basis about short commutes on diesels? Thanks for any input. This will be my first diesel and I want it to last a long time.

· Registered
666 Posts
Neither are great for just commuting, they both are great for towing, if you never tow anything they will take years to break in, the 6.7 would probable go into regen a lot if you never got out and made her work. I really like my 06, 5.9,

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on towing my camper once or twice a month as much as possible. I can take it out an run it on the weekends, that will be the only time I get to drive it so you know I'll run it then!! ha ha.. My camper is about 7K lbs loaded up so it would give it a good work out. So you think the 5.9 would be better? Any other takers/opinions?

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Ya fuel mileage won't be great for either of them in the city but for a short commute like your I would say a 5.9. Not saying the 6.7 won't do it but the 5.9 SHOULD be more trouble free.

· Registered
494 Posts
Well there is alot of trouble with the 6.7 on short drives and the fuel milage is worse to because the truck will regen alot more. The 5.9 are good, as you know my 5.9 has 460,000 miles now. But with the 6.7 you get the exhaust brake and that's real handy when towing. I believe to keep the 6.7 running as long as the 5.9 you delete the egr, dpf and it will last and the fuel mileage will be alot better. I am getting 20mpg now. I would say if you want to do the deletes and mod the truck get the 6.7. If you want to buy it and just drive it get the 5.9. Both of my trucks are manuels but from what I have read on here guys like the new 6 speed autos in the 6.7's better too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.