Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems to have a mind of its own lately..

has been cranking longer and longer before it starts.. occasionaly it won't start at all...( did this about 5 times now..) for the first time i gave it a sniff of ether and fired right up.. this is during a no start ... just ridiculous.. love my cummins but just starting to get fed up lately..

had a local mech put his obd2 on it and found nothing out of the ordinary.. i do have a apps acting up but am learning to deal w/ that periodicaly... apps seems to act up only when it is damp out/ raining. I have done an apps adjustment and helped for 4 months but now acting up again.. back to the mech.. he did notice that i run 15 lbs boost at idle and also 15 lbs after i shut the truck down..?? walked away for a short bit come back to STILL 15 lbs i cant remember if i got a higher boost reading at a higher rpm..

hopefully some of you CUMMINS FANS can come up with something...

stock work truck// front wheel bearings done all u joints before 60 k exhaust rusted out already.. 120,000 miles body is mint yet

any help would be apreciated thanks guys

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,031 Posts
Really sounds like a fuel problem. Does it run good once you get it started?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya seems to run fine once started.. other than the dead pedal because of the apps.. ya runs fine.. maybe a liitle short of power

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Lift pump possibly????

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
15psi of boost at idle? Sounds like a bad MAP sensor.

Hard starts can be caused by leaking, wornout injectors. And bad lift pumps.

MikeyB

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just had a guy on another forum 3 months ago who had the same problem you have with his 03 and it turned out to be his injectors, once he replaced then he no longer had any problems with his truck. BTW noting showed up on a obd2 scanner that one mechanic used to check for codes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
15 psi at idle is (should) be due to a fuel box or programmer. mine reads 15 also, but thats because i have the performance program in. it sends that reading so that it will throw fuel in as soon as the accellerator is pressed, not when boost is high enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lift pump has been changed to in tank version.. if my injectors where bad wouldn't the truck run sluggish ???

once started it runs fine...

should i have 15 lbs boost at idle?? being stock

i have 5400psi at the rail at idle and when i rev it up the psi goes sky high.. is there a max psi ?? if i remember correctly it jumped to over 15,000 at 2200 rpms

thanks to all that are picking yer brains

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
had a snap on obd and first reading it gives me 5000 psi but it does read a bit slow of course truck starts when your trying to read it at crank

today had to ether again and now i got the 0483 0113 and 0237 codes

i unplugged the boost plug to try and start so that explains that but intake temp high>>??? is this cause of the starting fluid? wierd stuff man

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will look further into the map sensor situation..
gettin real bad now almost every time require a lil sqirt to start her.. not good

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If you have to use ether to get it started, I'd disconnect the grid heater power wires from the passenger battery. That may keep you from having a problem when the ether goes through the heater.

When you get it fixed, you can hook the power wire back up and be ready for cold weather again.

Randy

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,245 Posts
had a snap on obd and first reading it gives me 5000 psi but it does read a bit slow of course truck starts when your trying to read it at crank

today had to ether again and now i got the 0483 0113 and 0237 codes

i unplugged the boost plug to try and start so that explains that but intake temp high>>??? is this cause of the starting fluid? wierd stuff man
CODE 0483= FAN SPEED RATIONALITY MALFUNCTION, 0113= AIR INTAKE TEMP CIRCUIT HIGH, 0237= TURBOCHARCHER BOOST CIRCUIT SENSOR INPUT LOW

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my 03 back from the dealer they replaced the lift pump for this problem but it did not fix it .Then they replaced the computer still no fix.They finally found a fuel vavle was sticking on it .cost me about 2700 and they billed chrysler about 4,000.Verry costly trip to the dealer hope i get another 130,000 miles before I go back again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got my 03 back from the dealer they replaced the lift pump for this problem but it did not fix it .Then they replaced the computer still no fix.They finally found a fuel vavle was sticking on it .cost me about 2700 and they billed chrysler about 4,000.Verry costly trip to the dealer hope i get another 130,000 miles before I go back again.
STICKING FUEL VALVE?? WHERE IS THIS PART LOCATED?? THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I AM SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS HERE RATHER THAN SPENDING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR NO REASON AT A DEALER... :thumbsup
MOST (NOT ALL) DEALERSHIPS HAVE UNDERPAID WORKERS THERE THAT HAVE NO AMBITION TO FIND THE REAL PROBLEM..THEY JUST PUT IN THEIR TIME AND SPEND OODLES OF OUR MONEY TO TRY AND SEE IF THINGS FIX THE PROBLEM... SOMETIMES IT TAKES A LIL BRAINWORK BEFORE WE SPEND ALL OF OUR LOOT..

WE JUST MAYBE ON TO SOMETHING HERE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is there a way to clean injectorsZ? and does my n\model have injectors and nozzles.. ? i asm unfamiliar..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
is there a way to clean injectorsZ? and does my n\model have injectors and nozzles.. ? i asm unfamiliar..
Do you use any fuel additive? This ULSD does not lube the injectors as well as LSD. My diesel mechanic highly recommended using Stanadyne Performance Blend. It will clean you system and lube the injectors. Maybe this can help you out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts